More YouTube Stuff-V pipe demos

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Beau Comiseau wrote:Well, all I got to say is I gotta have one now!!! I really can't wait too much longer or I'll burst!!! :D
I you do burst, don't forget to clean up after yourself. I don't do mops. :D
uillmann

Post by uillmann »

I'm afraid that without all the bits of string, flapping leather valves, reeds
and wire and such, the pipes wouldn't have much attraction for me. It is just this kind of thingyness I find so intriguing. You might just as well play the digitized sounds of pipes on a midi compatible keyboard accordion.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/FR-7/
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

FR-7 V-Accordion - That is just hysterical! The Japanese have taken a joke instrument and turned it into a digital joke instrument. I want a red one! :lol:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

uillmann wrote:......You might just as well play the digitized sounds of pipes on a midi compatible keyboard accordion.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/FR-7/
Then you would have to learn a new instrument!
I think you lost the concept here. The v-pipes emulate a REAL chanter so you can continue to 'play pipes' without having to learn another instrument.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

djm wrote:FR-7 V-Accordion - That is just hysterical! The Japanese have taken a joke instrument and turned it into a digital joke instrument. I want a red one! :lol:

djm
Why do you deem the accordian a joke instrument?

Going digital should move it up a few notches on the list. Now you can adjust the pitch, volume and add 22 onboard Orchestral sounds to your palette.
uillmann

Post by uillmann »

"Then you would have to learn a new instrument!
I think you lost the concept here. The v-pipes emulate a REAL chanter so you can continue to 'play pipes' without having to learn another instrument."

I can already continue to play pipes without having to learn a new instrument. And I don't have to settle for emulating the pipes, and I don't have to buy batteries or amps or wires and I can play anywhere I like without an electrical outlet. I think V-pipes are cool and all, and the thought of always being spot on in tune all the time in any key is a tempting idea, I just won't be plunking down any money on one.
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

I'd like a v-Didgeridoo

Maybe even a v-bodhrán :D

Hats off to these guys...if the vPipes do anything like the trade that the equivalent bagpipe/smallpipe thingies did, their company should do OK.
If the price drops a wee bit, I could see the instrument being really good for beginners of school age at Feisean and summer schools etc.
I think organisations like the Scottish Fèisean nan Gàidheal would invest in reliable, low maintenance, uniformly tuned instruments such as these.

They wouldn't be a replacement for the real thing, of course.

Boyd
maire_
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by maire_ »

Reminds me of nowadays how there are the actors who wish they could sing and go record in some billion dollar 'make yeh sound better' studio, and make music with their ‘good’ voices (for instance… *cough* Paris Hilton *gag*). As opposed to an actual trained voice that’s had to work hard to get good tone and technique.

Another thing to point to yeh lads… sooner or later there’ll be some device that does the exact same thing only it’ll even make the playing easier and probably add it’s own tecnique to make the player look better (well, sound better... bah). But when all of this happens in the future (most likely), just remember that there are always us AKA the real pipers… and even if the fans only want to listen to the new kids, yel always have each other… so no need to get all worked up about these little gadgets, they'll always be there... no matter what... only in reality to make yas look better

:wink:
Tony

Post by Tony »

maire_ wrote:..... just remember that there are always us AKA the real pipers… and even if the fans only want to listen to the new kids, yel always have each other… so no need to get all worked up about these little gadgets, they'll always be there... no matter what... only in reality to make yas look better

:wink:
Oh! I get it.... It's the intimidation factor. You're funny!
Because 'real pipers' don't play v-pipes. C'mon, aren't you a little old for those tactics?
This has nothing to do with wannabe singers who use studio tricks (voice dubs, reverb, etc.) or for that matter, bad pipers pressing 'cran' and 'backstitching' buttons on their v-pipes.

That would mean any recording artist who decides to use v-pipes in a (possibly loud) live stage performance (perhaps Emer Mayock with Afro Celts or Eric Rigler with Bad Haggis) would fall into your category.
Oh, the shame...

I think not.

Cran button? Hmmm... I just gave away another innovative idea.
:lol:
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

:D
I've been tempted to point out that this isn't the first time in history that a whole bunch of guys have been made uncomfortable or even threatened by the prospect of .......

an artificial, electronic, (but aesthetically pleasing) device which always works when you want it to...........ahem :boggle:
(well, providing u have the right batteries)

but, NO !!! ....I won't go there :o :o

I'm sure the real thing will never be replaced :wink:
Joseph E. Smith

boyd wrote:... this isn't the first time in history that a whole bunch of guys have been made uncomfortable or even threatened by the prospect...
That's me, all over. :lol:
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Personally, I can't wait until v-pipes are commercially launched. They'll get so good that we won't know the difference, even when playing them. It'll start a whole Matrix thing, but for pipers. We'll have espionage, assassinations, clandestine v-pipes wars, maybe a love-interest or two. If we play our cards right, we could get a whole Matrix-thing going. 8)

If nothing else, it'll inject a little life into the forum... :boggle:
PJ
Tony

Post by Tony »

boyd wrote:...... I'm sure the real thing will never be replaced :wink:
I'm sure too.

I'll interject ANOTHER good reason for v-pipes. Lets say your doctor says you need to give your bag arm a rest or you may face surgery...
Joseph E. Smith

PJ wrote:Personally, I can't wait until v-pipes are commercially launched. They'll get so good that we won't know the difference, even when playing them. It'll start a whole Matrix thing, but for pipers. We'll have espionage, assassinations, clandestine v-pipes wars, maybe a love-interest or two. If we play our cards right, we could get a whole Matrix-thing going. 8)

If nothing else, it'll inject a little life into the forum... :boggle:
Yeah Baby!!! I want to play while revolving in mid air in slow motion!!! Far Out!!!