Touring flute in Europe

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
vanessa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by vanessa »

Hi All :) ,

Here's the latest update on Jon's blackwood Rudall touring flute:

It's quite incredible really how this flute and I are hitting it off :) - I know there is this controversy about the player versus flute argument, and I really don't want to put fuel to the fire here but the strange thing is that I seem to get a better tone out of Jon's flute compared to my Hammy which I presume means that somehow Jon's flute is better suited to the way I find most natural to play.

And another thing: I have had problems recently with rather sever tendonitis in my hands and wrist but although Jon's flute is a big flute it balances much easier in my hands than my other flute, hence I feel no strain playing - the reason being that my Hammy feels a little more top heavy and that's why I find it harder to balance it but Jon's flute has the natural tendency to drop towards the other side, so when I lean it against my lower lip it becomes perfectly balanced as I hold it, and I don't get this feeling of the flute wanting to tilt with tail end towards the heavens. Jon's flute just lies gently in my hand and there is no pressure on what I describe as the 'root of my index finger' ie the part where the flute rests on as you hold it inbetween the index finger and thumb of the left hand - not sure if that description makes sense to anyone :-? . So this flute is therapy for me, and I can play without pain or loosing sensation in my fingers - and that's a real blessing :) . Of course having said that I don't want to knock Hammy's flutes in any - as everyone knows Hammy's flutes are wonderful, wonderful flutes :party: :party: :party: so my problem holding it has to do with my own physiological make-up and deficiencies.

And if anyone is interested - I had a lesson with my teacher today and she tried out the flute, and she also expressed it was a really lovely flute :) :) :) . Without me saying anything she also noticed the difference of the tone which we both agreed possessed a beautiful dark and woody quality. Also, my teacher commented on how loud this flute is as I played it, and I'm surprising myself with what this flute allows me to do.

The thing is I don't know how it works but playing this flute feels like magic to me, and it allows me to produce a tone I could have only dreamt of :) .

I'm completely smitten with Jon's flute :party: - and my teacher when she saw how well the flute and I bonded even suggested to me that I should sell my Hammie to purchase one of Jon's flutes. Unfortunately, the Hammy has a lot of sentimental value to me, so I'm not ready to part with it yet :( - still, I have no doubt in my mind that I would love to have Jon's flute as my first flute :D - so I will be putting in an order as soon as my financial situation permits me :) - and I don't know how many people know this but I can tell you that what Jon charges is more than reasonable - it's one hell of a bargain because the flutes Jon makes are magical :) .

And I know for certain that when it's time for me to pass on the touring flute to the next person, there are going to be tears and lots of them because I really don't want to let this flute go :cry: ... this is how much I like it... feels like love at first sight and it's one passionate affair :) ...

I'll keep you posted :) ,

Vanessa

PS Oh, and another thing - I took off the teflon tape around the joints of the flute and let the flute rest on an honorable place on my kitchen counter, and lo and behold the next morning all the joints fitted snugly together - no need for plumber's tape - it's just perfect as it is :)
vanessa

Post by vanessa »

Just finished playing a full hour of slow airs - and I must say with this flute I can really loose myself... this flute is allowing me to bend and shape notes as I have never done before and I seem to discover new tonal colours ranging from those with dark mournful qualities to those with a bright crisp springlike lift... I don't know how to describe it but this flute is so dynamic that it helps me shift my playing from the bland into the mulitdimensional... I'm still awestruck by this flute :boggle: ...

... and still no finger or wrist pain even when I play for long stretches at the time...

... what a pleasure.... what a fab instrument... :) :) :) :)
Hoovorff

Post by Hoovorff »

Vanessa,

what style of Rudall is your Jon C model? One of the smaller-holed Rudall/Rose models, or a Rudall/Carte? (Just curious! :) )

Sounds like you're having great fun with that flute!

Jeanie
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Makes ya want to know, doesn't it?! :wink:

It's a RR, here's the page with a picture:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... c&start=30
~~~~
Barry
vanessa

Post by vanessa »

Hi Jeanie,

spiderweb said it all :) and if it interests you I might add that the flute I'm playing is by no means a quaint little flute - if I put my Hammy Pratten beside it, you'll find that Jon's flute is the longer flute and if you look at the tone holes, they are not that much smaller - yet if you look at it the main body of Jon's flute is a bit slimmer.

Still, although this is a big flute it is extremely comfortable to play - as I said I have bad problems with tendonitis so much so that I can loose complete feeling in my fingers and my Hammy, no matter how much I love it, aggreviates the condition... however, when I play Jon C's flute I can play it for hours without experiencing any adverse affects - what can I say, it's beautifully balanced and suits my short and stumpy hands perfectly... I have no problem with reach or covering the holes and it's not slipping away from me but when placed against my lower lip it doesn't take any effort at all to hold horizontally.... this frees my fingers up totally without experiencing any strain which means no pain :)

And the range and depth of colour in tone production is incredible and also the volume... believe it or not but I can play Jon C's flute with much more of bark... yes, you could argue that in 10 years time I might achieve the same on my Hammy, which everyone here knows is a super flute, but I'm not a child and 10 years is a long time... you see, I started taking up the flute later in life and I can't just turn the clock back and make up for time lost but Jon's flute allows me to step up on the flute playing ladder... it gives me a jump start and great encouragment and although this doesn't mean I can just sit back and twiddle my thumbs thinking it will all come naturally, Jon C flute has turned hard practice a most rewarding and enjoyable experience and cut out much of the frustrations... and for someone like me that's worth more than words can say...
vanessa

Post by vanessa »

Yippee :D ... I placed my order with Jon C :party: :party: :party: :party:

And since several people have asked me for Jon C's direct email, I hope Jon doesn't mind if I post it here :) :

cochranflutes@gmail.com

And after talking to a nice person on the forum :) , I have discovered that Jon does all sorts of custom work on flutes and zillions of different models in a variety of woods and also in delrin apart from all the restoration stuff he does :boggle: - but as yee all know I have fallen head over heels for his blackwood Rudall and Rose :wink:
michael_coleman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

I think you will enjoy his Blackwood R&R, even in the years to come. I have his very first "real flute" (I think he made a delrin copy of mine before to be sure he didn't ruin the blackwood on his first try) and I love it. I have been considering buying one of his antique flutes he has restored or getting a R&C from him...decisions....decisions.

He hates working with Delrin so people should probably just buy wooden flutes from him, right Jon? :)
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

michael_coleman wrote: He hates working with Delrin so people should probably just buy wooden flutes from him, right Jon? :)
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!!!! :swear:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Just to note there is a Jon C large hole blackwood
Rudall for sale now on the irishflutestore, pre-owned
flutes.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Jon C. wrote:
michael_coleman wrote: He hates working with Delrin so people should probably just buy wooden flutes from him, right Jon? :)
You do a good job with it, though. And I've hauled my Delrin Rudall places where I'd really worry about a wooden flute surviving.

Perhaps you should follow Terry McGee's lead and charge the same amount for your Delrin and wooden flutes?
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Jon C. wrote:

Ok ok ok! The next one I order from you will be wood. I promise! :D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
vanessa

Post by vanessa »

Just curious... any news on Jon's cocobolo touring flute... any updates?
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Good question, Vanessa, I was wondering about that too!
~~~~
Barry
vanessa

Post by vanessa »

A look at my very special guest :)

fluteress

Post by fluteress »

Wow. I think I really need to try one of your flutes some day soon, Jon C.! They look beautiful & Vanessa's descriptions & experiences with it on the other posts make it seem even more wonderful! :)

*drool* :D