Glenn Watson Flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
smoro
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Glenn Watson Flutes

Post by smoro »

Hi guys,
I purchased my new 6 keyed Rudall style Watson flute.
It is one of the best flutes I tried on my life, deep tone, great volumen, perfectly balanced and tuned, light in weight, great handycraft...the work of a master. This flute can match my Wilkes, what else can I say?

Glenn is so nice guy to deal with that he doesn´t matter to spendall the time you need to answer any question, a polited man and very serius at work. He gave me the flute in the date planned, only 7 months, and I think the price is really good as well.

I am sure that very soon Watson will be considered as good as all the great makers you have in mind.

Regards,
Serafin.
cocusflute

Whist.

Post by cocusflute »

Ssh. Don't tell anybody.
Everybody will want one and they'll be harder to get.
smoro

Post by smoro »

You are right, you are right, but....I don´t care, I have the mine one! :devil:
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Interesting syntax there, Smoro...
:D
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

I tried that very same flute a couple of weeks ago. The truth is that I found it gorgeous at first sight (didn't like the case, though). Then a real honk followed for all notes very easily. Excellent tuning. Very light, classy and easy to play. Compared to my Murray I found it less reedy but maybe more volume and an superb tuning in both octaves.

Glenn recommended oiling quite a lot. After oiling and removing some remaining sanding dust, the sound turned brighter, with that feeling that the air really flows through the flute and according to what I've read and talked to the owner, that baby has just born and keeps on improving.
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
cocusflute

The secret's out....

Post by cocusflute »

Now you've done it, you Europeans! Glenn Watson is no longer a secret.
Buy one now, if you can, while they're still priced well below their worth.
Doc, are you reading this thread? Kathy?
Get one before it's too late!
smoro

Post by smoro »

The Sporting Pitchfork
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Oh no...How am I supposed to think about important things like paying for regulators for my pipes (or maybe paying for grad school, I suppose) when people keep making these delicious looking flutes? Just the other day I was thinking I'd really like to get a 6 key R&R-based flute at some point in the distant future...But now I'm really tempted...Aaaargh...Mr. Watson's prices seem fairly reasonable. Any idea what his waiting list currently is?
cocusflute

Flutes

Post by cocusflute »

At present the wait is six months. Have you looked at his site? That's a very short wait for a top-quality flute. Glenn works very hard and is very straight-forward.
I think about as much of regulators as I do of bass chords on the box. They can be lovely on some airs, as can the regulators. Seamus Tansey says they're as much use as tits on a bull.
Bring on the flame, oh list!
Get the flute. It'll be more fun than regulators.
smoro

Post by smoro »

The Sporting Pitchfork wrote:Oh no...How am I supposed to think about important things like paying for regulators for my pipes (or maybe paying for grad school, I suppose) when people keep making these delicious looking flutes? Just the other day I was thinking I'd really like to get a 6 key R&R-based flute at some point in the distant future...But now I'm really tempted...Aaaargh...Mr. Watson's prices seem fairly reasonable. Any idea what his waiting list currently is?
In my case it was only 7 months, I purchased a 6 keyed model. It is more or less what website says, you know that is very difficult to give an exact date, but I can say that this man works really hard to try to finish the work at the due date.
And I agree with cocuesflute:get the flute!
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Flutes

Post by Doc Jones »

cocusflute wrote:I think about as much of regulators as I do of bass chords on the box. They can be lovely on some airs, as can the regulators. Seamus Tansey says they're as much use as tits on a bull.
Bring on the flame, oh list!
Get the flute. It'll be more fun than regulators.
I'm afraid I'd have to agree about the regulators. Just don't love 'em myself. Not that I know anything. But I'd buy any good flute over a set of regulators any day.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

I'd agree, Doc. About the only piper who can do justice to regulators in my opinion is Mick O'Brien. Too many players make them sound like a calliope.
Dave
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Dave Parkhurst wrote:I'd agree, Doc. About the only piper who can do justice to regulators in my opinion is Mick O'Brien. Too many players make them sound like a calliope.
Dave
I liked your original description from a few years back Dave, but I see you've modified it a bit - this is the "G" rated version, eh?

Loren