Quieter pipes?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Quieter pipes?

Post by Doc Jones »

OK gang I have another newbie wanabee question.

If I were wanting a set of pipes that could be played in my parlor without driving everyone out what would you recommend?

I've heard C sets are a bit less intense volume-wise and see that UPB is making them. I've also heard tell of narrow-bore chanters.

Any recommendations along the lines of makers, bore sizes or different keys (heck maybe even different kinds of pipes) would be appreciated.

The sweeter and warmer these things sound the less trouble I'll have with the Mrs. I mean, sheesh, the lady's got 13 kids. She deserves a little consideration. :lol:

Thanks much. :)

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I've a C natural chanter which is much quieter and less shrill than the concert D. I sometimes use it to practice tunes when the kids are asleep. Curiously, the C chanter takes about the same pressure as the D.
PJ
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Flat sets in general are much more mellow in tone. They don't have that cutting brilliance of a concert D set. C is nice, but a B is more mellow, and a Bb mellower still. Everything is relative of course. You can open up the reeds and try to get them to blast a bit more harshly, but your tuning would probably go out. They are designed to have a different sound. Good references to get a taste would be CDs by Jimmy O'Brien-Moran, Ronan Browne, Brian McNamara.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
teirw

flat set

Post by teirw »

I recommend you to listen to some different sets live. My C# set, made by Brian Howard, is beautifully mellow and can easily be reeded to play even more quietly. The drones play beautifully ( somebody once told me a flat set should sound like a cat purring on your lap ) and just buzz behind the chanter. The overall volume is not much louder than normal conversation and causes no disturbance to anyone in any other room, though I have to ask my son to turn down his Hi Fi when I'm playing!
Reepicheep

Re: Quieter pipes?

Post by Reepicheep »

Doc Jones wrote:Any recommendations along the lines of makers, bore sizes or different keys (heck maybe even different kinds of pipes) would be appreciated.
Northumbrian Smallpipes are considerably quieter than UP's (although I don't know how they compare to a flat set). There's even a set for sale here on the Chiff... made by John Liestman of Texas (who is also a UPiper).

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=36689
"... when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."
DIAGONALINE

Post by DIAGONALINE »

13 kIDS and you on the pipes. sheesh give her a break.

Learn how to work the hoover and take a course on Indian head massage then look after the wife. When the kids are grown up then take up the pipes.
:lol:
goldy

Post by goldy »

I'd recommend you go for a narow-bore D. This is because you will be playing at the common pitch of Irish tunes (you'd have to ask session musicians to tune down in the future and you won't ba ble to play along to CDs if that's how you intend on learning the instrument).

There are particular woods that a chanter can be made of to produce quieter volumes, but you're not going to get much quieter than a penny whistle if you go for a wide bore option. You will need to make a decision between the sound you like and the volume you like. I like a quieter chanter, but dislike the narrow-bore sound, which is why I chose a wide-bore chanter made of a quieter wood. I suggest that you seek sound samples of various types of chanter and do some internet searching about the plusses and minuses of the two types of chanter (mainly playability and ease of reed making issues).

All the best.
We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all manage to live in the same box.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

DIAGONALINE wrote:13 kIDS and you on the pipes. sheesh give her a break.

Learn how to work the hoover and take a course on Indian head massage then look after the wife. When the kids are grown up then take up the pipes.
:lol:
11 of the 13 kids play in the family band. Our house has 4 pianos, 10 fiddles, guitars, mandolins, harps, and whistles and flutes too numerous to count.

So, you see, she doesn't mind noise per se. She just likes it to be "nice" noise. Hence my question. :lol:

Doc

Doc's Website

Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Happy news. I went to a restaurant last night and a local gal was playing a Gallagher 1/2 set. First pipes I'd actually seen in person (this is Idaho remember) The things were extraordinary. Volume was just right and there was nothing "too loud", "too shrill" or "too anything else" about them.

My sweetheart was there and really liked them.

Woohoo! looks like I'm good to go.

I think I'll get a UPB half set for starters and get on someone's waiting list. :D

Thanks for the help all.

Doc

Doc's Website

Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Congratulations Doc. I hope the wait isn't too long. Seth Gallagher's waiting list is pretty good (10 months I believe) compared to most others... food for thought if you liked the tone of the 1/2 set you heard.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Doc Jones wrote:Happy news. I went to a restaurant last night and a local gal was playing a Gallagher 1/2 set. First pipes I'd actually seen in person (this is Idaho remember) The things were extraordinary. Volume was just right and there was nothing "too loud", "too shrill" or "too anything else" about them.
Just bear in mind that what doesn't sound too loud in a restaurant may in fact sound quite loud in your "parlour."

My C set sounds mellow and quiet in the furnished basement of a friend's house, but when I play it in our apartment (hardwood floors, no carpet, sparsely furnished) my neighbors downstairs and on both sides can hear it loud and clear, even if I shut myself in my office.
billh

Post by billh »

bradhurley wrote: My C set sounds mellow and quiet in the furnished basement of a friend's house, but when I play it in our apartment (hardwood floors, no carpet, sparsely furnished) my neighbors downstairs and on both sides can hear it loud and clear, even if I shut myself in my office.
Yep, making the point that one of the easiest way to get quieter pipes may be to invest in some home furnishings :-)

Then again, the reverb from hard surfaces makes them sound a lot nicer...

Bill
malanstevenson
Tell us something.: I've been playing the uilleann pipes, flute and whistle for about 18 years or so. I've been listening to Irish and Scottish traditional music for almost 40 years now.

Post by malanstevenson »

Happy news. I went to a restaurant last night and a local gal was playing a Gallagher 1/2 set. First pipes I'd actually seen in person (this is Idaho remember) The things were extraordinary. Volume was just right and there was nothing "too loud", "too shrill" or "too anything else" about them.
Hey Doc,

glad to hear you were able to see them in person - if that was Stephanie, she's an incredible musician on the whistle and fiddle as well. The half set she plays has a great sound, particularly in her hands. We haven't seen her down our way in a while at the Salt Lake Piper's Club, please give her my regards (and ask her to send us her new e-mail!).

Cheers,
Mark
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

billh wrote:Yep, making the point that one of the easiest way to get quieter pipes may be to invest in some home furnishings :-)
It's probably cheaper and quicker to buy and furnish a new house rather wait and pay for a good narrow-bore flat set :P
PJ
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Must not live in Southern California :D