The Impempe Whistle: Review & Recording, and Photos

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Impempe Whistle: Review & Recording, and Photos

Post by peeplj »

I recently received one of Ian Turnbull's Impempe high D whistles, made in South Africa.

Physical Appearance and Construction:
---------------------------------------------
This whistle is made of heavy aluminum tubing with a brushed satin finish.

The tone holes are fairly large, nicely rounded, evenly spaced, and well centered on the tube. They are slightly larger than the tone holes on my Burke AlPro D. The spacing on the right hand is closer than on some other whistles but it can still be played quite comfortably.

The fipple has a sharp, half-moon shaped curved blade, and a curved windway. Unlike some other curved windway whistles, the windway appears to narrow as it approaches the blade.

The top of the fipple and the block are both also aluminum; if you look very closely, you can tell the wider fipple tube was placed around the whistle tube and then compressed into place. I'm not sure with exactly what equipment this was done--the metal is visibly compressed and it would have taken something with a hell of a lot of force to produce this effect. I'm not sure anything other than compression holds the pieces together, but I'm not worried, as I don't think anything short of a jackhammer would separate them at this point.

The fipple is very comfortably shaped and smoothed and feels good between the lips. The overall appearance is very pleasing and professional.

The Sound
------------
This whistle has a very soft voice through both octaves, being slightly softer than an Alba Q1. The tone is warm and somewhat bright and complex, and it is extremely well balanced between octaves. The tone is not pure but there is no air in the tone; it is very focused. The whistle takes a moderate amount of air and doesn't require strong blowing to hit the second octave.

I have played this whistle both at home and in session and it works surprisingly well as a session whistle. Even though it's soft, the tone is unique and you can hear yourself play and be heard playing in even a medium-sized indoor session.

At home the soft voice of the whistle is handy for practicing without disturbing anyone.

It's unusual a single whistle works both as a quiet practice whistle and as a session whistle.

This is not a whistle suited for outdoor play, however, as the sound just gets lost.

Tuning
--------
This is not a tunable whistle, but it easily plays in tune at A=440 and you can push notes around with the breath around five cents over or under in both octaves.

Response
-----------
The whistle speaks easily throughout its range but I do wish it had a slightly stronger bell note. The low D is a bit hollow sounding and won't take much push. This is not a major problem as it is true of many if not most whistles.

The high notes speak very easily and even the high A and B don't require excessive push and aren't shrill.

This whistle responds very smoothly to ornamentation.

Overall, it's a very easy and fun whistle to play.

Conclusions
--------------
A very nice and every well-designed whistle, this is a lot of whistlling bang-for-the-buck.

A minor complaint is that the bell note is not quite as strong as I could wish, but this isn't a major problem and will probably get better as I spend more time with this whistle.

Also, I think it's very cool to have a whistle made in South Africa. It's a long way from home.

Sample Recording
---------------------
Here's what the whistle sounds like on the Sirius, a Matt Molloy tune:

http://www.flutesite.com/samples/sirius_imp.mp3

As always, please forgive the faults in the playing and execution as they belong to the player and not the whistle. Also please forgive the sound of the plane flying over at the start of the recording! (That one slipped past me.)

--James

Edit: here are some photos. Quality is not great, but hopefully better than nothing:

left-to-right, Syn D, Impempe D, Burke Wide Bore Brass D

close-up of Impempe whistle fipple from front

and from rear side
Last edited by peeplj on Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Nice review, James! Thanks for that, and the clip. Now we've had people here report on his Bb, C and D high whistles, and appear to be all good ones. Here's the link to the other reviews here that David O'Brian started:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=33074

And, Ian's website for any who are interested is here:

http://impempe.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/index.jhtml

I've got his Bb, and think it's a fine whistle!
~~~~
Barry
arnie

Re: The Impempe Whistle: Review & Recording, and Photos

Post by arnie »

The whistle deserves a new review. Ian Turnbull has new models. Especially with the topic of Kwela on the board. And as for soft, my old model D is more than average loud. The whistles are expensive sounding whistles for a low price, beautifully looking and steady like a rock.

http://impempewhistles.co.za/

usfenderfsdlx

Post by usfenderfsdlx »

Wow, those new ones look really beautiful! Hows that low D sound?
Whistling Archer

Post by Whistling Archer »

I had a High D , but sold it on my last Whistle Wimp Out wwo
wish I hadnt , but it looks like Bb is the Kwela whistle anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/user/sjeter61
My tunes , if you're interested
cprescigno

Post by cprescigno »

I have bought a few whistles from Ian and they are really fine instruments. Very flute like sounding. Initially I ordered a D whistle. Took almost five weeks to get here to NY. Ian was going to send a replacement when I contacted him after a month and the whistle hadn't arrived. We decided to hold off and it finally made it here. I liked the D a lot so I ordered a Bb which also had a very flute like sound. Really fine instruments. And it's nice to see someone selling a high quality product at a reasonable price. I also ordered a Low D which evidently I just have too much trouble with the spread to ever be comfortable playing the normal Low D whistle. That one will probably go up for sale if anyone is interested.
As far as the Impempe whistles, I think they are fantastic instruments. As for Ian, he's a top notch class act. You couldn't ask to deal with a nicer person.
Charles Rescigno
arnie

Post by arnie »

I'm getting a D, C and Bb of his new model. I have an old model untunable D an F also great and, opposite of what's being said before, loud whistles, excellent for playing outside. Because my old D is a bit on the flat, it needs to warm up quite a while to get only just in tune, Ian offered me to make it tunable. I can't wait to get the new beauties. They approved so much in appearance. And Ian remains a very fine guy to deal with!
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Well, I guess I'll need to chime in here, as well. I've been playing a lot more flute and less whistle lately, but I've wanted a really good Bb, and decided to give the Impempe a spin. It just arrived today.

As you can see from the pictures above, the new Impempes are sleek and beautiful aluminum whistles. Mine is very well finished, and a delight to hold and play. It has just a hint of a breathy chiff, for a nice traditional sound. The volume is moderate, and intonation is spot-on. Being fairly thick aluminum, it needs to be warmed up, and kept warm, or condensation will develop. (Good reason not to put it down!).

This is indeed a classy whistle, and Ian's great guy to deal with. I'd recommend his instruments to anyone without hesitation. :thumbsup:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
arnie

Post by arnie »

Nothing too much said! The beauties arrived today! Three of them, D, C and Bb. They have improved SO much. They are tunable to start with, but most whistles are nowadays. The appearance, nothing is to be said more than the photo's. They are other whistles, better looking and much lighter in weight (although thickwalled). The whistles have a lot of their old characteristics, but they sound a bit less flutelike and somewhat more Irish, with just a touch of chiff. The volume is above moderate and good for playing outside (or in sessions I think). Also the C and Bb are loud enough, but not too loud (like the Burke composite session C I had) to play in the band and to perform with without a mike. The response is very good, it might clog a bit, but therefore it is an instrument that you need to warm up a bit.
Ladies and gentlemen, the Impempe is a whistle that deserves the attention, because it's a whistle that can easily compete with expensive ones, but is in fact very affordable: $60,- for the D Eb and F, $68 for the C and Bb and $105 for the low D. I'm gonna stick with them and will never let go!