Found a cool flute box (not commercial)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Found a cool flute box (not commercial)

Post by Jon C. »

Hi,
I bought a little anvil case at Staples made by Vaultz. It was designed for CD's. I removed the CD sleeves and will line it with foam. They sell them at Staples, (found out it is more expensive) at Best Buy and Office Max. They go for around $22. I think they would be good for air travel. Comes with a shoulder strap also, and it even locks...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Hornpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Hornpiper »

That is kickass........
Benjamin Thomas Isa Jaber
fearfaoin

Re: Found a cool flute box (not commercial)

Post by fearfaoin »

Jon C. wrote:I removed the CD sleeves and will line it with foam.
Your ideas intrigue me, and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter. :)

Where do you find the foam that you can cut holes in to accomodate
your flute?
spittle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

Nice Jon! I'll have to check that out.

I've also seen these around: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr ... B000AAN6AQ

You could throw out the chips and cards if you're not the gambling type, and use these cases. They used to carry a line (of which I have one) that were of a cool, all-aluminium look which also has clasps (no lock) and is even already lined in egg-shell foam on the top - you'd just have to cut a piece for the bottom. Alas, the smaller set we got isn't long enough for a Pratten-esque middle joint or I'd already have thrown the chips and cards into a spare shoe box!

Also FYI: My flute teacher/friend used a Chef's Knife-Case for the transport of his flutes and whistles - pretty nifty and fairly cost-effective as well compares to 'professional musicians' cases.

Cheers,
- Ryan
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

What's the best type of foam to use for these applications and how does one get it?

I've heard that in the guitar world, certain case linings can degrade chemically overtime and alter the finish of the instrument. In this case of my Rickenbacker, this has the side effect of adding a pleasant, mildly addicting fragrance to the guitar (Talk to any Rick owner and they will confirm this).

Anyways, is chemical interaction an issue to wory about with foam ona wooden flute?
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Wormdiet wrote:What's the best type of foam to use for these applications and how does one get it?

I've heard that in the guitar world, certain case linings can degrade chemically overtime and alter the finish of the instrument. In this case of my Rickenbacker, this has the side effect of adding a pleasant, mildly addicting fragrance to the guitar (Talk to any Rick owner and they will confirm this).

Anyways, is chemical interaction an issue to wory about with foam ona wooden flute?
I get the polyurathane foam at a yardage shop. It is best to glue fabric on it, so the foam doesn't touch the wood. I glue on the fabric, like felt or velvet with 77 glue adhesive. I think also that the finished instruments might be more a problem with the foam then unfinished flutes.

I like the poker box idea that Spiddle came up with. I can give the chips to my parents, they are rgular penny antee poker players... This would be a good size for Prattens.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

Jon, what are the dimensions of the box? I have some one-piece fifes that I need a decent carrying case for.

Thanks!
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

I used the wooden box from a set of reeves acrylic paints. I bought foam at a packaging supply store and cut slots to fit the three flute joints and a tube of cork grease :)
William Bajzek
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

fyffer wrote:Jon, what are the dimensions of the box? I have some one-piece fifes that I need a decent carrying case for.

Thanks!
Inner Dimmentions: 10.5" long x 6" wide x 2.5" high
Should fit your fife.
I should say that Office Depot was the most expensive place to by it. (figures! That is where I bought it... :oops: ) You could go to Best Buy and take your fife with you...
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

monkey587 wrote:I used the wooden box from a set of reeves acrylic paints. I bought foam at a packaging supply store and cut slots to fit the three flute joints and a tube of cork grease :)
The advantage of the Vaultz box, is that it can be tossed around and not get damaged. (especially if someone sits on it at a session...)
Michael Flatley

Jon
Gaaslaj
Tell us something.: I'm selling a whistle, I'm a long-time member, thanks, John. Looks like I need more words, wow, really hard to update this, not sure what else to write, hope this is enough.

77 glue?

Post by Gaaslaj »

Jon, what is 77 glue and where can you get it? Thanks, John.
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

Jon C. wrote:Inner Dimmentions: 10.5" long x 6" wide x 2.5" high
Should fit your fife.
Sadly, no. A one-piece fife (Bb) is about 15-16 inches long. Even the diagonal of the box you mention is just 12". <sigh>.

'Twas just a thought anyway.

-Chris
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
Jon C.

Re: 77 glue?

Post by Jon C. »

Gaaslaj wrote:Jon, what is 77 glue and where can you get it? Thanks, John.
It is a 3M 77 contact spray adhesive, you can get it at a hardware store or a Home Depot type place. It comes in a aresol can.
Sadly, no. A one-piece fife (Bb) is about 15-16 inches long. Even the diagonal of the box you mention is just 12". <sigh>.

'Twas just a thought anyway.
They make a larger one that might work for you, i don't know the measurements but it is the size of a binder, so you might be able to fit it in sideways. It is $40 at Best Buy
Michael Flatley

Jon
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

Jon C. wrote:
monkey587 wrote:I used the wooden box from a set of reeves acrylic paints. I bought foam at a packaging supply store and cut slots to fit the three flute joints and a tube of cork grease :)
The advantage of the Vaultz box, is that it can be tossed around and not get damaged. (especially if someone sits on it at a session...)
yeah, but it also looks like it contains expensive stuff. Of course, I don't let me flute cases out of my sight when they're out of the house, so maybe that's not a big deal.
William Bajzek
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

monkey587 wrote:
Jon C. wrote:
yeah, but it also looks like it contains expensive stuff. Of course, I don't let me flute cases out of my sight when they're out of the house, so maybe that's not a big deal.
It does contain expensive stuff! :D Maybe you could cuff it to your hand, like the spys do? :boggle:
Michael Flatley

Jon