Definition please, slang-ers

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Definition please, slang-ers

Post by The Weekenders »

Have you ever heard the term ran-tan? It's in a sea song that I am teaching and I would like to know what it means. Spent a while on the Web earlier and couldn't find a def. It would be in use in the mid to late 19th century. It's a noun. It could be a drum for keeping time, not sure.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

From the History section of the website of the Lincolnshire Police --
Ran-Tanning

Closely resembling a riot was the process known as " ran-tanning," a method of expressing indignation for which the County of Lincoln was rather notorious, particularly in the fenlands. If a person had committed some act of which the other villagers disapproved, they would congregate near his house, making a terrible noise by beating with sticks, tins, cans, buckets and kettles, playing mouth organs, booing, shouting and singing and on occasions would light a bonfire and burn an effigy of the person who had incurred their displeasure. This was carried on for a number of nights in succession.

The last known instance of "ran-tanning" occurred on the 15th February, 1928, at Quadring Fen. Constable Thomas Jukes had been posted to Gosberton a short time before this date, and on the 14th February, 1928, he was amazed to find a "ran-tan" going on at Quadring Fen. He made enquiries and learned that a woman was being "ran-tanned" because she was alleged to have made remarks scandalising her neighbours, and to have written scurrilous statements about a young lady in the village.

Constable Jukes did not interfere on that night, but on the following night he went back to the Fen with his Superintendent, Inspector, Sergeant and another constable. The "ran-tanning" was again in progress, and the police took action. It was estimated that between 30 and 40 persons were present, and on the 22nd February, 1928, 23 of them appeared before the Court at the Sessions House, Boston, charged with disorderly conduct, contrary to the County Bye-laws. For the defence it was stated that "ran-tanning" was perhaps the only survival of mob-law which existed in this country. Five of the defendants gave evidence on oath that they had not been present, and were dismissed. The other defendants were fined 5/- each and witness costs, or 7 days imprisonment in default. One man, who was charged with aiding and abetting the others by allowing them to be in his garden, was fined 10/- or 7 days imprisonment in default.

As far as is known, there have been no further cases of this nature since 1928, and although it may appear that this was a victory for the police, it is believed that the " ran-tanners " had the last laugh. It is understood that after the Court proceedings they ran a whist drive which raised sufficient money to pay their fines and also the cost of a bus which they had hired to take them to Court.
Complete document here

Lincolnshire Police Homepage
And I found a reference to this quote, although the website page was unavailble --
They banged drums, kettles, pots and pans, processing around the village singing
the Ran Tan rhyme:. "Ran tan tan, ran tan tan; to the sound of this pan. ...
The address for the page I couldn't get to was http://www.lincsheritage.org/vt/washing ... route.html , which is on the website for the Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire. The homepage says they'll be down for a few days.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

As Spock would say, "Fascinating."

I think this should be revived. I can come up with a list of folks who might benefit from a little neighborly disapproval.

:wink:
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Actually, I think the ATF ran-tanned the Waco compound with loud rock music at all hours.

Well, if this is THE definition, I guess it might mean someone who exhorts and yells at a work party, in the context of the song (Roll the Woodpile Down).
"Curly makes the old ran-tan....Curly's just a downEast man"

When I looked before, I couldn't make the Lincolnshire site work, so I appreciate it. Thanks!
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

peteinmn wrote:As Spock would say, "Fascinating."

I think this should be revived. I can come up with a list of folks who might benefit from a little neighborly disapproval.
Tony Blair's on the case. These days, it's not just the fens, it's the entire UK, and the neighbours don't shout "ran-tan", they shout "ASBO!"
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

The practise was still indulged in by women in the Tyne and Weir region as recently as about 70 years ago, possibly even more recently. it was often resorted to when the police couldn't or wouldn't act and when the men were too scared of the target to act as individuals. I think it might have been called by a different name but I can't remember what it was.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

We're pretty good at Ran Tanning here in Yellabellyland. There was a teacher once who was a really cruel thrasher of the schoolkids but the authorities wouldn't do anything about him. He was Ran Tanned continously for seven days and nights. He eventually got the message and left the county.

BTW the "old ran tan" is also local slang for going on a spectacular drinking session.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)