Micho Russell

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

Two days ago the mailman brought me 3 CDs by Micho Russell (The Wind that Shakes the Barley, Limestone Rock, The Man From Clare). This is one of the best things I've ever done for myself, whistle wise (Teri-K made the recommendation). He not only plays, but tells stories and sings as well. But when he plays, it was not at all what I had expected. It is like nothing I've ever heard on any CDs before. It's an authentic Irish experience. This is pure trad, no background instruments, just Micho playing his whistle (and flute in about half the tunes on The Man From Clare), telling stories and singing like the tradmaster he is.

I was surprised at the small amount of ornamentation. It's there, and very well done, but more sparing than I thought it would be (nothing like Mary Bergin at all). It seems almost unconcious. And on many tracks, he doesn't seem to be tonguing much if at all...he blows each note explosively, at speed, clearly differentiating between them without tonguing. Am I hearing that right? Maybe some of you more experienced players can verify or refute. He does some tonguing, but it's minimal. On one tune he plays three notes in a row and separates them only by blowing authoritatively, no cut and tap like I've been using.

One thing that really surprised me is the whistle that he uses...it squeaks in the upper octave, squeaks badly, to my taste, and it's on most of the tracks on all three CDs. I'm realizing now that my complaints about Waltons, Feadogs and Generations maybe culturally biased. Maybe that's how whistles are supposed to sound, and maybe I'm just used to what I hear on CDs produced by modern recording companies. Maybe that's how they sounded from the 1840's until recently and maybe we're all just spoiled little children because of our access to more technically advanced whistles. Regardless, as he plays, I can see the Irish landscape, feel the wind in my face and smell turf burning. I have a new hero.

I have been spending a lot of time with a blank tape in the stereo and a finger on the record button, because the actual playing frequently doesn't begin for anywhere from thirty seconds to three minutes into the track. I want a full tape of his playing so I can begin copying him by ear.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

On 2002-07-11 00:51, blackhawk wrote:
(and flute in about half the tunes on The Man From Clare),
Some of the stuff there is played by Eugene Lambe who played with him and did a solo on Anachuin.

There is, by the way, another one in the same series, 'Our native land' or something like that, some nice set dances on that one.

There is a little corner there in North Clare that retains aspects of the style Micho had. Micho's playing was very much influenced by the concertinas he hear when he was young. The mother and the neighbour Patrick Flanagan of Doonagore were great influences on him. It is said that more than anything else, he played the concertina on the whistle. Still, his brother Packie played quite different music on the concertina and the other one Gussie, is quite a different whistleplayer again but flute players like Michael and Seamus Hynes from Kilshanny, John Killourhy from Ballyfaudeen, the late Paddy Mullins and to an extend Gerald O Loughlin from Liscannor all have or had elements that are also found in Micho's playing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Laban on 2002-07-11 11:48 ]</font>
kevin m.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kevin m. »

Hi Blackhawk, welcome to 'The micho Russell appreciation society'! Listening to micho gives me the impression that this is the 'REAL thing' and that this is what i should be listening to,if i want to play something approaching I-trad. in as authentic a manner as it is possible(bearing in mind that i'm english,not brought up in a remote hamlet in clare,etc,etc.)A while back,someone on this board described contemporary bands like Lunasa,Solas,Altan etc. as being the 'rock bands' of irish music.I enjoy their music, but, i must agree that to get a proper grounding in the tradition it's vital to learn from the 'Old masters'.I HAVE 'THE LIMESTONE ROCK' and i would also recommend 'the russell family'- micho DOES play flute on this one, in the company of his brothers,packie(concertina) and gussie(whistle).Also,check out 'Ireland's whistling ambassador'- i've just recieved this one last week-it's worth the price just for the beutiful cover portrait of micho and the entertaining and informative booklet/potted biography!I haven't fully listened to it yet,as it has competition from Willie Clancy's 'minstrel from Clare' which arrived the same day (an embarrassment of riches!}Micho rules !
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-07-11 03:36, kevin m. wrote:
A while back,someone on this board described contemporary bands like Lunasa,Solas,Altan etc. as being the 'rock bands' of irish music.{quote}
That makes a lot of sense, Kevin.

{quote}Also,check out 'Ireland's whistling ambassador'- {quote}
I got the video a few weeks ago and really enjoy that.

I haven't fully listened to it yet,as it has competition from Willie Clancy's 'minstrel from Clare' which arrived the same day (an embarrassment of riches!}Micho rules !
That's funny because I also ordered that same CD with this shipment, but haven't listened to it yet because I've been so entranced with Micho!
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

you sure have GREAT taste Blackhawk (lol!!).It's an interesting exercise to compare Willie's whistle playing to that of Micho,-its a lot more flowing,in fact on 'the templehouse/over the moor to maggie' it approaches a torrent of notes. for those people who complained about Mary Bergin's style recently,i say listen to this! To reitterate;another 'old master'.i've also ordered a newly re-released album by Packie manus Byrne (now 85 years old)- can't say i've heard him before,but steve J. rates him(see the 'Dossan of heather' link on brother steve's site for more info.).
StevieJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

On 2002-07-11 13:55, kevin m. wrote:
...i've also ordered a newly re-released album by Packie manus Byrne (now 85 years old)- can't say i've heard him before,but steve J. rates him...
Kevin, are you referring to the CD reissue of "From Donegal and Back"? If so, can you tell me where you've ordered it from? I'd like to get a copy myself, but the publisher seems to take about 6 weeks to answer an email.

You'll find Packie's style to be very different from any of the other "old masters", esp. Miko Russell (I don't know which is the correct spelling - I'd never seen "Micho" until recently. The important thing is to pronounce it "Mike-oh", not "Mick-oh" or "Mitch-oh".)

Funnily enough, many years ago, before Miko died, Packie commented to me that he couldn't understand why everyone made such a fuss about Miko as a whistle player!
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

So, where are you guys ordering your cd's from? Do they charge an arm and a leg. A leg I could see. Need 2 arms to keep playing.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Steve, Micho is actually correct.
I saw the PM Byrne cd earlier today, NPU has it on sale here so I suppose Custy's will have it too.

Tony, CDs are goign at 19 euro at the moment and that is way over the top.

Gussie Russell is coming down every day on the moped as usual for the Willie, seems in good enough form.

We went over some Russel stories yesterday but I'll save those for another day.
Kerry

Post by Kerry »

I only have the "Ireland's Whistling Ambassador" CD, but based on your reviews, I think it is time to add to my collection.

You should check out the Pennywhistler's Press web site: http://www.pennywhistle.com/

On this site you will find 4 or 5 songs from the Whistling Ambassador CD, along with the musical notation for each song, complete with the ornaments that Micho uses. I belive this is part of a larger effort by Bill Ochs documenting the music of Micho.

Kerry
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

To Bay Area cd buyers:
I have gotten most of my cds from Down Home in El Cerrito and they are up to 8 bucks cheaper than online Euro prices. But Ossian USA seems reasonable too.

I bet downhome would order anything and get it too, Blackhawk and TonyH.

And Blackhawk, Micho and other Clare musicians appeal to me in the same way as you expressed. A lot of messages have discussed Mary Bergin but when I hear the Russell family (another CD that I have), I feel like I am hearing Irish traditional music, not something more polished up for other audiences. I really like my Kevin Griffin and Bobby Gardiner cds, too, (banjo and accordion respectively). They are really moving rather than technically bewildering, though you are always aware of their talents.. The Farewell to Lissycasey, which is a compilation, has samples from various records and gives you a taste of different players and their styles. That's what led me to purchase those other cds (a gateway drug to be sure).

One other note that caught my attention was about the idea of playing more like a concertina on the whistle. I really retain fiddle and concertina/accordion versions of the standard session tunes in my head better than whistle versions. I feel a little alienated by the discussions on tonguing because I am going completely on intuition and expression (and interpreting what I hear on the various master's records)..This may very well change as I get better. If I consciously try NOT to tongue it sounds labored, yet I feel like I am missing something when it is mentioned on the Forum. I think I am developing a somewhat percussive style of playing but it makes the phrases work in my ears.

I am going to clip and snip soon (and no doubt learn a LOT from the playback and feedback) except that I am about to move to a new house and stuff is getting packed away.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Weekenders on 2002-07-11 17:49 ]</font>
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Hi steve, yes-'Donegal and back' is the album that i've ordered-from a Newcastle upon tyne independant shop-'Windows'(perhaps they'll knock something off for a free plug? lol).I actually picked it up and looked at it last week,but put it back,as i thought that i'd already spent enough money for one day. naturally,it wasn't there when i went back-obviously someone else in these parts has heard of him!Anyway,the shop is getting me a copy in the near future,so something to look forward to.As you say,his style of playing is quite different from Micho's,mainly due to Donegals remoteness and the preponderance(sp?)of fiddle music in the area,to the exclusion of other instruments.I read that packie said that whistles were considered to be 'toys' as far as most people were concerned- this is still probably the case to most 'non-cognicenti' today!
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-07-11 15:29, TonyHiggins wrote:
So, where are you guys ordering your cd's from? Do they charge an arm and a leg. A leg I could see. Need 2 arms to keep playing.
Tony
Tony, I got them from http://www.thelivingtradition.com. They list the price at 16.49 Euros, but when they convert to dollars and deduct the VAT, it comes out to $13.75 per CD plus shipping. To me, they're worth that much for the stories alone.

StevieJ, thanks for the pronunciation. I was saying wrong, definitely.

Weekenders, thanks for the tip about Down Home. I'll check them out. And it's nice to know someone views the old trad masters the same way I do.

Can any of you long time players explain the way Micho's whistle screeches in the upper octave? Is that the norm, and are we just spoiled here in North America, and in this age? I listened to Mary Bergin again and her Generation doesn't make that screech, so I know that at least some players care about smoothing out that sound.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I think you must look at Micho's playing as a highly individual, personal way of playing. In a way it is very similar to the way he spoke, halting ryhms and big explosions of voice. The same happens in his whistle playing, he blew fierce hard at times, took the notes to breaking point, it is that what you hear as screechyness. I always thought he had a wonderfull bubbly tone. Another indication that his playing is a highly personal one is the fact that both Packie and Gussie played quite differently, in fact they could not at all play together well, I think the recording Weekenders likes so much is one of few occasions where they actually were sat down and made to play together. And with mixed results. Their styles are all quite different yet coming from the same regional style and same influences.

Micho was full of music and the music was a true reflection of his personality. I remember one time when we were to play at a festival together in Dordrecht in The Netherlands and one in Belgium some days later. [that was 1986 or 87]
Micho arrived late for the first gig, we had five minutes to get soem idea of the tuens we were going to play, we went on and did our bit. With mixed results.
Anyway, Micho stayed with people in Dordrecht and I went to Rotterdam. I met him a few days later at 8 in the morning at Dordrecht railway station to trave lto Eindhoven and Maastricht before landing in Belgium to do a radio thing and the concert at night. We got on the 8.15 commuter t oEindhoven, usual thing lots of people with briecases on their daily trip. I was sitting there with micho, talking music, himself remarking how fertile the Dutch fields looked [and how flat compared to his own holding on the edge of Moher]. While talking music he constantly came out with bits of songs and every now and again the whsitle came out for a few tunes.
After a while he picked up his travel bag and pulled out a big bag of toffees. He offered me one but I declined, he started munching away, but midway decided they were fierce sticky so he took out his teeth, and wolfed down half the bag holding the dripping dentures in his outstreched hand. When he had enough he put them back and pulled out the whistle for a nice set dance.
Some Dutch commuters went to work that day with some impressions to talk about.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

That is fascinating stuff, Peter. Thanks for taking time to share your memories. Have you written/are you writing a book about the trad music scene that you've lived?
jim_mc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

On 2002-07-11 16:59, Kerry wrote:
I only have the "Ireland's Whistling Ambassador" CD, but based on your reviews, I think it is time to add to my collection.

You should check out the Pennywhistler's Press web site: http://www.pennywhistle.com/

On this site you will find 4 or 5 songs from the Whistling Ambassador CD, along with the musical notation for each song, complete with the ornaments that Micho uses. I belive this is part of a larger effort by Bill Ochs documenting the music of Micho.

Kerry
You're right, Kerry. Bill Ochs is working on a book about Micho. I believe the book will include biographical data and some area music history, but the main thrust will be transcriptions of all of Micho's music! I'm not sure what the publication date is, but Bill has been working on this project for quite a while. It is an enormous undertaking. I'll be sure to post further information (with Bill's permission) as he reveals it.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!