Tenor Recorder vs. Low Whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bartleby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bartleby »

Has anyone played a tenor recorder? How would you compare it to a low whistle in terms of size, tone, playability, etc.? Although I've never seen one, except on the 'Net, the ones I've seen are 64 cm, or roughly 25 inches long; a little longer than most low 'D' whistles. From what I understand, it's tuned to a low 'C' and the fingering is basically the same as the whistle, with the addition of the low 'C' hole, which is covered by a "bell key" and played with the 4th finger of the right hand. Anyone have any experience with these instruments?
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I have a pearwood tenor recorder and a Susato low D whistle.
Tone is similar, with the recorder having slightly more volume and more "edge" to the tone.
Recorder makers use sharply angled toneholes (look at the picture of the tenor on my site and you'll see what I mean). It greatly reduces the reach, so that the tenor recorder is much easier than the low whistle in terms of reach.
You are correct that the bell tone is middle C. The range of a tenor recorder is just over two chromatic octaves.
The fingering is *not* the same, however. A whistle has 6 tone holes, a recorder has seven as well as an octave vent ("thumb hole") which is used for the upper octave which is much less shrill on recorder than on whistle.
Both are worthwhile instruments, but they do not interchange well, at least in my experience.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
---you wrote---
Has anyone played a tenor recorder? How would you compare it to a low whistle in terms of size, tone, playability, etc.? Although I've never seen one, except on the 'Net, the ones I've seen are 64 cm, or roughly 25 inches long; a little longer than most low 'D' whistles. From what I understand, it's tuned to a low 'C' and the fingering is basically the same as the whistle, with the addition of the low 'C' hole, which is covered by a "bell key" and played with the 4th finger of the right hand. Anyone have any experience with these instruments?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I played a tenor recorder once upon a time and didn't like it. The fingering on a recorder is very different from a whistle and always seemed a little awkward to me since there was so much "half-holing," especially the thumbhole to get notes in the higher octave and accidentals. I never quite felt as loose and able to play freely as I do on the whistle with its simpler, more direct fingering. The tenor had a nice tone, was quite heavy, and was very lovely to look at. Breath requirements and tonguing were different, too, with the recorders needing a sharper tonguing technique and more air, generally. IMHO, I'd get the low whistle.

As an aside, the jigs I learned on recorders consisted basically of triplets, which gave a nice rolling sound to the melody but weren't "true jigs" as I am finding out now :smile:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

For some reason, the edit form wouldn't accept my edit - I just wanted to add that recorders, especially the wooden ones, are very thick-walled, which makes them quite heavy compared to a whistle.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Tenor recorder is a terrific instrument. Yamaha makes one that is superb in plastic and sells for about $70 (I think). You will get some nasty looks at sessions if you show up with one, but they really are VERY versitile, once you learn the similar, but somewhat different fingering. Being fully chromatic is a BIG plus.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
tubafor

Post by tubafor »

I agree! The Yamaha pro recorders are great instruments - good sound, not too heavy, and they play very well. Don't be confused by some of their "school-grade" plastic instruments - these are the better ones, and are worth it. I have a full consort of these models (sopranino all the way down to bass), and for the right music, they are great.

As we've talked about before, it's all about the music... if the song works better on recorder, go for it. If it's better on whistle, that's the way to go.

Cal
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Thanks everyone for your input, I really appreciate it. Although I love playing the whistle, it's sometime shrill sound can get on wife's nerves after a while! I bought a Susato Low 'D,' but it's just too painful to play. I'm competent on the soprano recorder, but I'm looking for something with a deeper, more mellow tone and the tenor recorder caught my attention.

Now I'm going to ask a silly question. What if one were to play the tenor recorder with only the mouthpiece and the middle attachment without the bottom, or bell, attachment? How would that change the pitch of the instrument? Would it then be in the key of 'D?' Thanks for humoring me.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

If you remove the footjoint (the "bell") from the recorder, it will have the effect of badly sharpening the lower notes of each octave, to the point that it no longer will produce a real scale.

This doesn't make it act like a whistle, though.

--James
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Thanks, James, for your help. I checked out your web site, it's very well done and informative, too. Can you advise me on selecting and buying a tenor recorder? I'm looking at some on Ebay. Yesterday, I just missed getting a wooden one; now, they only have plastic ones. I've searched on the 'Net, but these things are hard to find! You can buy a soprano anywhere, but try finding a tenor!
Kelhorn Mike

Post by Kelhorn Mike »

To see tenor recorders and prices check
our website http://www.susato.com Like others
we strongly reccomend the Yamaha 300
series Tenor. It is truely a very good
instrument at a bargain price ($94.00)
Good wooden tenors start at $279.00
and up. Hope this helps.

Kelhorn Mike "SUSATO"
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Try here for a Tenor recorder.
http://www.courtlymusic.com/
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
ysgwd

Post by ysgwd »

I sold my Yamaha tenor recorder on ebay last year. It did have very nice tone, but it was much quieter, especially the lowest four notes, than any low D whistles I have tried. I sold it only because it was too quiet to be heard with stringed instruments. The finger reach was very easy, even down to the low C, compared to low E and D whistles I've tried.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I have a Yamaha tenor recorder I can
sell. good shape, etc. E mail if interested,
or leave amessage. jstone@uno.edu
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Bartleby,

The last time I went shopping for a recorder was in 1985, so I doubt there's any advice I could give you that would be current enough to help.

There is a recorder mailing list that I used to be part of, but I'll warn you openly: it's not a very friendly place. In fact, it was often openly hostile. It is a good source of info, though, if you can ignore the continuous flame wars and the massively overinflated egos.

It sounds like others here are steering you in good directions, though.

Best wishes,

--James
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

My nephew will be a 1st grader this fall. The parochial school that he is signed up in will be teaching the recorder. Yeah, I'd really rather it was whistle but I'm still happy as all heck*. I'm going to pick up a recorder too. Then we can be tootin' buddies!

*normally I'd say H-E double toothpicks but I've got to remember to watch my language around the little guy. Especially now that he is going to go to Catholic school. Auntie Mouse has to be careful.
Mary

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a
listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of
which have the potential to turn a life around. -Leo Buscaglia, author
(1924-1998)