Does "Easy Cheese" go out of date?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Does "Easy Cheese" go out of date?

Post by Martin Milner »

I got a squirt can of Easy Cheese on my visit to the States in 2004, and I see it has a date on the bottom of Oct 04.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

You could spray some out and if it's green or smells bad it's probably no good. I personally would not eat it if it's expired. I had food poisoning once and never push fate a second time.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
missy

Post by missy »

I think that may be like Twinkies - they don't have shelf lives - they have half lives!!! :D

Seriously, there are two "dates" that may be on food in the US. One is a "use by" date. The other is a "sell by" date. If you have a "sell by" date, depending on the food product, it could last indefinately afterwards. If it's a "use by" date, I wouldn't chance it.

On a similar vein:

why does bottle water have a "use by" date on it?
(actually I know the answer to this, but it's kinda silly)
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

missy wrote: why does bottle water have a "use by" date on it?
(actually I know the answer to this, but it's kinda silly)
And the answer is?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
missy

Post by missy »

because supposedly there are "chemicals" (such as acrylamide) that "may" be absorbed from the plastic into the water. I say supposedly because the plastic used in the bottles is kept under really strict control, so absorption is highly unlikely.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
mukade

Post by mukade »

?

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Strangest thing that we ever ate that should have been expired was a head of lettuce that was in our crisper for over a month. It was crisp, green, and beautiful. We should have left it alone as an experiment.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I.D.10-t wrote:Strangest thing that we ever ate that should have been expired was a head of lettuce that was in our crisper for over a month. It was crisp, green, and beautiful. We should have left it alone as an experiment.
Y'know...I have done something like that...
my wife hates onions, so I only use them when I cook for myself. Needless to say, they don't get used very often.
One weekend, I guess about a year ago, my wife was out of town with her sister, so I thougt I'd make myself some killer fajitas or something...I bought 3 onions, and used only two...I put the other in the crisper for later.
Fast forward nine or ten months... my wife opens the crisper and discovers a scallion monster with huge tentacles growing in it. (we don't use the crisper very often, as we usually cook what we buy and only for the two of us...) Somehow Mr. Onion was able to not only survive in the fridge, but thrive (it probably canniballized a sweet potato I had in there, that's my best guess.) despite having little moisture and little light (the stalks were a pale greenish white, but they were alive and fresh)!
Against the protests of my wife I decided to keep the onion as a pet...it looks like a little baby Cthulhu! I might keep it when we move this weekend.....or even better, I may put this little horror back into the crisper to awate the next tenant :twisted:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Technically speaking, Easy Cheese is not really food at all, so I don't think it can go bad... how can something go BAD if it was never GOOD in the first place?

Food goes bad when it either gets inhabited by bacteria or fungi, or when it oxidizes. Being sealed inside a sterile airtight can, neither of these can happen so I suspect you can use this as long as you like. I'll bet that expiration date is more of a CYA (cover your ass) thing that the maker puts there, possibly as a US Govt requirement.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

brewerpaul wrote:Technically speaking, Easy Cheese is not really food at all.
I have heard that it is a good stain remover. Or was that cheese whiz…
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

One day in the supermarket I was discussing spag bol with a bloke I know as we stood by the cheese counter. I was after a block of Parmesan. He asked me why I was bothering to buy the block when you can buy it ready-grated in a tub. I said that I liked it freshly-grated. He said that he'd been using the same tub of grated for the past eleven years and it still tasted great to him. Aargh!

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Denny

Post by Denny »

...and never trust the expiration date on non food items.

:wink:
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

brewerpaul wrote:Technically speaking, Easy Cheese is not really food at all, so I don't think it can go bad... how can something go BAD if it was never GOOD in the first place?

Food goes bad when it either gets inhabited by bacteria or fungi, or when it oxidizes. Being sealed inside a sterile airtight can, neither of these can happen so I suspect you can use this as long as you like. I'll bet that expiration date is more of a CYA (cover your ass) thing that the maker puts there, possibly as a US Govt requirement.
That's presupposing that the packing environment was sterile to begin with.

Even vacuum-packed military MREs go bad (albeit after around 10 years or so at 60 degrees), because it's near impossible to get rid of all the bacteria and stuff. In fact the warmer you keep an MRE, the faster it goes bad, for exactly that reason. See the handy chart: http://www.goldenseason.com.sg/mre_shelf_life.html

Considering that the first three ingredients in Easy Cheese are milk water, and whey protien there seems plenty of "food" there for bacteria to work on. If it's past it's expiration date, I wouldn't eat it.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Wanderer wrote:
brewerpaul wrote:Technically speaking, Easy Cheese is not really food at all, so I don't think it can go bad... how can something go BAD if it was never GOOD in the first place?

That's presupposing that the packing environment was sterile to begin with.

Even vacuum-packed military MREs go bad (albeit after around 10 years or so at 60 degrees), because it's near impossible to get rid of all the bacteria and stuff. In fact the warmer you keep an MRE, the faster it goes bad, for exactly that reason. See the handy chart: http://www.goldenseason.com.sg/mre_shelf_life.html

Considering that the first three ingredients in Easy Cheese are milk water, and whey protien there seems plenty of "food" there for bacteria to work on. If it's past it's expiration date, I wouldn't eat it.
I squirted a bit out, it's still the same colour (orange), but it's a lot drippier than before, and a whole lot less appetising looking than it seemed in the supermarket in March 2004.

Actually, it wasn't even appetising in the supermarket, I just wanted to show it to my work colleagues as an example of USA good eats.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Martin Milner wrote:Actually, it wasn't even appetising in the supermarket, I just wanted to show it to my work colleagues as an example of USA good eats.
Ah, there ya go Martin!
Proud to be an American...

Don't ya just love the way we include two continents?