...something completely different: Japanese toilets on fire

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

...something completely different: Japanese toilets on fire

Post by Tyler »

from the "And now for something completely different" department:

Japanese toilets catch fire
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

I went to a music festival in 2000 that ended in a large riot (I blame the oasis fans). As part of the rioting all the chemical toilets in the campsite were set on fire (along with the security/fire tower), the stench will haunt me forever.
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

The popular Z series features a pulsating massage spray, a power dryer, built-in-the-bowl deodorizing filter, the "Tornado Wash" flush and a lid that opens and closes automatically. Prices range from $1,680 to $2,600.

The model is not sold overseas.
I think this was the model that I soooooooo wanted but couldn't afford to import.
If a girl can't afford her dream house, the least she can yearn for is her dream bidet.
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

hyldemoer wrote: If a girl can't afford her dream house, the least she can yearn for is her dream bidet.
does it clean itself?

does it clean AROUND itself (I live in a house with all males....)?
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

We have a self-cleaning bathroom in our house.

It works on the same principle as the self-cleaning oven...

...every time it reaches 450 degrees... :wink:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

missy wrote:
hyldemoer wrote: If a girl can't afford her dream house, the least she can yearn for is her dream bidet.
does it clean itself?

does it clean AROUND itself (I live in a house with all males....)?
You just hit on THEE subject of discussion when my first cousin (who owns a tri-state home and business cleaning company) met my son-in-law (who owns a home improvement company).

Some guys are so sloppy with their toilet habits that they not only rot the floor out around the toilet with their urine, they rot out the wooden cabinet of the sink next to the toilet. They literally saturate the floor with so much urine that the wood of the cabinet can wick it up.

Until I over heard the two of them 'talk shop" I had no idea how filthy some folks' houses might normally be.
How difficult can it be to aim straight?
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

hyldemoer wrote:How difficult can it be to aim straight?
I'm not a guy, but I suspect it depends on how drunk someone is.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the filthiest men were also the booziest.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Sorry to be gross, for men, split stream and splash back.

As for the cabinet, there is also the possibility of condensation. Either due to natural humidity or a shower, the tanks are poorly designed without isolation and “sweat”.

It would be nice if they would make the base of most toilets a little easer to clean. I do not understand why they need to add surface area by having the outline of the water trap. Toilets are really poorly designed in general.

Or it could just be that people don't care. While cleaning toilets at a restaurant (in one of my past jobs) the mens bathroom was always at a low standard of cleanliness, and the womens varied from okay to very bad.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
djm

Post by djm »

hyldemoer wrote:How difficult can it be to aim straight?
First you have to be able to find the damned thing and then ......

oops :oops:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

I.D.10-t wrote:Sorry to be gross, for men, split stream and splash back.
What? And a guy's hands are broken that they can't clean up after themself? This isn't the Enchanted Cottage. Mysterious hands don't come out of the walls and make the bathroom all clean again. Someone's got to do it. Why not the culprit of the offense?

A lazy alternative avenue might be to switch to always sitting down while urinating.
As for the cabinet, there is also the possibility of condensation. Either due to natural humidity or a shower, the tanks are poorly designed without isolation and “sweat”.
My son-in-law related stories about home owners insisting that or leaky wax rings. He'd suggest they tape plastic to the floor around the toilet for a while and see if its clear water or urine that collects.

People don't care?
They're fools if they don't start caring when they get the bill for a new floor and sink cabinet installed.

In the mean time, I do sooooo want my fancy Japanese bidet.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I.D.10-t wrote:I do not understand why they need to add surface area by having the outline of the water trap.
This, like the cavity under the windway of an injection molded whistlehead, is an artifact of the casting process.

Toilets are slip cast, which means the inside geometry is determined by the outside geometry. There's no way around it, unless you would be willing to pay an extra several hundred dollars for a toilet that would be about twice as heavy, but a little easier to clean at the bottom. People who could afford one like that don't clean their own toilets.

For more on how toilets are made:
http://www.madehow.com/Volume-5/Toilet.html

Best wishes,
Jerry
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Perhaps this should be a seperate thread, but has anyone else wondered if the children of tomorrow will ever have to flush a toilet by hand? Automated flushing is a good thing that conserves lots of water. There are days when the only manual flush I encounter is at home.

As for the overall cleanliness issue, it's only a matter of time until there's a home version of this

http://www.americanrestroom.org/apt/index.htm
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

dwinterfield wrote:And then there's this

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/ad-w ... 231979.php
:lol: :lol: :lol:
From the link
Let's see if we've got this straight. The Swiss get self-cleaning toilets and the Japanese get toilets that treat your ass like a Queen. What do we get? A bald pirate pressuring housewives to clean more often.
LMAO
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
djm

Post by djm »

Perhaps you are still under the illusion that you will continue to have all the water to waste that you have today. You are more likely to see a shift towards some form of dry or composting toilet. http://www.compostingtoilet.org/

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.