Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Akiba
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Mnpts,

Regarding tuners (and maybe others can chime in on this and perhaps I should start a new thread about this), it seems to me that the wood flute sound is so complex with so many overtones that many tuners give inaccurate readings. Particularly on 1st octave A, E's and others I find that I have to bend a note till it's obviously out of tune to get it "right" on the tuner.

Another way I practice intonation is to set a drone note (usually D or G of course, but also throughout the keyless range) and work to set the right wavelength feedback based on its interval, concentrating particularly on the base note/octave, the major third (G-B, D-F#), the fourth (G-C, D-G) and the fifth (G-D, D-A). The note will "settle" into its proper place when in tune. I then at times record myself playing with a drone note to see how it sounds just listening, not while I'm playing. It's certainly more subjective, less scientific, but makes more sense to me, particularly since: 1) ITM is often played with Just Tempered intonation rather than Equal Tempered, which is how modern tuners are usually set; and 2) I don't trust tuners.

Jason
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Okay, so many of you are out celebrating St. Pat's Day. That's great. I took the day off, but felt compelled to play something....so, here are a couple of reels in honor of the holiday.
Arbo

http://www.box.net/shared/irldgzxc08
(jenny picking cockles /the earl's chair)
mahanpots
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mahanpots »

Nice Arbo. I particularly liked the sliding into the first note of Earl's Chair. Nice playing there. Thanks for sharing.

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
mahanpots

Jamie Allen

Post by mahanpots »

Here's one I learned from a hammered dulcimer player in Asheboro, NC. Anybody else have a version? I'd love to hear it.

There's some discussion about it over at sessions.org and here's what one poster says about it:
Jimmy or Jamie Allen was a piper who lived from 1733 to 1810. He was famed for his expertise on Northumbrian smallpipes and other kinds of bagpipes, but was an all-round rogue. At 70 he was imprisoned for stealing a horse, and spent his last seven years in a gaol under the road down to Elvet Bridge in Durham; he died days before a pardon arrived from the Prince Regent.
Jamie Allen

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

ImNotIrish wrote:Miss Thornton's. Yep, that's the one. And I will give the A part a 'brush up.' As I mentioned, it took me a while to get the tune back. Thanks, Arbo.

Okay, I re-did tune. The A part isn't perfect, but it's better than the first attempt. I think I have most of the tune now.
Thanks for listening Rob.

http://www.box.net/shared/3r4rxv5c04
(the improved miss thronton)
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this one....

Two suggestions:

First, try adding a cut to the high B in the second part - that helps punch it out. While you're up there, try adding cuts to the A's as well, for extra definition and "bark."

Second, try keeping the whole B part in the second octave. I like the sound of dropping down into the first octave, but not every time. Make sure you're doing it as a choice, and not to cover some discomfort with playing long passages up high.

My general suggestion for tunes like this is to try to play the high parts as quietly and as sweetly as possible, as an exercise. Then, bring the volume back up to where it's basically the same as what you're getting in the low octave, but hopefully carrying some of the sweetness with you on the way back up. Hope that helps. Cheers,

Rob
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Thanks Rob.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

mahanpots wrote: Here's a couple of clips from a performance last night. I'm still getting over this flu/cold bug that bit me. I brought a flask of Kale/apple/jalepeno pepper juice with me to help me out.

Here's a short and a long version:

Road to Lisdoonvarna, Killavil Jig (short version)

Michael
Michael,

Thanks for the comment on the two reels. I wasn't really totally happy with them, but I think it's just par for the course-you put them out there and it reflects the moment. I didn't want to do a dozen takes to get it 'just right.'

Just listened to your short clip. I have to agree with Akiba... Nice punch to the Killavil. I wish I had an accompanist to play some tunes with. I am often told I play sharp at sessions. Don Meade just told me that last night, in fact. I find that I have to sit next to a fixed instrument player (box, concertina) to get it just right. I hate it when I launch into a tune and I am way sharp....

Arbo
cocusflute

Happy Purim - here's a wee Yiddish folk tune

Post by cocusflute »

It's been a while since I posted a tune. Looking past Old Testament ethno-centrism, here's a Happy Purim to everybody.

I learned this lovely Purim tune from Miles Krassen. It's easy enough but it's in Dm and does have an Fn, Bb, and 3rd octave D.

Purim tune
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

nice one cocus!
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Yea Cocus!
Yea Purim!

Arbo
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Thanks, Cocus, for the tune. Your tone and intonation on the bottom octave are awesome. I assume you used a keyed flute for this; if not, you have the smoothest cross-fingering/half-holing I've ever heard.

In the same spirit, I've been experiementing playing traditional Jewish melodies in an 'Irish' flute style. I found that the song HINAY MA TOV works well as a slow jig because it is, in one of its versions (settings?), in 6/8 time. So to continue the Jewish song fest, I recorded it and put it on my site of clips. I'd be very interested to find out what you think (and others as well of course).

Go to http://www.geocities.com/jpollack2000/JasonClips.html and click on HINAY MA TOV.

La'Chiam--To Life--Cheers.

Jason
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

Here's a set of tunes I'll share that my guitar and cittern player friend says is more in tune from our recent performance. I'm still working on my "ears."

Maids and Monaghan short

Maids and Monaghan long

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

mahanpots wrote:Here's a set of tunes I'll share that my guitar and cittern player friend says is more in tune from our recent performance. I'm still working on my "ears."

Maids and Monaghan short

Maids and Monaghan long

Michael
That's freakin' awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! **thumbs up**

With the guitar as background sounds spectacular. I'm working on "Maid Of Monsico" at present and I'm happy of having heard this version. Incredible, man.

Cheers,
Martin

P.S.: Incredible, incredible... lol!
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Michael and All,

Just wondering if you have a minute to listen to the tuning on the following tune. I know I am still blowing too hard, especially on the bottom end, but what about the top? Is the tuning okay? Honestly, I can't tell any more...these discussions are getting to my nerves I guess
Arbo

http://www.box.net/shared/sbktyy3484
(farewell to Williamstown)(R&R)
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Arbo, i'm not an expert so i won't say much about your tuning. It sounds to me that you waste too much air in the top octave, so probably your lips aren't tight enough.

Anyway i wanted to say thank you for posting this beautiful and nicely played tune, that i've never heard before, and that i'll surely learn as soon as i can :thumbsup:

EDIT: d'oh it has an F natural this is not fair :lol: well i'll half-hole it :P