Whistle tour: The Oz Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tommy
antispam: No

Post by Tommy »

Mitch wrote:
Tommy wrote: ...
The Oz D whistle 7_04 has arrived, and it is excellent. Now just how many months am I allowed to try it? :)
Months - hmmm - here'a a formula: Take the number of months you want to keep it and then divide that by:
Dyersituations
Carey
gregdidge
sweet potato
Wanderer
Fancypiper
keithsandra
:wink:

Looking forward to your review!
Oh no! Sad news Mitch, :cry: I just received Dyersituations address, so will be mailing this excellent whistle by the end of the week. Instead of playing and showing it off at sessions. :wink: I did take it to a session last Thursday and the whistlers were very impressed. I will put up more review later.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
dyersituations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Review

Post by dyersituations »

I've had the whistle for 1 week now and plan on shipping to the next person on the list tomorrow. The tunable OZ whistle is excellent, I think. The whistle reminds me the most of the Abell in appearance and the Busman in playing characteristics. Both great whistles to compare to. It is a tad bit quieter than my wide-bore Humphrey, and I'd say it's about the same volume as the Busman. The tuning is great overall, and I noticed no "problem" notes, but the low D is a little weak. Unlike my wide-bore Humphrey, the higher octave is very "sweet" on this whistle, and is balanced nicely to the lower octave. Unlike all the other whistles I have, the OZ had close to no clogging issues. It did clog a tiny bit at one point, but I was playing in a cold basement. The volume was perfect for the small session I took it too, and the other musicians thought it was pretty in appearance. Overall, I like the whistle a lot and I would buy one if the price wasn't as high and the US dollar wasn't doing so poorly. Instead of boring you all with words, here are a couple short sound clips:

http://www.esnips.com/web/OZTunableWhistle

Thanks for the tour Mitch! And, I hope to own one of your whistles in the future.
Life is good.
Carey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

Post by Carey »

And lo, 7-04 has just been delivered to me by my nice mail lady. When I open the door to sign the insurance document she greets me with "I bet it's a whistle!" . There's always whistles coming and going (mainly going) so it was a safe bet for her.

Nothing to add that hasn't been said/played already. It's a spiffy looker and a willing player. Sorta seems like it's dressed for a formal dinner, all black and silver like that. I'm jealous of Mitch's cool logo, and all the very nice design options it gives him. Whoever came up with that - good on ya mate!

I'll see if I can remember to send it along in a week. Really, I mean it. (Whoa re-kindled)

Carey
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com
gregdidge

Post by gregdidge »

I currently have the tour whistle and have sent a PM to SweetPotato. when I get her mailing info I will sent the whistle off as soon as I can
It is important not to mistake the edge of a rut for the horizon!

Greg
sweet potato
Tell us something.: I am here to change my password and also to see what the market may look like should I decide to sell my lovely Sam Murray flute.

Post by sweet potato »

That's great news! PM sent.

Laura
pjuuldk

Post by pjuuldk »

Hi Theo or Jem

What's the status of the europeean whistle?

Will it be reaching Denmark soon??

Greatings

Peter
ElPollo

Post by ElPollo »

pjuuldk wrote:Hi Theo or Jem

What's the status of the europeean whistle?

Will it be reaching Denmark soon??

Greatings

Peter
I'm getting curious too.

Why aren't we hearing much about the european one?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Mmmmm, good question. "I know nothing"! Have neither heard nor seen anything of it since last mentioned up-thread in mid March. Theo?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
pjuuldk

Post by pjuuldk »

Hopefully it's because the whistle is so good that it's impossible to part with it.
Seems that we have something to look forward to. Well we just have to be patient for a litle longer.

Peter
MichaelR

Post by MichaelR »

Has anyone on the OZ Whistle Tour (or anyone else) heard from Mitch in the last month or two?

I heard from him May 3rd but he's been very quiet since.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

MichaelR wrote:Has anyone on the OZ Whistle Tour (or anyone else) heard from Mitch in the last month or two?

sweet potato wrote on the 30th that she was about to get it and that i should be getting it soon. I'll let you know when it arrives.
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

MichaelR wrote:Has anyone on the OZ Whistle Tour (or anyone else) heard from Mitch in the last month or two?

May 15th was the last I heard from him. I have emailed and PMed him several times since and no response. Mitch, if you read this; I need to hear from you. Cyril.
sweet potato
Tell us something.: I am here to change my password and also to see what the market may look like should I decide to sell my lovely Sam Murray flute.

Post by sweet potato »

The Oz tour whistle is now on its way to Wanderer.

It is a lovely instrument in every way. The tone is both sweet and complex enough to be interesting. It handles well, smooth transitions between octaves, responds nicely to changes in breath pressure, responsive to ornamentation. It is well in tune with itself, and the oxx ooo Cnat sounds just fine. The volume is on the quieter side (I typically play Burkes, Sindts, Overtons for comparison). I took it to a small session last night where it was duly and thoroughly admired.

Thanks again, Mitch, for your generosity and your beautiful workmanship and artistry.

Laura
breqwas

Post by breqwas »

Seems the european one is lost for us. Alas...
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

breqwas wrote:Seems the european one is lost for us. Alas...
I think I still have an e-address for Theo from when he bought a flute from me - I'll zap him a prod. I certainly haven't heard owt from him since his last post up-thread.

EDIT: attempted message to Theo bounced - the e-address I had for him was a university one and I believe he has now finished his course.........
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads