My new Glenn Watson flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
cocusflute

My new Glenn Watson flute

Post by cocusflute »

After the recent post regarding the acquisition of a new Sam Murray I felt compelled to offer this appraisal of a flute I just bought from Glenn Watson.

I received my new Glenn Watson 6-key blackwood flute a week ago. It is very clear and powerful. The bottom is solid and the second octave is a dream-- very strong and accessible.
The flute is beautifully made and feels great in my hands. It is slim and elegant, with beautiful keys and blocks and finely cut metal plates under the key-springs. The bore is well-finished, although it does not have a perfect mirror finish. Nor does it have a screw-cap crown, which I would prefer if only because it facilitates removing the cork for cleaning the head joint. Too few makers do this as a matter of course.
The silver keys are simple and elegant. They are hand cut rather than cast- another bargain. Most flute-makers cast their keys rather than cut them. Forging/swaging takes longer but entails a better quality alloy with fewer imperfections. They are perfectly placed for my hands and in any case Glenn expressed a willingness to customize should I desire.
The Watson is perfectly in tune. Probably because of the French slide the flute has a woody, dark tone that I like very much. The flute projects very well. I recently played with a loud fiddler and a loud concertina player. I could hear myself and I was told that I could be heard clearly from across the room.
The flute continues to improve as I get used to the embouchure, and is becoming more responsive every day. The embouchure is not the most forgiving I have played, requiring precise focus, but it is capable of a cracking good sound.
So far I am delighted. This flute is a great bargain. Glenn is a single man living alone. His needs are modest and his expenses are minimal. He can afford to sell a keyed flute at €1,400 (about $1,800), including a lovely hand-made case. This is less than any other top maker charges. He is a good player himself, which helps towards the making of a good flute.
I would not hesitate to recommend that any player – experienced as well as beginner-- buy a flute from Glenn before the inevitable price rise and longer wait. Glenn’s web-site reflects the elegance of his flutes: www.watsonflutes.com. His phone and email are listed on the site.
He does not know I am writing this. I have no financial connection with Glenn. I wish him well and would like to see him succeed.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

The link goes to a page that says "under construction"

Loren
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Tintin wrote:Try this: www.watsonflutes.com

Yup, that works.

Loren
vanessa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by vanessa »

Here's the link without the colon http://www.watsonflutes.com and it seems to work for me :)

(well, and just a thought... does anyone think that this is enough to qualify me for a commission from Mr Watson :D? )
vanessa

Post by vanessa »

oops.. crosspost... somebody got there before me... now goes my commission... :swear:
Denny

Re: My new Glenn Watson flute

Post by Denny »

cocusflute wrote:Glenn’s web-site reflects the elegance of his flutes: www.watsonflutes.com.
The old period at the end of the url trick.
http://www.watsonflutes.com.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Ooooh! Aaaaah! They're beautiful. Lovely keywork. Would love to hear one sometime <hint, hint>. And hey, look, he's not too far from Sam's workshop, is he? Yet another reason to like Galway (as if there weren't enough already).

Thanks for sharing the info; I'm looking forward to hearing more.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

So what's the deal with cases that keep the bottom two sections of the flute joined while it's being stored? (I've seen a number of cases for two-midsection flutes like this.) I've always believed one shouldn't keep the flute assembled while it's being stored...
smoro

Post by smoro »

Tintin,
The case that Glenn provides is big enaugh to keep each piece separate from the others, he recomended me to do do this, I used to keep the 2 bottom pieced joined in my ither flutes.
I realised that you sent a PM to mje, I replied to you yerterday, sorry for the late response, but I don't use to login to check PM.
Don't hesitate to contact me for further information, ok?
Serafin.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Lovely work, indeed.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

You should order a Cocobolo flute from him, before he becomes allergic like the rest of us... :D
Wow, he does nice work!
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Cathy Wilde wrote:Ooooh! Aaaaah! They're beautiful. Lovely keywork. Would love to hear one sometime <hint, hint>. And hey, look, he's not too far from Sam's workshop, is he? Yet another reason to like Galway (as if there weren't enough already).

Thanks for sharing the info; I'm looking forward to hearing more.
They are actually five minutes walk from each other. What's more Cathy, there's another maker in the neighbourhood. He's an Italian guy making Murray-like flutes at a very reasonable price. Can't remember his name though. Probably some chiffer will provide.
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
smoro

Post by smoro »

The italian guy is Vincenzo di Mauro.
S.
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Nice to see you "live", Sera.