About Fat-Related Posts and the "War on Fat"

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Miwokhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Miwokhill »

Not sure what the point was about the tacos keeping in the fridge. I'd probably cook half the burger and have 5 or 6 tacos for 2 and then tomorrow have hamburgers or use the other half then. Isn't there alot of walmarts in arkansas? Pretty cheap prices but I notice they jack the price up on some stuff figuring while you're there you'll buy that too.

I go to whole foods and buy a couple of pounds of really good quality ground turkey. Then I go to a more reasonably priced market and buy red onions, garlic, rice, and mix that in with the turkey, form it into patties, cook the 'burgers' and wrap and freeze whatever i don't eat that night, maybe as many as 15 or 20 patties depending on how much rice or other stuff i mix in. Then I can have a burger really quick and just microwave some broccoli or carrots on the side.

Another thing is to get some albacore, $1.14 at walmart for the solid white albacore and boil some potatoes and saute some onions and mix it all together and stick it in the oven and make sort of a tuna shepherds pie. Or you could do a regular shepherds pie with ground beef/ potato/onion...

I never buy processed dinners, frozen food etc. It's not cost effective and i don't trust the quality. Same with fast food places.

For lunch I usually make a sandwich, p-nut butter and jam and throw in an apple or banana.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

[sarcasm]
I understand now.

All the thin people are eating tofu and apple-peel salads.

So you're hungry all the time...makes ya mean.

When you see a well-fed, chubby person, something inside you just snaps, and all the Voices in your head start screaming "TOFU NO!!!" at the tops of their lungs, and suddenly you start to think about gingerbread houses, and just how big your oven really is... :o
[/sarcasm]

--James the Credible Inedible 8)
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

peeplj wrote:[sarcasm]
I understand now.

When you see a well-fed, chubby person, something inside you just snaps, and all the Voices in your head start screaming "TOFU NO!!!" at the tops of their lungs, and suddenly you start to think about gingerbread houses, and just how big your oven really is... :o
[/sarcasm]

I don't think they raise too many tofues around here. I never see anybody eating them. How do you cook them? Do you put them in a skillet with eggs, like poke?

If I wanted to make a gravy from the tofu drippings, do I use cornstarch or is it more of a flour gravy type thing?
Reasonable person
Walden
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I understand now.

[/sarcasm]

We were discussing your statement that it is cheaper to eat at fast food restaurants than to prepare your own food.

One major food expense is meat. People have been attempting to show how it can be used more sparingly (if you think that 10 pack of tacos contains a pound of beef, you are wrong) or how you can find substitutes. People have always done this with meat because it has always been expensive relative to grains. Some people are interested in eating less meat for other reasons as well.

You have chosen, again, to claim that disagreement with your point is an attack on fat people in general. You damage what credibility and authority you speak with concerning the plight of the obese person in our society by turning the disagreement of others on completely different issues into a personal attack on yourself and all fat people. If someone takes issue with your statements, not one of which have been substantiated by the way, you simply accuse them of being part of the conspiracy of hatred against fat people. I'm fat and I sure don't hate fat people, but I certainly hope people don't think all fat people share your opinions! Obesity normal in wild animals, untold millions not able to lose weight by cutting down on calories and increasing excercise, savings to be had by eating in fast food restaurants! :boggle: :boggle: :boggle: Don't bother to reply. I shan't be returning to this thread. I've had enough of the insanity, thanks.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Jack

Post by Jack »

Cynth wrote:You have chosen, again, to claim that disagreement with your point is an attack on fat people in general. You damage what credibility and authority you speak with concerning the plight of the obese person in our society by turning the disagreement of others on completely different issues into a personal attack on yourself and all fat people. If someone takes issue with your statements, not one of which have been substantiated by the way, you simply accuse them of being part of the conspiracy of hatred against fat people. I'm fat and I sure don't hate fat people, but I certainly hope people don't think all fat people share your opinions! Obesity normal in wild animals, untold millions not able to lose weight by cutting down on calories and increasing excercise, savings to be had by eating in fast food restaurants! :boggle: :boggle: :boggle: Don't bother to reply. I shan't be returning to this thread. I've had enough of the insanity, thanks.
That's a great summary.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I understand now.

[/sarcasm]

Well, I keep a Hershey Bar in my backpack for when I see somebody
well fed and chubby. When I'm about to say something nasty and
hostile I break off a piece of it and pop it in my mouth.
High in calories, true, but, well, kindness before self-
interest. Often I wander about looking
for chubby people....
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Cynth wrote: I'm fat and I sure don't hate fat people, but I certainly hope people don't think all fat people share your opinions! Obesity normal in wild animals, untold millions not able to lose weight by cutting down on calories and increasing excercise, savings to be had by eating in fast food restaurants! :boggle: :boggle: :boggle: Don't bother to reply. I shan't be returning to this thread. I've had enough of the insanity, thanks.
He's not so far off.
Reasonable person
Walden
Jack

Post by Jack »

Walden wrote:
Cynth wrote: I'm fat and I sure don't hate fat people, but I certainly hope people don't think all fat people share your opinions! Obesity normal in wild animals, untold millions not able to lose weight by cutting down on calories and increasing excercise, savings to be had by eating in fast food restaurants! :boggle: :boggle: :boggle: Don't bother to reply. I shan't be returning to this thread. I've had enough of the insanity, thanks.
He's not so far off.
I have to disagree. I fear James has let this become too much of a personal medical issue for him and has blown things out of their proper porportion. Eating too much and not excersizing will make you fat, period. It's not the only thing that might make you fat, but it will make you fat and if you want to be healthy you shouldn't do it.

But we are not supposed to be giving advice on medical-related issues now anyway:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=37795

...so we should all stop now lest we all find ourselves banished forevermore by Dale.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I understand now.

[/sarcasm]

Uh...hello? I'm not thin (did you miss that part somehow?)...in fact, according to my doctor's charts, I'm technically "obese." Nor do I eat "apple-peel salads" (and, for the record, though I may be a vegetarian, I detest tofu).

I shop the same way my mom did in the 1960s and '70s. Make a menu and a shopping list with an eye to getting the best bargain for my money and stick to it. I spend, roughly, $100 per two-week period to feed a family of three (including cat food and household necessities). Some weeks a little more, some weeks a little less. And I live in one of the most expensive areas in North America (Santa Cruz County, CA).

Our menus include curries, stir fries, pastas, enchiladas, tacos, homemade soups and stews, you name it. The only time we live on salad is during the summer when it's too hot to move, let alone cook (and then it's fresh spinach salad with sesame dressing, avocados, black olives and fresh mozzarella cheese). I regularly cook for meat eaters, and never get anything but raves. The food I cook is low fat, whole-grain and fabulous.

My point was that, while it generally is CONSIDERABLY cheaper to eat at home, if one is a good home economist, it's still no guarantee of losing weight. The bottom line is still the number of calories I consume (minimal), the amount of exercise I do (as much as I can conceivably fit into a day) and the fact that I still can't lose weight. I'm on your side, remember? I'm just pointing out that a well-designed home cooking plan is quite a bit cheaper than eating out on a regular basis.

Another point...it is considerably more expensive, as a rule, to shop day by day than it is to shop for a week or more at a time. When you're shopping for a larger period, it's easier to take advantage of bargains, and you're less likely to pick up incidental items. It seems like it would make no difference, if you're reasonably careful, but I've done both in my life as a cook, and I save, on average, more than $50 per pay period by doing all my grocery shopping in one fell swoop each pay period than by shopping day by day. For example, I note in your example that you spent $2.00 on cheese for your tacos. Surely a $2.00 package of what I presume is pre-shredded cheese would do for more than one meal of tacos for two people? I use less than a single package on an entire platter of enchiladas! When you shop for a week or more, you realize that that $2.00 is actually spread out over two or three meals, and it seems much more reasonable.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

The vast majority of my cites come from naafa.org.

The rest come from personal experience.

I find the bit about the fat animals in the wild absolutely hilarious, by the way.

I grew up in the South. A chubby animal is a healthy animal; an extremely thin animal is sick and usually dying. This is common knowledge; if you don't know that, it makes me wonder if you've ever actually seen many wild animals. You know, not on TV, but actually with your own two eyes.

Cran's posts in particular on this subject were hilarious.

--James
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

peeplj wrote:A chubby animal is a healthy animal; an extremely thin animal is sick and usually dying. This is common knowledge; if you don't know that, it makes me wonder if you've ever actually seen many wild animals. You know, not on TV, but actually with your own two eyes.
The squirrels around my house are quite fat, at present.
Reasonable person
Walden
missy

Post by missy »

processed food isn't necessarily "bad" for you - it IS more expensive.

As I said previously, Tom does all the cooking and grocery shopping now, so I'm not sure exactly what we are spending on that (if I look at the bill, there's also things such as cleaning supplies, personal needs, dog food, etc.).

But when I was doing the shopping and cooking, I'd plan meals for the week. I would do something like a roast (if we had deer, it wasn't exactly "free" but it wasn't added into the food budget...). First day was just a roast, some type of veggie, some type of starch. Next day of roast would be "openfaced" sandwich - less meat, more gravy. Third day would be "hash" - cut up and mixed with potato, pepper, onion. If there was any left after that - it would be frozen (as well as any left over gravy) and eventually all those ends and gravy would be made into goetta - a local, German inspired dish that mixes meat with pinhead oats, that after it's cooked and "set", you slice and fry.
Since I had to make most stuff from scratch anyway (substitutions for Nate for milk) - I'd make a batch and a half of lasagna, and freeze in individual portions what we didn't eat for meals to pull out and reheat.

One of our favorite meals is "mexican salad". Lb of ground beef, seasoned with taco seasoning. Mix with lettuce, black beans, garbonzo beans (chick peas) tomato, peppers, green onion - whatever you want. Mix in a can of salsa. Serve with cheese and chips or use shell boats. This will feed our family at least 2 times - with some left over for lunches.

A favorite "cheap" meal is red beans and rice, with corn bread. You have all the essential amino acids with this combination. Add various spices and make up a whole mess of it, and you'll have meals forever. And use BROWN rice - it takes longer (45 minutes) but tastes SO much better! I will NOT let a box of Minute Rice into my house.

Tom is into "meatloaf". He's got several favorites - black and blue (has bacon and blue cheese in it) - mexican (with salsa, veggies and cheddar) - and one that has spinach in it. We can get 2 meals from one recipe.

I never buy "precut" chicken unless there's a really good price on it. I buy a fryer or broiler, cut up my own, and freeze the "extras" to make stock for other recipes. We'll also do a turkey occasionally if we get a good deal on it (I will NOT use one of those " pre- basted" things!) and get lots of meals, stock, etc. from it.

We also do a lot of stews and soup in the crock pot. Throw it in in the morning - dinner's ready when you come home.

We do a lot of cooking on wood - we have an alder board and a cedar board for the oven.

During the warmer months we grill a lot. We DO pay somewhat more to get decent fish - and we often grill that with some veggies. If we grill steak, we also do portabella mushrooms - that "stretches" the meat.

Anyway - it's "doable" - it just takes a little preplanning.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Let's give this a rest, folks.