how to get started

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
bagpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

how to get started

Post by bagpiper »

I was really interested in learning the bagpipes but i have a few questions:

Is Celtic music challenging to learn?

Is it hard to learn marching and playing?

Where do I buy the bagpipes?

Tnak You, bagpper
ChaplainBlake
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Irish music has been a developing passion of mine. In the next few years, I hope to have all four of my kids going on whistles!

Post by ChaplainBlake »

If you look at the top of the UP forum, you will notice a stickied thread called "FAQ...Please Read". I would start there and a place called uilleannobsession.com.

--Blake
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Is Celtic music challenging to learn? No

Is it hard to learn marching and playing? I think ye must be thinking of highland pipes.It is normal for Highland pipe bands to march and play.This forum is not however about Highland pipes but Irish pipes (uilleann pipes) no marching is involved as ye normally are seated whilst playing.

Where do I buy the bagpipes? http://pipers.ie/makerlist.asp This is a list of Uilleann Pipe Makers although some of them do make other pipes as well. Be warned tho that not all pipemakers are the same.Some are better than others and some a lot better than most.Avoid Pakistani made pipes or cheap as in price pipes .Also be prepared to save up your pennies..uilleann pipes are expensive because of their relative rarity.

Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
myrddinemrys
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

I think there's a picture of David Daye being wheeled around by his wife in an Irish parade some time ago . . .
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Before you do anything listen to several Uilleann Bagppipe albums or CD's and several Scottish Bagpipe albums or CD's to help you choose which kind of bagpipes you think you want to learn. You can learn to do both but as you learn the Scottish bagpipes you also learn a lot of bad habits and finger placement which will not help you but hinder you in learning to play the Uilleann Bagpipes.

If your from San Francisco you can probably get help with learning Uilleann pipes from:So.Cal. Uilleann Pipers' Club
c/o Larry Dunn
7153 Knowlton Pl.
Los Angeles, CA 90045-2215

They may also be able to direct you to another club if you prefer to learn the Highland Bagpipes. These are the kind that you see in parades and played while marching. Before getting to interested in a bagpipe marching band you must first consider how you'd look in a kilt and how comfortable you'd feel wearing a kilt, and I'm not refering to the fit of the kilt but the wearing of a kilt without being embarased. If and when you join a band of pipers wearing the kilt you will feel more comfortable knowing your in the company of others wearing like attire. If you show an interest in bagpipes some bands will teach you free just to get you to join their band! Marching is easy to learn, just ask anyone whose been in the service, boot camp also teaches you free of charge. Most Bagpipe tunes are easy to learn and memorize, some are a little more difficult to learn and some seem almost impossible. If you can whistle a tune from memory you can memorize bagpipe tunes. Good luck! Hope his helps!

Al
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

For Frisco piping you'll need to get in touch with www.sfpipersclub.org

Just hurl abuse at them and they'll warm up to you instantly! :lol:

PD.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

myrddinemrys wrote:I think there's a picture of David Daye being wheeled around by his wife in an Irish parade some time ago . . .
I did say that no marching is involved as ye normally are seated whilst playing. notice ..normaly...ye can of course play standing and ye can walk around and play at the same time which I have done at weddings .
I prefer not to march (can't stand it :wink: )
Ye need to use open fingering but that is all that is required.

If David is or was incapacitated then it is an eminently suitable mode of mobility(the wheelchair) If it was in order for him to solely play the UPs in a parade then that is just plain daft !!! :boggle:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.