What is "chiff?"

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Kendra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kendra »

Ok, I checked Search and got just about every thread that has ever been posted. So then I checked my own and all the major on-line dictionaries I could find. There seems to be no such word as "chiff" but it gets used here a lot :smile: Would somebody like to tell me what it means? Is it wind instrument or whistle specific? Thanks.
ndjr

Post by ndjr »

"Chiff" is a term that can have a number of meanings, one of which refers to the non-musical rustling sound a wind instrument may make as a note is blown, but in the moment before the note actually sounds. It describes the sound made during the "attack," if you are familiar with that term. Some whistles have more chiff than others.

The note itself commonly drowns out the "chiff," but not always, so the term can also refer to breathy sounds that may accompany the note in some whistles or other woodwinds. In my experience it is less commonly used in this way.
Best regards,

Neil Dickey
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Ah! Thanks! That's pretty much what I thought it was, but am wondering if the sound my D whistle makes if I tongue it too hard is considered chiff. It's a disgusting sharp sound just before the note plays and slightly delays the on-set of the "real" note.
ndjr

Post by ndjr »

On 2002-03-24 13:54, Kendra wrote:
Ah! Thanks! That's pretty much what I thought it was, but am wondering if the sound my D whistle makes if I tongue it too hard is considered chiff. It's a disgusting sharp sound just before the note plays and slightly delays the on-set of the "real" note.
You're welcome. :smile:

I'm not sure of the cause of that sharp sound, but will hazard a guess that you may be attacking a note in the lower register with a little too much breath pressure for your whistle. If this is correct, then what's happening is that the whistle is almost, but not quite, jumping to the second octave until your lowered breath pressure drops it back to the first. You might try playing the passage without tonguing ( <i>legato</i> is the term ) and see how that works. When you've got the change down smoothly, then bring back the tonguing if it's necessary for your interpretation of the piece.

If it's happening in the second octave, which I doubt because you said you were tonguing too hard, then you might not be using <i>enough</i> breath pressure. In this case the whistle would drop towards the first octave until you corrected it, and the remedy would be similar to the first case.

Others may have good advice to offer you as well.
Best regards,

Neil Dickey
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

I would describe chiff as a percussive tonal quality inherint in the whistle itself much like the `chop´rhythm sound sought after by bluegrass mandolin players and is extremely subjective and open to interpretation.Neil has described it well.:smile: Peace,Mike
Let the beauty we love be what we do.
There are a hundred ways to kneel and kiss the ground.

Jelaludin Rumi
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The breathy sound of organ pipes;
also of whistles. A large part
of the meaning of life, too.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Chiff is the deep awareness of whistlers that all things are transitory and that human ambition is vanity, just like "chiff before the wind."
/Bloomfield
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Gawd, that's beautiful! And
whistlers who lack that profound
awareness get into
'misschiff.' Get it?
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Chiff off, mate. :grin:
/Bloomfield
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Bet your favorite group is the
Chifftains. Oh, this is wonderful!
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

No, but they do play a nice version of "Chiffs of Moher".
/Bloomfield
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

Gee, aren't you a chiff off the 'ol block.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Tee-hee-hee!! I just LOVE those puns!
StarrM

Post by StarrM »

Hello there Jim! Was good meeting you on Saturday. You surely do have some gorgeous whistles. Thanks for recommending that I visit this message board!
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

StarrM, welcome aboard. Did Jim show you the sterling silver Copeland with engraved leaf-patteren that he bought secretly? Does it have a lot of chiff, Jim, eh? :grin:
/Bloomfield