Syn Whistle Review: Complete Set

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ShadowBG625
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Syn Whistle Review: Complete Set

Post by ShadowBG625 »

Introduction:

Erle Bartlett is a whistle maker based out of Australia. He started making Syns, and has now become fairly popular with a new batch of whistles he calls Black Diamonds. I had long debated getting a complete set, and finally, I silenced that little voice in my head (the one that controls finances) and bought one.

The Logistics of the Purchase:

It is a complete Syn whistle set: 1 whistle head; 8 bodies (keys E, Eb, D, C#, C, B, Bb, A)

They are made out of thick aluminum (not like the Walton LBWs) with a acetal (Delrin) fipple, and a brass tuning slide. In terms of price: the whistle head: $40; bodies supplied at $10 each; shipping : $15; Total: $135 AUD. Currency conversion at the time came to around $102.75 USD. I contacted Erle Bartlett directly to get my set.

Appearance

As far as I know, this set came to me new. It has some scratches, probably made during the construction process. I don’t mind. They give the set that “well-played” look. They came in a nice dark blue fabric roll case. As with most Syns, the tone holes do show SLIGHT signs of being fine-tuned after all the machining. And there is the etching of the whistle key and the word Syn on the back. I believed it was done by a chemical means, I think I read copper sulfate displacement somewhere. I sure do love chemistry!

All my new whistles go through a rigorous cleaning process. I’d say that it is an OCD impulse, but I’m not OC. The brass slide was filthy, and so was the little bit of brass on the inside of the whistle, where the two overlap. Nothing a good brass cleaner couldn’t take care of. Also, in the tone holes was some odd black residue, in all the whistles. Probably a result of the machining. It came out easily with cotton swabs.

The slide is fairly tight. It is easily moveable in all the whistles except for the Eb, which is stubborn for some reason. The slide doesn’t slip, so no worries about a sudden slippage during a session. That is everyone’s nightmare! Ahhh!

Playing characteristics:

I’m so glad that I decided to buy this Syn set. Now I haven’t played a huge variety of whistles, but comparing them to the ones that I have played, the Syns have a sound all to there own. It is a pure, clear sound, with an odd buzz to it. Very cool! They play nice in both octaves. The Syns are louder than most whistles that I’ve played. I’d love to play them outside (especially living in the country (or boonies, as some may call it), were it not for the fact that the Syns are not wind resistant. Bummer! I guess I could practice my dancing skills, and do a little wind dance while I play.

So far, I don’t have to pull out the tuning slide on the whistles. They are is tune. As for air requirements, well, there is some back pressure issues that new players may have a problem with. I love the back pressure. The set requires a fairly decent breath control. Nothing that any whistle player couldn’t provide. I have had problems with the set clogging on me. Just a little blow into the fipple, and the problem is fixed. Being that I tend to explore musical styles, I tend to use a lot on intonation. You can do much with the Syns.

Key Differences

All the keys are spectacular. I’ve heard mentioned that the A key was just too much for the bore size of the Syns. On the contrary, I think that the A key is unimaginably superb. I may even go so far as to say that it was the best whistle in the set, only for the fact that I absolutely love C’s. On some of the whistles, there is some unevenness in hole placement. I don’t mind. They still play good.

Summary:

WOW! The Syn set are really some of the best whistles I have ever played. It has some odd air requirements, but overall, a fine whistle. I suggest those who want Syns start thinking about getting them soon, as I have heard from a few people that Mr. Bartlett may soon discontinue making the Syns in favor of the Black Diamonds and other reasons pertaining to health concerns (Aluminum may be linked to Alzheimers) Don't let this discourage you from the Syns. In the simplest of terms, I sometimes wish I had more than two thumbs…(or…I could just…:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:).

And if I can get a good microphone or a decent voice recorder, I’d provide some sound clips. In the meantime, I’m playing as loud as I can. Hope you can hear me!!!
Alan
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

I certainly like my Syn D especially now that I have adjusted to it, having more playing time in.

Very solid sounding and I have found it to be the best whistle I have yet tried for quieting by placing some poster putty around the window and on the blade. It took a bit of positioning but I can get a nice clear tone over the full range yet quiet enough to play late in the evening when I have to be careful about 'noise' or to spare the neighbors my learning of a new tune. It goes a bit flat of 440Hz pitch with the putty on but the intonation remains good.
Alan
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I used to have a Syn set but that odd buzz is pretty much why I sold it. My favorite was the B I thought the Bb and A were terrible but that is my opinion FYI my main Whsitle nowadays is a Bleazey I like pressure.
MacNeil
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by MacNeil »

What, no clips?

:-?
EricWingler

Re: Syn Whistle Review: Complete Set

Post by EricWingler »

ShadowBG625 wrote: and other reasons pertaining to health concerns (Aluminum may be linked to Alzheimers) Don't let this discourage you from the Syns.
I thought that the connection between aluminum and Alzheimers was attributed to some sloppy lab work: the aluminum found in the tissue samples was from the dye used to stain them. Are there any new discoveries that would say that there is indeed a connection?
Eric Wingler
A Whistling Mathematician
ShadowBG625
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

Sorry Mac. The only mic I have is on my computer, and recording on that is just a disgrace to everything that tinwhistles stand for.

And Eric, I'm not fully aware of the alum/Alzheimer's issue, but I know it may be related to finishing work. Perhaps the polishing and such. I know of people having Alzheimers who previously worked at aluminum plants. I don't think on it much. I do worry though...in that I use aluminum foil almost everytime I cook.
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

Nice review and nice pics :D
talimirr743

Post by talimirr743 »

Very nice Review! :party:
Cheers!
~Andrew~

"As imperfect as we are, we each hold the world in our hands"
Key_of_D

Syn C

Post by Key_of_D »

I got to play a Syn C today, and whoa. I'm in love. It's a sweet whistle in my view, just the right amount of back-pressure for my liking, and the tone is awesome in my opinion. I ordered one today, so I can't wait to play some more songs on it! Pretty sweet deal for 50$. The Burkes better impress me if I'm gonna spend 140$ on one!
arnie

syn review

Post by arnie »

I just bought a Chieftain high D and find it amazingly well sounding, but.....too loud. I have to be able to play at home, in small places, as well as outside sometimes. The latter will do with the Chieftain, but playing inside is another story. I hear the syn is also quite loud. But what is is's volume compared to Chieftain? I like Syn's sound as well as it's price. Can anymone make a bit of a comparison.
JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

I know this is a little after the last message in this topic, but it might be useful.

I recently (February 2010) fought a D/C/Bb set of Syn whisltes and was delighted with the sound, feel and sheer quality of the whistles. However, I has a problem with the fingering for C natural. Having contacted Erle Bartlett, he advised my that on the D whistle the fingering for C natural was 0XXXXO. I found this was ok but was really fluffy between E' and Cnat - ok maybe it was my playing too. BUT Erle suggested I try a set with a Cnat hole!! drilled for the thumb on the bottom between the 1st and 2nd holes, perfect Cnat every time on every whistle by playing XOOOOO (as for B) but the thumb hole open. He actually offered to send me a set (from Oz to the UK) FOC, try them and post back the ones I didn't want! How's that for trust and service! They duly arrived and having tried them I posted my old ones back! The fingering change is taking a little getting used to but they are really, really good. Thanks Erle, and another thumbs up for Syn Whistles! :thumbsup:
arnie

Post by arnie »

Try halfholing, you can make any note you want!
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I've fought a lot of whistles, but never three at a go. Good man!
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I have a Syn Bflat/C/D set and a Black Diamond C and like all of them very much; I also like Erle. In addition, I recall playing Unseen's set at a NE Whistle Gathering long ago in a distant universe...
Anyway, the one thing I have difficulty wrapping my brain around (I often have such difficulty with the brain wrapping thing) is 8 tubes, 8 different keys fitting one head joint optimally or even adequately, not physically, but musically. I think there's a reason for there generally being a limit (like 3 bodies) that really work WELL with one head joint. If Erle's found a way, kudos.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

PhilO wrote:Anyway, the one thing I have difficulty wrapping my brain around (I often have such difficulty with the brain wrapping thing) is 8 tubes, 8 different keys fitting one head joint optimally or even adequately, not physically, but musically
What i'm suspecting is that's why everyone says the Syns are so loud; i don't see why you couldn't make a shorter barrel with a wider bore to fit more keys. that's what Freeman did with the mellow dog... the c whistle head fits a d body that's just as wide around as the c body, but shorter.

so if this is correct, then i'd imagine the Eb is crazy loud compared to a regular bore Eb whistle, but maybe the A is a bit more quiet than a "regular" bore A whistle, and you'd have one whistle head to fit all those keys in between.

?
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/