Odd Ad

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Charlene
antispam: No

Odd Ad

Post by Charlene »

Thought you folks would get a kick out of this ad. Read the text carefully.
2,000 Points
Earn 2,000 Points when you purchase a FREE Motorola Camera Phone! Plus receive a Bonus -- a $25 Amex Cheque! Hurry, Limited Time Offer! InPhonic Inc.
Maybe this should have gone in the fractured English thread --- "purchase" a "free" phone? I'm sure they mean purchase the calling plan.
Charlene
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

:lol: I'm glad you explained it. I never noticed a thing. That ad definitely does not make any sense! I wonder how many weird things I fall for?
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

They left out "unfree service contract" evidently.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

It seems dishonest, to me, to call something "free" which requires a purchase. For example, "two for the price of one" seems more straightforward than "buy one get one free."
Reasonable person
Walden
Denny

Post by Denny »

Walden wrote:It seems dishonest, to me, to call something "free" which requires a purchase. For example, "two for the price of one" seems more straightforward than "buy one get one free."
...hopefully you stay away from the WaldCo marketing department!
:o

in the traids it is called BOGO, which is easier to pronounce than TFTPOO...
:D
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Walden wrote:It seems dishonest, to me, to call something "free" which requires a purchase. For example, "two for the price of one" seems more straightforward than "buy one get one free."
I find the two alike enough...both imply you get two things for the price of what one normally costs.

What I don't like is the dishonesty in "2 for $10.00" price signs...It implies that you have to buy two to get that price, when most places will happily sell you one for $5.00.

My local grocery store did this recently with some canned vegetables..10 for $10. People were buying them up, thinking they were getting a deal. Normally the veggies are 80 cents each.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Denny wrote:
...hopefully you stay away from the WaldCo marketing department!
You can get the Waldco Guide to Financially Savvy Consumerism, for just 18 easy payments of $19.99, plus shipping and handling. :)
Reasonable person
Walden
scarhand

Post by scarhand »

what bugs me is that it is cheaper to buy 4 5-pound bags of flour in the grocery store than one 20-pound bag of flour!
the brave do not live forever,
but the cautious do not live at all.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

The one I hate is the Sale - buy one get the second for half price. This is usually applied to something I would never buy two of. To me this is a no sale.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Wanderer wrote:
I find the two alike enough...both imply you get two things for the price of what one normally costs.
The example I gave was silly and understated, but I think you can get my general point, which concerns things like Internet banner ads claiming that you won some item, and really, it's not free at all, but you have to subscribe to some big buying thing or something.
Reasonable person
Walden