lyrics for Inisheer????

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
skywatcher
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by skywatcher »

I am just enchanted by the song Inisheer. Are there any lyrics to it anywhere?
Thanks!
"Watchin' the sky, ready to fly!"
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

http://www.tinwhistler.com notates that there are lyrics for the song, but they're not printed with the music. You could email him and see if he has them.
Susan
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

Perhaps I should explain :wink:

I don't think Inisheer has lyrics. But, whenever I put a comment in a tune (such as "I didn't notate the slides on this air, because they aren't really sliding from one notated note to another...", or comments in other tunes about keys, etc), the software I wrote throws a * on the name. When I started making comments on a few tunes, I just re-cycled the lyrics field in the datbase to do it. The software doesn't know it's a comment...far as it's concerned, anything in that field is lyrics, thus the *.

I should probably change my website to say "*=a song with lyrics or comments"), but I've been incredibly lazy about my web page lately.

Greg
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

maybe do like the rest of the world, stop calling it a song when there are no words to be sung to it.
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

Hmm..I was pretty sure I called it a tune 3 times in that message, and only used the word "song" in this quote:
"*=a song with lyrics or comments"

I was pretty sure if it had lyrics, it'd be called "a song".

Now, granted, the word "song" is used quite a bit on my website. The word "tune" is used less. Back when I started the site, there were far more <i>songs</i> than there were <i>tunes</i> on the site. I started my site originally when I was "new", and like most plain folk, call most pieces of music "songs".

There still are a fair number songs on my site though they are outwieighed by tunes. Thus, neither term quiet accurately reflects the totality of music. "Songs and Tunes" will not fit on most of the graphic icons I use for my site.

So, I'm left in a quandry. There are a lot of tunes...there are a lot of songs. What should I call them?

Since most lay people recognize the word "song" to be synonymous with "a piece of music", I decided to leave most of the icons as "songs". Most lay people also call all forms of martial arts "karate", though this is obviously in error to the practitioner. I figure that someone who knows the difference between a song and tune won't be confused by my site, and someone who doesn't know the difference wouldn't care either way.

Personally, I feel I've spent far more time in this post over the use those terms than they ultimately deserve. :wink:
On 2002-07-17 14:42, Peter Laban wrote:
maybe do like the rest of the world, stop calling it a song when there are no words to be sung to it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wandering_Whistler on 2002-07-17 16:14 ]</font>
NicoMoreno
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

On 2002-07-17 14:42, Peter Laban wrote:

Semantics!!!

and... "the rest of the world" ?!?!?!
What the h...
Really, the ONLY place songs vs tunes has ever come into question is here. Sessions, bands, church, music class (hey maybe these teachers trained in music and teaching it actually do know something. I know that isn't a very popular concept here in Ontario these days...) all of these places make NO distinction in the use of the word song. A song is and will always be a piece of music...

Semantics! Pah!

Nico
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

To add some weight to my arguments, here is what the World Book Encyclopedia Dictionary L-Z says about song

song, n. 1. something to sing; short poem set to music
2. poetry that has a musical sound
3. a piece of music for, or as if for, a poem that is to be sung
4. the act or practice of singing
5. any sound like singing
6. a mere trifle; low price

And to quote a good friend, teacher, and fine singer: Every musical instrument ever invented is an attempt to imitate the human voice.

So every piece of music is intended to be sung, no?

Nico
skywatcher

Post by skywatcher »

Hey! I just wanted to know if there are lyrics to this "piece".
Thanks!
"Watchin' the sky, ready to fly!"
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-07-17 16:14, Wandering_Whistler wrote:
Hmm..I was pretty sure I called it a tune 3 times in that message, and only used the word "song" in this quote:
"*=a song with lyrics or comments"

So, I'm left in a quandry. There are a lot of tunes...there are a lot of songs. What should I call them?
Keep calling them songs. It gives people a chance to feel superior by correcting you.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

Hmm, Hmm
Hmm, Hmm, Hmm, Hmm,
Hmm, Hmm,
Hmm, Hmm, Hmm, Hmm,
etc.
:roll:
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
Dewhistle

Post by Dewhistle »

Is this song "Irisheer" or have I had the name wrong? I acknowledge this possibility, so don't hold back, now. Much.

No, I don't have anything constructive like the words to it... just curious.
"We took pictures of the native girls, but they weren't developed. But we're going back again in a couple of weeks..."
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

It's "Inisheer."
Kim in Tulsa

Post by Kim in Tulsa »

On 2002-07-17 16:14, Wandering_Whistler wrote:
I think you ought to call them a "ditty" now and then. For example, you could program into your software so that it notes when a piece is particularly difficult "This little ditty is a doozey!" That oughta really irritate a few people. Except us that come from 'round Houston, of course...we're too laid back.

:smile:

Kim
PS, Since I started playing the whistle this last May, your site is the one I frequent the most and have passed it on to several other people.
"Whistling women and crowing hens never come to no good end"
Dewhistle

Post by Dewhistle »

Inisheer. What on Earth does it mean?

Danged tiny internet font. Maybe the one I saw was misprinted, yeah...
"We took pictures of the native girls, but they weren't developed. But we're going back again in a couple of weeks..."
hillfolk22

Post by hillfolk22 »

There is a word or name for it. And I can not recall what it is. Blues singers do it.

One takes a tune and sings it with words like ta du du dee dum ditty dum ditty dum ditty. I have heard Celtic groups do this as well. So then, has a tune turned into a song because vocals are being used?

Actually that's how I learn to memorize tunes. I get it stuck in my head first by singing the tune.

If I cannot play whistle on my way to work. I run new tunes through my head.

Laura