Taimse 'im Chodladh

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Key_of_D
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Taimse 'im Chodladh

Post by Key_of_D »

Forgive me if the spelling is off, I'm not fluent in the Irish language! Anyways, I can't seem to find any sheet music for this tune... Anybody know of a place I can find that? Maybe the tune is listed in an English translation I don't know. Thanks!

-Eric
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

If you go to this website and scroll down quite a ways you will find several versions of this song or air, I guess. Then it is also cross-referenced to the English title and there is more information. There are some ABC's for at least one of the versions.
http://www.ibiblio.org/fiddlers/TA.htm

You can convert the ABC's to notes (if the ABC's are for the version of the air you want) at this website:
http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html
If you have trouble, make sure there are no spaces between the lines. I think it will work if it is single spaced.

If you go here and type in the title, you will find some sheet music (gifs) also.
http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/tunefind

Sometimes when I clicked on GIF it didn't seem to be working. That hasn't happened to me before there, so I think it is just temporary.

There is probably one version that everyone knows about, but I don't so I am giving you a lot of options. :lol:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

I just notated a version for a harmonica publication! I found it extremely difficult to write down in such a way as to reflect the note-lengths and I don't think I succeeded. What I've written down doesn't sound, in several places, much like what I play. I try to learn tunes by ear but I found that to be very difficult with this tune. Recorded versions are very individualistic, as you'd expect. There are several verses that are (were?) sung to this air and I suggest you google the name and look at the words. It's a tune that encapsulates very well the issues about slow air-playing that we debated in a recent thread. I won't say too much more as I don't want Peter shoutin' at me! :D

Only joking, mate!
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...if one wants to play an air well, the best way (short of learning to sing it yourself) is to listen to it sung by a good sean-nós singer. In fact, I think it's absolutely vital. Most of these tunes were developed for sean-nós songs, which are sung freely, without regard for meter, and with great individual interpretation. When attempts are made to force them into classical notation, the tunes suffer greatly.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

I realise that, but, I just wanted it in case I forgot the notes to it one day, I'll have some reference to it. I'm trying to make a personal tune book for me; my favorite tunes that is. Just something I want to do. Regardless, I still can't find sheet music for this tune. At least not free. So far I'd have to spend 7$ plus shipping on some book that has tunes I'm not interested in.

I tried that ABC thing, and I couldn't get it convert for the life of me. And since I don't normally use ABC, I don't know hardly anything about it.

I can't even find Midi's for it! Must not be that popular a tune. I think it's a powerful tune (or has the ablitity to be powerful) and sounds amazing on the uilleann pipes. Other than some Clips and Snips recordings and Paddy Moloney's version from The Celtic Harp cd, I've got nothin'.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Planxty: The Woman I loved so well. I have heard Iarla O'L sing it wit hafro Celt, Dan O Dowd recorded it (but you won't be able to fidn that I suppose). Tadgh Crowley's tutor for the pipes has a decent written version.
djm

Post by djm »

Peter Laban wrote:Tadgh Crowley's tutor for the pipes
That book has been unavailable for at least a decade, unless you can tell us of a secret stash from which they may be obtained. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I remember seeing it on a Piping website. Maybe SLPC.

The title means "I am sleeping do not wake me" or something similar.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Key_of_D wrote:I realise that, but, I just wanted it in case I forgot the notes to it one day, I'll have some reference to it. I'm trying to make a personal tune book for me; my favorite tunes that is. Just something I want to do. Regardless, I still can't find sheet music for this tune. At least not free. So far I'd have to spend 7$ plus shipping on some book that has tunes I'm not interested in.

I tried that ABC thing, and I couldn't get it convert for the life of me. And since I don't normally use ABC, I don't know hardly anything about it.

I can't even find Midi's for it! Must not be that popular a tune. I think it's a powerful tune (or has the ablitity to be powerful) and sounds amazing on the uilleann pipes. Other than some Clips and Snips recordings and Paddy Moloney's version from The Celtic Harp cd, I've got nothin'.
The Planxty version Peter mentioned is great. Noel Hill also does it really well on The Irish Concertina. If you pm me your address I'll send you a copy of my version for free, though whether it works for anyone but me is a moot point. I know what you mean about a private tune book. Sometimes it's nice to have some dots for a tune even though that isn't how you learned it or even play it. Sometimes you just need a reminder!
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

Sean og Potts recorded it on the RealWorld compilation Lament, still available from Amazon. Can't get much better than that.
kenny

Wrong album

Post by kenny »

Sorry, Peter - not "The Woman I Loved So Well", it's on "Words And Music".
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Aargh, the mind is going. You're right ofcourse.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Key_of_D wrote:I realise that, but, I just wanted it in case I forgot the notes to it one day, I'll have some reference to it. I'm trying to make a personal tune book for me; my favorite tunes that is. Just something I want to do. Regardless, I still can't find sheet music for this tune. At least not free. So far I'd have to spend 7$ plus shipping on some book that has tunes I'm not interested in.

Okay, I don't know if this will help you at all, but here are the converted ABC things from Fiddler's Companion. I don't know anything about them either except this. From that website, the ABC looks like this when you paste it, it gets empty lines between the typing even though it doesn't look like that on the page you copy it from. It looks like this:
X:2

T:I am asleep and don’t wake me

M:3/4

L:1/8

S:Stanford/Petrie (1905), No. 488

Z:AK/Fiddler’s Companion

K:F

FG/A/ | B2B2B2 | A2A2A2 | FA/c/ BA GF | D4 C2 |

C2D2 F>G | A2c2 (3dcB | A4G2 | F4 :|

|| cd | _e4 e2 | d4 cA | c2d2f2 | f2 dc A2 | _e2 e2e2 |

d4 cA | F2 FG AF | G2F2 F/A/c/d/ | _e2 ef gf | _e2 dc fd/c/ |

B2 AF GD | F2D2C2 | D2F2F2 | AB c2 f/d/c/B/ | A4 G2 | F4 ||

So first you paste it in the Concertina Convert-a- Matic window. Then you delete the empty lines so that it looks like this:

What you get is a gif. You have to save it to your computer---it will not stay there long because that website can't store everything everyone pastes in there. You can also click on PDF and it will convert it to a bigger, nicer copy that you can save to your computer.

http://www.ibiblio.org/fiddlers/TA.htm
TÁIMSE IM' CODLAD/CHODLADH [1]. AKA – “Táimse am Chodladh.” AKA and see "I am Asleep {and Don't Waken Me} [1]." Irish, Air (3/4 time, “Slow with feeling” {Goodman}). G Mixolydian (Roche, Tubridy): D Major/A Mixolydian (Crantich). Standard. AAB. See note for “I am asleep” for more information about this ancient melody. Source for notated version: the 1861 manscript collection of James Goodman, an Anglican cleric who collected in County Cork [Shields]. Cranitch (Irish Fiddle Book), 1996; No. 97, pg. 166. Roche Collection, 1982, vol. 1; No. 54, pg. 27 (traditional version). Shields (Tunes of the Munster Pipers), 1998; No. 20, pg. 12. Tubridy (Irish Traditional Music, Book Two), 1999; pg. 46. Bedspring Music, Billy (Belinda) Jones – “Turn to Me.” Daris, Delores Keane – “Eist Aris.” Globestyle Irish CDORBD 085, Julia Clifford - “The Rushy Mountain” (1994. A reissue CD of Topic recordings from Sliabh Luachra musicians). Rounder Records 82161-6006-2, Maida Sugrue – “Traditional Irish Music in America: Chicago.”

X:1
T:Táimse im’ chodladh [1]
R:Air
K:G
AF|G3A Bc|d2f3e|d4cA|GF D4|B4 AG|Ad3 c/A/ F|G4F2|G4 AF|G3A Bc|
d2f3e|d4 cA|GF D4|B4 AG|A d3 c/A/ F|G4 F2 G4||AB|c A3 d2|f4 d/e/f|
g4f2|ga d4|e|g3 g a/g/f|g4 fe|d4 cA|GA G4|de|f3 g a/g/f|g3 fe|d3 cA|
GF D4|B4 AG|A d3 c/A/F|G4F2|G4||

TÁIMSE IM' CODLAD [2]. AKA and see "I am Asleep and Don't Waken Me [2].)" Irish, Air (3/4 time). A Mixolydian. Standard. ABB. "From Thomas Moore's Melodies" (Roche). Roche Collection, 1982, Vol. 1; No. 53, pg. 27.

TÁIMSE MO CHODLADH. Irish, Air (3/4 time). G Major. Standard. AAB. Ó Canainn (Traditional Slow Airs of Ireland), 1995; No. 54, pg. 49.

http://www.ibiblio.org/fiddlers/I.htm#I ... EN_ME}_[1]
I AM ASLEEP {AND DON'T WAKEN ME} [1] ("Tha mi am chadal," or "Taimse 'im chadal"). AKA and see "Taimse 'im Chodladh." Scottish, Irish; Slow Air (3/4 time). F Major. Standard. AAB. This tune, an "ancient simple set," "is claimed by both the Irish and Lowland Scotch. There being very ancient Gaelic words to it, the Highlands have as well‑founded a claim to it as either, which the editor is bound to assert. It was since the air was printed that he observed it furnished with words by H. MacNeil, Esq., who is entirely of the editor's opinion, regarding its origin" (Fraser). As with many tunes the national origin is in dispute, and Paddy Moloney of the Chieftains, echoing (word for word) the early 19th century collector Edward Bunting, believes this "ancient and beautiful air (was) unwarrantably appropriated by the Scots." Bunting (1840) notes that Hector O'Neill, a Scot, wrote words to it. Fraser (The Airs and Melodies Peculiar to the Highlands of Scotland and the Isles), 1874; No. 34, pg. 12.

T:I am asleep [1]
T:Tha mi am chadal
N:”Ancient simple set”
S:Fraser Collection (1874)
CD/E/ F4|F4 A2|GABAGF|D4 C2|A>Bc>e f2|A3B G2|1 F6:|2 F4||
c>d|_e3 gfe|d2 e2 f2|c3 dfg|f2d2c2|_edegfe|d3=e f2|c2 BAGF|F2D2C2|
f2e2d2|c2B2A2|G3 FAG|F3 G/A/ C2|D>E F4|AgedcB|A3B G2|F6||

I AM ASLEEP AND DON'T WAKEN ME [2] ("Taim I Mo Chodhladh Is Na Duisigh Me," "Táimse im/mo Chodladh" or "Ta me mo chodladh"). AKA and see “Cold, frosty morning,” "Lament of a Druid,” "Past one o'clock," "Thamama Hulla" (an Englished version of the Irish title). Irish, Air (3/4 time). F Major (O’Sullivan/Bunting): F Mixolydian (Stanford/Petrie). Standard. AB (O’Sullivan/Bunting): AAB (Stanford/Petrie). A variant of version #1. Cowdery (1990) identifies this tune as a member of "The Blackbird" family. The first printing of the tune was apparently in Neales’ Collection of the Most Celebrated Irish Tunes (Dublin, 1726), the first collection of Irish melodies (Ó Canainn, 1978), though the Scots were quick to take it up as it appear in Stuart's Music for TTM, c.1725/6 (where it appears as "Chami ma chattle"). It was used in ballad operas of the 18th century and is still quite common in the tradition.
A story is told by O'Neill regarding this tune, quoted in O'Sullivan (1983):
When at Mr. Macdonnell's of Knochranty in the county of Roscommon, he met a young nobleman from Germany who had come to Ireland to look after some property to which he had a claim through his mother. "He was one of the most finished and accomplished young gentlemen," says O'Neill, "that I ever met. When on one occasion Hugh O'Neill and I played our last tunes for him, he wished to call for 'Past one o'clock,' or 'Tha me mo chodladh, naar dhoesk a me,' which he had heard played somewhere before, but for the name he was at a loss. Perceiving me going towards the door, he followed me, and said that the name of his bootmaker was Tommy McCullagh, and that the tune he wanted was like saying 'Tommy McCullagh made boots for me;' and in the broad way he pronounced it, it was not unlike the Irish name. I went in with him and played it, on which he seemed uncommonly happy.
Blind harper Arthur O’Neill (1734-1818), originally from County Tyrone, mentioned the tune (as “Past One O’Clock”) in his memoirs. As a young man he stayed seven years with a Colonel White of Red Hill, County Cavan, and visited his neighbor, a Mr. Norris Thompson, every Saturday night:
I spent my time very pleasantly between Colonel White and Mr. Thompson. I spent one Saturday night with Mr. Thompson particularly and he was so uncommon fond of the tune ‘Past one o’clock’ that we both tête-à-tête finished four bottles of good old port wine, I playing the tune all the time except when lifting my hand to my head.
A translation by Dr. Eoin O’Neill of the Irish lyric, goes:
As I was abroad late one evening
-I am asleep and don't waken me-
It happened that I noticed by my side a beautiful apparition
Her curly, ringleted, cascading surplus of tresses fell over her trembling limbs,
As she launched the arrows that pierced me in the side.
-I am sleep and don't waken me-
Arise my loyal family and take up your weapons
And level to the ground every English clown.
If only three survive, let there be shouts of triumph in all your towns;
From Carrick-on-Suir west to the banks of Dingle
Raise your blades and give the English their own treachery;
Source for notated version: Bunting noted the melody from Hempson the harper at Magilligan in 1792. Holden (Collection of Old-Established Irish slow and quick tunes), volume II, Nos. 15 & 35. Mulholland (Ancient Irish Airs), No. 32. Neal (Collection of most Celebrated Irish Tunes), 1726; pg. 12. O'Farrell (Pocket Companion for the Irish or Union Pipes), No. 168. O'Neill (Music of Ireland: 1850 Selections), 1903/1979; No. 599. O'Sullivan/Bunting, 1983; No. 100, pgs. 144-146. Stanford/Petrie (Complete Collection), 1905; No. 488, pg. 123. Burke Thumoth (Twelve Scotch and Twelve Irish Airs), pg. 15. Walker (Historical Memoirs of the Irish Bards), No. 32. RCA 09026-61490-2, The Chieftains - "The Celtic Harp" (1993). Topic 12T184, Willie Clancy - "The Breeze From Erin" (1969).

T:I’m Asleep and Don’t Awaken Me
S:O’Neill – Music of Ireland (1903), No. 599
F>D|C>D F2F z|F4 F2|G2 F/4G/2<A A/4G/2<F|D4 C2|D2F2F2|
A2 c2 d/4c/2<A|G3 F A/4G/2<F|F4:|
||c>d|{d}e4 ef/e/|{^c}d4 d_e/d/|{=B}c4 d>e|d2c2A2|c2d2f2|f4 d>c|A2G2F2|F>G D>F C2|{d}e4 f>_e|{^c}d4 =c>A|c>d f>d c>A|G>F D>F C2|D2F2f2|[D2d2] c>A G>F|
G4 F2|F4||F/4G/2<A|B2 cBAG|A2 BAGF|G>A c>G A>F|D4 C2|D2F2f2|d2 c<A G<F|
G4 F2|F4||C>D|[C4_E4] [CE] z|[B,4D4][B,D]z|C4 C z|C2 A,2 C2|C2 D2 F2|
F3G F/4G/2<A|AG F/4G/2<A A/4G/2<F|D4 cd|[c4_e4][ce]|[B4d4] c<A|c>d f>d c>A|
G>F D>F C2|D2F2f2|d2 cA GF|G4F A/4G/2<F|F4||

Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca