Multiphonics / Polyphonics

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Guinness

Multiphonics / Polyphonics

Post by Guinness »

I was listening to Lament for Glencoe on the McGrattan/O'Shaughnessy album, Within a Mile of Dublin, and noted how McGrattan uses multiphonics with good effect. I'm pretty sure I've also heard JM Veillon use multiphonics, but I forget which tune/album.

Anybody practice these? Is it easier to execute on a particular flute?
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

Hammy Hamilton says that Paul McGrattan can produce multiphonics on pretty much any flute he tries, although it's easier on some flutes than others. Basically the trick is to overblow the flute but to control the overblowing so you're slotted right in between the first two octaves.

A flute player I know who plays with a very relaxed embouchure can achieve multiphonics easily; she also hits the bottom D with such power that it actually warbles, something I've never been able to do myself. It's amazing to watch, her mouth looks totally relaxed and yet the flute sounds like it's about to explode.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Frankie Kennedy did this on one tune set -- it's the middle tune in the set that has two different versions of Humours of Whisky -- a lot of the D's have heavy octave mixing. I found I could do this pretty well on the Hammy (I actually had a dickens of a time keeping the bottom D from jumping, so it lent itself well to this); I haven't tried too hard on the Olwell.

There's a recording on the transcription/discussion/analysis section of Brother Steve's website of someone playing a Clarke whistle that was designed so that one octave always had the other mixed in with it. Very cool effect, sounds almost like two whistles. I can't remember who it was or what tune, though.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
oleorezinator
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

oleorezinator wrote:
JessieK wrote:No. The flute is a melody instrument only.
Bartolozzi, Bruno. New Sounds for Woodwind. Translated and edited by Reginald Smith Brindle. New York: Oxford University Press.
Dick, Robert. The Other Flute: A Performance Manual of Techniques. 2d ed. New York: Multiple Breath, 1989.
Howell, Thomas. The Avant-Garde Flute: A Handbook for Composers and Flutists (Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press, 1974). i own or owned a copy of the howell book.there are 3000 or so fingering combinations which work on most french keywork boehm system flutes to produce chords/multiphonics. some of the fingerings don't require the french style. one fingering i can remember is d3 but blow it as d1 and if you open the g# key it climbs a 1/2 step. try it, that is if consonance is not the rule of the day. ahhh, my misspent youth!
an old post. good luck. o
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Chiffed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chiffed »

One drill I use on several instruments is to crescendo on a note 'til it breaks, thus finding out what is forte possible and what is blastissimo soundslikecrap. If I'm playing with a really centered tone, the note breaks to a multiphonic.

I use broken notes on the A of Blackberry Blossom (down the octave, with the broken notes on the second half of each beat), and it sounds good when it works.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.