Dave Williams Chanter eBay

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Ed Harrison
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Dave Williams Chanter eBay

Post by Ed Harrison »

Has the Dave williams chanter now on ebay been on this forum before?
Who has it for sale?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Uilleann-pipe-chant ... dZViewItem
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Yes, the first auction on eBAY did not hit the Reserve. DRONER has it up for sale. As the chanter is the engine of a set, this would be a great opportunity for someone!
Coffee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

Pity there's no such thing as a military discount on eBay though. The chanter looks wonderful and I'm sorely tempted to buy it, but if the closing bid last time didn't meet the reserve (just a few shy of 2k) then I just can't afford it.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Droner

Post by Droner »

Yes guys Droner is selling, reluctantly, to try and fund the final chapter of college life!!! Please no time wasters. Happy bidding. Feel free to pm me
jimharrison

Scam

Post by jimharrison »

Watch out, all, there's a scammer about. Imagine my surprise when I received a 'second chance offer' on the above from somebody calling themselves DrMaWa@aol.com.
I checked with Droner via pm on this forum and he assures me that no such offer had been made. Dang! I could almost feel the chanter ...
Anyhoo - if anyone else got a similar message ...I suggest they treat it with the contempt it deserves . :swear:
Ed Harrison

Post by Ed Harrison »

Well Jim,

I was hoping one of us would get it and then pass it around the family.
.... Ed
jimharrison

Post by jimharrison »

Hopefully the happy buyer will do just that! Any time you're in London, whoever you are ...! :D
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Is there any way to authenticate whether or not it truly is a Williams instrument? I'd rather not have something billed as one thing FS on this board when it is another, only trouble can come of that.

Any suggestions?
jimharrison

Post by jimharrison »

Pray? :-? Short of someone with good experience of Dave's work handling the instrument, that's the only other thing I can think of. The guy who's teaching me plays a Williams full set, but that's the only one of which I have personal experience - and we know his designs changed over the years.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Dave Williams always stamped his instruments both pipes and flutes. He was understandably proud of his work. This chanter I assume has a stamp "williams" on the chanter body front just below where the chanter throat mount would have been? Why do you ask?
Droner

Post by Droner »

You are an evil moderator dude. I have lost all faith in you shower. I post a genuine sale on this forum with the intention that someone might like to have a quality chanter through a rare sale. What do I get?? The sale and my character taken apart with allegations of fraud, scam and even question marks over whether it is a Williams chanter at all.
Well for all of your information the WILLIAMS chanter has gone to a good home to someone not on this forum and all of you here can whistle from now on. This is the end of my involvement with this forum :twisted:
jimharrison

Post by jimharrison »

In case there is any misunderstanding - please don't think for one minute that I was accusing Droner of any involvement in an eBay scam. My sincere apologies to all if this was misinterpreted (blame late night posting!). I was contacted by someone purporting to be the seller (ie Droner), offering me a Second Chance - knowing droner was a member of this forum I pm'd him and he confirmed that the item had been sold, and that no such offer had been made. I therefore tried to alert the forum in case anyone else had placed a bid and had a similar approach from 'Doctor Martin'.

Hope this sets things straight!

yrs in contrition
Jim
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Droner wrote:You are an evil moderator dude. I have lost all faith in you shower. I post a genuine sale on this forum with the intention that someone might like to have a quality chanter through a rare sale. What do I get?? The sale and my character taken apart with allegations of fraud, scam and even question marks over whether it is a Williams chanter at all.
Well for all of your information the WILLIAMS chanter has gone to a good home to someone not on this forum and all of you here can whistle from now on. This is the end of my involvement with this forum :twisted:
You have to admit that you have been a little dodgy regarding the queries posted by those who had an interest in your chanter.

Williams work is indeed of high quality, highly sought after and highly limited, therefore, is it any wonder why folk would want to be absolutely certain it is what it is advertised as being?

Be reasonable, and put yourself into the shoes of others who are going to drop a sizeable chunk of change on something they are told is a Williams, yet evidence of this fact is still a little sketchy. The lack of the maker's mark does raise more than a few eyebrows and questions.

As one of the moderators of this and other forums, it my is responsibility to monitor the events here, and if there is an issue that has drawn as much attention as this topic has, I am compelled examine all of the pros and cons of any sale promoted here. Surely, you have to understand my position?

Instead you have been surly, dodgy and ill tempered about the issues surronding this chanter and that has further piqued my interest in the matter all that much more.

If you feel that you need to stop participating in this forum, then suit yourself. Good luck, finish school and be well.

My question remains: is there any authentication for that chanter?

-JES.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"Be reasonable, and put yourself into the shoes of others who are going to drop a sizeable chunk of change on something they are told is a Williams, yet evidence of this fact is still a little sketchy. The lack of the maker's mark does raise more than a few eyebrows and questions. " Joseph.

I didn't know that the chanter didn't have a stamp!!! I myself was interested in this chanter when it was first offered for sale on this forum and bid privately 14-1500 euros until I saw a photo of the chanter. I didn't like the way it looked, aestetically, without the throat mount, and the keys on the chanter body did not look to be typical of Dave's work. Now this new information (to me at least) that there is no makers stamp, together with the untypical keys on the chanter body and lack of throat mount is understandably worrying I think. I have two chanters and a flute from the 1980's and they are stamped. I haven't seen an instrument by Dave that didn't have "williams" stamped on it.

It's quite possible that this is a "Lark in the morning" or "Hobgoblin" practice chanter with blocks that Dave simply forgot to stamp and that someone (not Droner, a previous owner) has added keys and a windcap with stop key. The stop key key-pad looks typical of Dave's work. Droner bought this chanter secondhand as a Williams chanter, so fair enough let's take his word
BZH29

Post by BZH29 »

Link to see the stamp of Dave ( or one of the stamps )
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=42002

Edit : my chanter is not for sale !!!!!