The Doran Weekend DVD ?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
juanito
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Doran Weekend DVD ?

Post by juanito »

Hello,
Just picked-up a copy of a CD entitled “Travellers and fellow Travellers, Keepers of the flame. It was released as part of Pavee Point’s twentieth anniversary celebration of Irelands Travellers. This CD features some fine previous released tracks from the pipers Felix Doran, Finbar Furey, Mickey Dunne, and Paddy Keenan, among others. Also included is a track from the piper John Rooney. This track is credited on the CD as “Craig’s Pipes” (but sounds to me like “George White’s Favorite”). The booklet that comes with the CD states that the John Rooney track was taken from a DVD entitled “The Doran Weekend”. I have looked on-line and can not find any other reference to “The Doran Weekend” DVD. Any information that anyone could supply about this DVD would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
John M
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

I asked about this DVD in Miltown in July. From what I understand this is a private DVD made by Denis Quigley (not sure about the spelling) and that the John Rooney material was taken from the DVD with Denis´permission. NPU didn´t have any more info about the DVD at the time. An interesting source about Irish trad and the Travelling community is the Dunne family CD-ROM, lots of music and information. Also the TG4 series "Bunch of keys" etc.
juanito

Post by juanito »

Thanks Steampacket for the info. I suspected as much on “The Doran Weekend” DVD when I came-up empty handed on my search. I will look for the Dunne family CD-ROM. I enjoyed the “Bunch of Keys” program (among others) on the TG4 site.Lovely schtuff.
Thanks again,
John M