Mac Nic Tin Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
falkbeer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Mac Nic Tin Whistle

Post by falkbeer »

I´d be greatful if someone could tell me more about the Mac Nic tin whistle!

http://www.tinwhistle.de/02ba7597dc0dd7 ... /index.php

You can get it in messing and neusilber (brass and silver plated). But how does it sound and is it worth the money?
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Interesting. I've never heard of these. A secret German whistle! Presumably, the name is a German pun (Mac Nics = mach nix = macht nichts). From the photo, the brass one looks a bit like a Dixon Trad. Here's the website description in English (my translation):

"Mac Nic whistles are made from cylindrical brass or nickel silver. All Mac Nics have a tunable black plastic mouthpiece. These whistles have a strong, full sound that can hold up even in sessions. Compared to the brass whistles, the nickel silver whistles have a brighter, more brilliant tone. The sound of the brass whistles is somewhat softer. They can be comfortably played throughout the entire range of nearly 2 1/2 octaves. Mac Nic whistles are available in many keys. A good value in a professional quality whistle line."

[Apologies to Peter L. for that last bit. But that's what it says. :-) ]

I've never heard of those TWZ whistles either ...
rh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

looks like a sweetone head on there...
ImageImage
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Ja ja!

That does indeed look like a Sweetone head.

Someone "Might mind"

:D

MT... how many languages do you command?

:)
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
arnie

Post by arnie »

It's of TWZ and is a wellknown German whistle.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

MTGuru wrote: [Apologies to Peter L. for that last bit. But that's what it says. :-) ]
A few days ago someone was talking about a whistle that was 'tweaked very professionally' . And that was about a fecking little sheet of brass glued into a window. I was biting my tongue. People talking out of their hole is what Podge and Rodge would say.
Brigitte

Re: Mac Nic Tin Whistle

Post by Brigitte »

falkbeer wrote:I´d be greatful if someone could tell me more about the Mac Nic tin whistle!

http://www.tinwhistle.de/02ba7597dc0dd7 ... /index.php

You can get it in messing and neusilber (brass and silver plated). But how does it sound and is it worth the money?
Neusilber is "new silver" and a kind of "extented brass mixture, it is not silver plated but a copper-zink-nickel-mixture, that is much harder as silber, because of the Ni mixed into it it looks shiny like silver and therefore in Germany got called Neusilber (on the old flutes you hear often is being described as German silver), new silver "formular" is CuZnNi and like most brass or bronce-mixtures it can be silver plated. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_silver

Sorry have not seen one of these in flesh here so cannot comment on their sound or playabilities.

Brigitte
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

MTGuru wrote:Interesting. I've never heard of these. A secret German whistle! Presumably, the name is a German pun (Mac Nics = mach nix = macht nichts). From the photo, the brass one looks a bit like a Dixon Trad. Here's the website description in English (my translation):

"Mac Nic whistles are made from cylindrical brass or nickel silver. All Mac Nics have a tunable black plastic mouthpiece. These whistles have a strong, full sound that can hold up even in sessions. Compared to the brass whistles, the nickel silver whistles have a brighter, more brilliant tone. The sound of the brass whistles is somewhat softer. They can be comfortably played throughout the entire range of nearly 2 1/2 octaves. Mac Nic whistles are available in many keys. A good value in a professional quality whistle line."

Nice translation! This looks very promising. Have perhaps I found the holy grail of tin whistles? If no one beats me to it I´ll order one and write a revue.
ChristianRo

Post by ChristianRo »

Some of my whistle students play these whistles. I only know the D model. It most certainly is a Sweetone C mouthpiece stuck on a wide-bore, rather thick walled D tube. (i thought it was aluminium, funny, I'll check next time one comes around). It's quite loud, tuning seems ok, although I remember they seem to vary a bit from instrument to instrument (i have tried 2 or 3 of them). Not really a beginner whistle, I'd say, but one of the safer bets from TWZ.
Christian
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

falkbeer wrote:
MTGuru wrote:Interesting. I've never heard of these. A secret German whistle! Presumably, the name is a German pun (Mac Nics = mach nix = macht nichts). From the photo, the brass one looks a bit like a Dixon Trad. Here's the website description in English (my translation):

Nice translation! This looks very promising. Have perhaps I found the holy grail of tin whistles? If no one beats me to it I´ll order one and write a revue.
Did you try one out yet? :)
lalit

Post by lalit »

Mac = son of

Nic = daughter of

?
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Here's a little info. The MacNic whistles, A and Bb, are described as being 'low'. I was assuming a lowBb and a lowA, the big beasts. So I ordered a lowBb, assuming I'd get a 70cm whistle. Unfortunately my and their understanding of lowBb wasn't the same, and i received a standard Bb whistle. :( So, I'll be returning that one and will order an Overton. :)