Heather Clarke's book?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
David Levine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Heather Clarke's book?

Post by David Levine »

What is the consensus on Heather Clarke's book, New Method of Piping? Thanks.
djm

Post by djm »

It is considered the premier of written tutors for UPs. Please see the FAQ thread for more info.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

IMHO it's the best of the tutors.
PJ
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

as a padawan learner, it helped me understand a LOT more about the pipes.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

myrddinemrys wrote:as a padawan learner
...translation please?

Also, I think Dr. Clarke's tutor is great, by the way. I have always wondered at her pronunciation of "Si Bheag, Si Mhor" however. She says it like " she veg, she vor". Is it not more like "she veg, she wore"?

T
DarthWeasel

Very Good

Post by DarthWeasel »

I have this and the david spillane book. Don't get the david spillane book, its just a finger chart and a collection of tunes. I was so mad when I saw skimmed through that book.

My only comment about this book is that on the CD she tends to play too fast even when she is trying to play slowly for you. But if you get some software like amazing slowdowner, it is fine.
"Sleep well, and dream of large women"
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

For some reason, I'm posting in stereo today.
Last edited by PJ on Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
PJ
PJ

Post by PJ »

tommykleen wrote:She says it like " she veg, she vor". Is it not more like "she veg, she wore"?
There are several distinctly different Irish accents, without getting into the whole Donegal Gaeltacht vs West Cork Gaeltacht dialect argument. There's also the possibility that the good Doctor spoke An Roinn Oideachais Irish (like myself :wink: ).
PJ
gold ring

Post by gold ring »

She Veug she Vore is about as close a spelling in pronunciation terms. While accent is different in parts of the country this is pretty correct no matter where you are.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

gold ring wrote:She Veug she Vore is about as close a spelling in pronunciation terms. While accent is different in parts of the country this is pretty correct no matter where you are.
I refute this. I cannot think of a situation where I have not heard 'mh' pronounced as a 'w'...where there is a long vowel after it.

Anyone else?

Annecdote: I have a young friend who has a violin music book with Si Beag Si Mor in it. They give the translation as "So Little, So Big" thus successfully returning Irish to its French roots. :boggle:
PJ

Post by PJ »

tommykleen wrote:I refute this. I cannot think of a situation where I have not heard 'mh' pronounced as a 'w'...where there is a long vowel after it.
It's not "mh" but I've had my name in Irish (Suibhne) pronounced variously "Siv-na" and "Su-wi-na", depending which part of Ireland I've been in. The former being more in the south and the latter being more in the North and West.
PJ
djm

Post by djm »

I'm not an expert by any means, but the rules don't seem so hard and fast. "mh" is normally considered a "broad" consonant, and so pronounced "w". But it can sometimes be pronounced "v" when followed by a "slender" vowel, or at the end of a word like creidimh, or when its just easier to pronounce a "v" instead of a "w" sound. I have only ever heard the tune pronounced "Shee Vegg Shee Vorr".
Sí = fairy mound and/or its inhabitants.
Bheag = little, small
Mhór = large in size or extent

djm
David Levine

Pronunciation, definitively...

Post by David Levine »

She begs for more.
gold ring

Post by gold ring »

Tommykleen.....It's pronounced similiarly to a V.....I didn't make any reference to a W. I would like to know who you are to refute what I said. For your information I am an honours Irish graduate from Trinity College. Silence displays no ignorance!! By the way Si refers to a hill. Little hill big hill is what the title means. DJM is quite correct on all counts....congrats to you!
djm

Post by djm »

Goldy, An Gúm disagrees with you. My definition comes straight out of Foclóir Gaeilge-Béarla by Niall Ó Dónal. :)

djm