Traditional vs. Modern playing

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.

Which clip do you prefer?

The Ennis clip.
43%
The McSherry clip.
25%
I'll take a good dose of both, thankyou.
32%

Total votes: 60

gallant_murray
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Traditional vs. Modern playing

Post by gallant_murray »

Which clip gives you the most tingles?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF3fW4Nox9U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0KQTv8qvkE

Note: I changed the title to state more clearly what I'm going for. This is not about who is better; it's about which style you prefer.
Last edited by gallant_murray on Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ramzy Berbawy

I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks.
-Scout Finch
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Ennis without a doubt...I was expecting Flately to come tripping across the stage at any moment in his sequins on tip toe on the Mc Sherry clip. :swear: and contrary to what was said on the other thread it is not easier to play a flat set than a concert. :devil:
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I didn't vote on the music in the clips. I voted on the hair-cuts. Say what you want about Ennis, but he had style. JMcS, on the other hand ... let's just say that the 70s are over.

It's probably not fair to compare the clips regarding the piping, as SE is solo (playing his regs) and JMcS just plays his chanter and has another musician accompanying him.
PJ
Darran

Post by Darran »

I said both, because i like both of those specific clips, but i prefer Mcsherry's piping, guess i should go buy some kenny G or dave matthews... whoever he is
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

Hey! Nothing wrong with Dave Matthews!
Corin
Darran

Post by Darran »

nothing right with him either :P
uilleannpiper

Post by uilleannpiper »

I stand by what I said on the other thread - "I think its much more difficult to control the concert sets and to create something special with their sound and tone". I know and have heard many pipers who sound grand on a flat set but give them a concert set and....... Lets just say they are different beasts.
I don't think anyone can or should dismiss either of the clips. They both show great control and emotion by both players. The differences are that one is old and the other modern, one is on a flat set, the other on a concert. Both are great!
Fingers

Post by Fingers »

Fair point Uilleannpiper!
I agree whole heartedly. Both clips demonstrate full mastery of the instrument.
I'll have one!!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

uilleannpiper wrote:I stand by what I said on the other thread - "I think its much more difficult to control the concert sets and to create something special with their sound and tone". I know and have heard many pipers who sound grand on a flat set but give them a concert set and....... Lets just say they are different beasts.
They are different beasties, I'll give you that. But as it has been written a gazillion times already in this forum, reed set up makes all of the difference.

Ronan Browne, for instance, is playing a very nice and gentle sounding concert set in his recording The Wynd You Know. When I first heard the recording, I swore they were a flat pitched set.

Sure, there may be an argument made for sound engineering, but in this example, I believe it is the way Ronan built and set his reeds up to play.

Learn a new mantra today: "It's all about the reeds, it's all about the reeds, it's all about the... "
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I think it's all in the piper. I'd never mistake the pipes on The wynd you know for a flat set and I would not think of them as gentle sounding at all either so what do I know.

But maybe there's some validity in the interview with Liam O Flynn for 'The Seamus Ennis story' where he tells how Ennis picked up his (Flynn's) pipes and 'there it was, that unmistakable Ennis tone'

Equally I remember the reaction from the London pipers when LOF for the first time played a concert there on Ennis' pipes. Asked how it was the reaction was 'ah well.. like Flynn, playing a flat set'.
eric

Post by eric »

> I think it's all in the piper.

Yep, that's a big part of it Peter.

Joe mentioned:

> reed set up makes all of the difference.

I recall Browne mentioned how different ideas work differently on concert versus flat-pitch pipes, and that he modifies his playing accordingly.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Sure, the piper has pretty much everything to do with it.

To my ear, Ronan's pipes are considerably mellower in tone than most concert sets I have heard to date.

But what's the difference? There really isn't any need to compare the piping styles of McSherry and Ennis, seperated by loads of decades, personal experience and background influences.

It is an exercise in futility within the theater of the absurd, which I liken to the childhood boasting game of "My mother can beat up your Dad". IOW, utterly pointless. :lol:
rgouette
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

Tingles? McSherry.
However, for historical & influence sake, I respect Ennis immensely.

" tripping across the stage at any moment in his sequins on tip toe on the Mc Sherry.."
Regarding these sentiments, it's like Joe says, all opinion & taste.

my .02
Rich
BzzzzT
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by BzzzzT »

I can't help but think this thread is pejorative in nature given the recent thread. Both are excellent pipers. I don't see the point of casting votes, except to put forward some implied disapproval or prove some subjective point that is better left to conversation.
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Ennis. Not even close. :D