All Participate: What is your all-time favorite whistle song

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cinead
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cinead »

I am really interested in hearing what all of you feel is your favorite whistle song. Perhaps you have one per category, jig, reel, air, etc. Who played it and on what album is it on.

My collection of Celtic music has become quite large, especially through the past two years. However, I have found that unless the local store has a listening station to preview the CDs, you can really get stuck with something you don't want.

One of the first CDs I ever purchased is still one of my favorites. It is Joanie Madden's Song of the Irish Whistle. The second cut, "Down By the Sally Gardens" is my favorite song to date. The first cut,"The Imigrant" is my second favorite slow song to date. She records on Hearts O Space.

I'd like to hear from each of you on your favorites.

Cinead

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cinead on 2001-08-11 16:59 ]</font>
claudine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

1) Brian the Brave (Poll Halfpenny)
2) Legacy Jig
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

O'Carolan's Farewell to Music, played by Jerry O'Sullivan. It's on Gentle Breeze, a Green Linnett compilation/sampler of whistle and flute music. You can buy it for under $8 at amazon.com. It should be a mandatory cd for whistle players.

For a low D tune, Joe McKenna's The Irish Low Whistle has a new composition by McKenna, "Echos Calling," that I think is very cool. He plays it on a Copeland low D.

My all-time favorite whistle tune is on a reel-to-reel tape I recorded from a guy's vinyl album in 1976. I've never been able to find a copy of the record. Quays of Goretown by The Wild Geese has the sweetest whistle tune that starts out slow and shifts into a reel and gets picked up by bouzouki. Don't know the name of the tune and I've never heard another recording of it. The next time I get an unexpected burst of energy, I'll drag the tape player downstairs and make an mp3.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I assume you are asking about whistle tunes (instrumental), as opposed to songs (with words). I like airs, mostly. There are some faster ones that I like, too, but in general, the slow stuff is easiest to be expressive on, I think. I like the Ballad of Innisheer. And Southwind. I think Joanie is the best whistle player of airs in the world.

:smile: Jessie
LeeMarsh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

Favorite tunes:

The Black Cat,(long version, 6 min) by Lothlorien.
Ghostwood, also by Lothlorien.
The Sunset (slow reel), Altan.
An Feochan, also on Altan's Best of.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: leemarsh on 2001-08-11 23:40 ]</font>
Cinead

Post by Cinead »

My favorite reel is "Toss the Feathers", cut nine on the Corrs album "Forgiven, Not Forgotten." (Atlantic, Polygram, 143 Records, 1995).

I really like the way Andrea tosses the feathers.

Cinead

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cinead on 2001-08-12 19:26 ]</font>
dlambert

Post by dlambert »

Track 11 - Musical Journey by Cormac Breatnach.

The Belles of Tipperary, Connie Connell's,Cooley's, & Jennie Tie the Bonnet.
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

'favourite' is tricky, because it implies 'all time favourite' - and I'm fickle!!

However: Phil Hardy, Joe McKenna and Joanie Madden notwithstanding (they all have wonderful CD's out now), there is a tune that I can't get out of my head at present.

It's a new version of the Scottish song 'Leezy Lindsay', played as an instrumental on a new album 'Celtic Moon', by Lancashire Low whistler Phil Brown. He plays it on an Overton. He sent me a 'comp' and I can't stop playing it. I called him on the phone and he told me that his wife is also playing that particular track non-stop. Must be catchy!

Steve :smile:
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

For me it's a tie between track #5 from The Dubliners Live In Carre - Dunphy's Hornpipe, and track #8 from the Lewis & Clark Original Soundtrack Recording - When Summer Ends.
Diviney

Post by Diviney »

Waves of Kilkee by J. Madden
tephillah

Post by tephillah »

Drunken Sailor, by Larry Nugent.
Mark_J

Post by Mark_J »

Eamon Coyne by Seamus Egan
Sean Sa Cheo by Larry Nugent
Anything by Seamus Ennis on whistle
Anything by Leo Rowsome on whistle (can be found on Ceolnet)
nickb

Post by nickb »

My favourite is still the one that made me want to take up playing the whistle in the first place - 'Portsmouth' as played by Mike Oldfield. Actually he played it on a recorder, but I didn't know that at the time! Another favourite is the '1812 quickstep'. It can be heard at the beginning of the movie 'The Outlaw Josey Wales' Add that to anything from Mary Bergin's "feadog stain album.
Arto_Vallivirta

Post by Arto_Vallivirta »

If you ever run into some recordings of Willie Clancy in the whistle you'd better buy them. There are not many but I think he's the best whistler that has ever lived.

Arto
bsykes62

Post by bsykes62 »

On 2001-08-11 17:10, Cinead wrote:
My favorite jig is "Toss the Feathers", cut nine on the Corrs album "Forgiven, Not Forgotten." (Atlantic, Polygram, 143 Records, 1995).

I really like the way Andrea tosses the feathers.

Cinead
Toss the Feathers is a reel not a jig.

Favorite reel (today)-The Mason's Apron
Favorite jig (today)- The Kesh
Favorite polka - Denis Murphy's
Favorite hornpipe - Off To California
Favorite air - Inisheer
Favorite highland fling - Frank Roches Favorite

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bsykes62 on 2001-08-12 08:48 ]</font>