Question for chieftain gold owners

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
medit8b1
antispam: No

Question for chieftain gold owners

Post by medit8b1 »

Has anyone here who owns or has owned a chieftain gold whistle ever tried to polish it? I just got a gold low D and man is it tarnished. I know some prefer the look but I was thinking it might look cool all shiny. I was thinking I might try one of those brass polishes, but I'm abit leary.
Long live the Low Whistle!
http://pipersgrip.50webs.com
cavefish
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

brasso or neverdull :D
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

I like Flitz. It doesn't eat delrin. Works fine on my Copelands and last a few months.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Have fun with you Gold Low D! I've been using No 7 Chrome polish on mine since I had my first one (almost 2 years ago now), and have used on all my unfinished brass whistles since with good results.

I wash the residue off with soap and water afterwards, but as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing like the feel of a newly polished brass whistle! I just wish they would stay that way longer!

I've been using a wax mixture on it afterwards, and that only keeps it shiny for a while though. Would like to know if something keeps it from oxidizing for a while. Most likely not though.

A jeweler's rouge rag works as well. Also have heard that lemon juice and salt work too as a brass polish, which is non-toxic of course!
~~~~
Barry
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

CranberryDog wrote:I like Flitz. It doesn't eat delrin. Works fine on my Copelands and last a few months.
How long does Flitz keep it shiny? That long?
~~~~
Barry
jmiller
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jmiller »

Use a soft rag soaked in Worcestershire Sauce and a nice rinse in dishsoap afterwords. Nice non-toxic shine.
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

CranberryDog wrote:I like Flitz. It doesn't eat delrin. Works fine on my Copelands and last a few months.
does brasso eat up delrin
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

cavefish wrote:
does brasso eat up delrin
Howdy Pardner,
I understand that any cleaner with petroleum distllates (Brasso is one of them) has a chemical reaction with delrin that may lead to clogging and degradation. Cyril
sponge
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

Post by sponge »

I use an non abrasive metal cream cleaner called peek, its blue in color and smells a bit, but it cleans all metals, and it make brass shine like gold.

although my playing still sucked my whistles looked like that of a real pro.

Sponge
jmiller
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jmiller »

Again, I just don't understand why anyone would want to put something toxic and smelly on a whistle (guy thinking?) to clean it when there is a non-toxic alternative (Worcestershire Sauce). Maybe because it's sold in a grocery store not a hardware store?
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

jmiller wrote:Again, I just don't understand why anyone would want to put something toxic and smelly on a whistle (guy thinking?) to clean it when there is a non-toxic alternative (Worcestershire Sauce).
I imagine Woscerstershire Sauce is pretty smelly as well. :wink:
sponge
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

Post by sponge »

Dont get me wrong I love my whistles, but Woscerstershire Sauce is way too good to be cleaning anything with, I grew up on that and Marmite as a kid, along with beef dripping sandwiches, those were the days before cholesterol :D

the gold brass low d I had looked stunning polished up, but was easier to play when well tarnished, it gave extra grip, and with the weight of the brass the extra grip was a bonus

sponge
medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

I believe Worcestershire Sauce works as a polish for the same reason lemon juice does, lots of natural acid. So you have to be careful to wash it all off when your done! I still can't decide what to try yet, but thanks for all the suggestions! I'll let you know how it works out.
Long live the Low Whistle!
http://pipersgrip.50webs.com
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

Steamwalker wrote:
jmiller wrote:Again, I just don't understand why anyone would want to put something toxic and smelly on a whistle (guy thinking?) to clean it when there is a non-toxic alternative (Worcestershire Sauce).
I imagine Woscerstershire Sauce is pretty smelly as well. :wink:
One of the reasons I choose Flitz is that it in non toxic. Cheers :thumbsup:
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

Flitz it is :D