AIR/REEL......need clarification

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Talbert St. Claire
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

AIR/REEL......need clarification

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

Hi guys,

I came across these below but I am not sure what type of tunes they are. Have not heard any of these played before but am curious. I am researching lots of Trad music and need some help.

1- "Molly Ban". Is this a reel? Is it Trad?
2- "Aisling Gheil". Sounds like an air to my ears. Is it Trad?
3- "The Pretty Milkmaid". Air or slow reel? Is this Trad?

Thanks for your assistance.
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: AIR/REEL......need clarification

Post by Nanohedron »

talbert st.claire wrote:Hi guys,

I came across these below but I am not sure what type of tunes they are. Have not heard any of these played before but am curious. I am researching lots of Trad music and need some help.

1- "Molly Ban". Is this a reel? Is it Trad?
2- "Aisling Gheil". Sounds like an air to my ears. Is it Trad?
3- "The Pretty Milkmaid". Air or slow reel? Is this Trad?

Thanks for your assistance.
Not sure about #1, but the name would seem traditional enough. It sounds familiar. After a search, all I find is a reel in E Dorian with that name so far. Aisling Geal (or Gheal; unsure which is correct or if it matters, but it should be spelled in any case with an "e" preceding an "a" in the Irish) is a traditional air as I recall, sometimes described as a waltz but that would depend on how you interpret it. As for "The Pretty Milkmaid", I'd have to hear it; I know a traditional air, An Cailín Deas ag Crúite na mBó (commonly translated as "The Pretty Maid Milking Her Cow", and the like): I know of one version in Am on flute, and that was with a waltzy pulse to it, and another version in Em on the box, and although that version was far less metered, the seeds of the waltzy pulse were still there. So maybe we're thinking of different tunes, here.
Last edited by Nanohedron on Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

All traditional. Recommended recordings might be ;
1 - The Bothy Band recorded "Molly Ban" as "Gorman's". There is 1 other reel by that name, I think.
2 - Sure Noel Hill recorded it somewhere.
3 - Harry Bradley has a great version, but I'm pretty certain this is originally a song. I think Finbar Furey recorded a slow-air version, and possibly John Doherty.
This is of course assuming we're talking about the same tunes. Would be easier if you could post a few bars of "abcs".
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
kenny

Post by kenny »

I'm agreeing with nanohedron here in that I'm assuming your 3rd tune is "The Young Girl Milking Her Cow". Possibly you're referring to a different tune altogether.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Talbert St. Claire

pretty milkmaid....

Thanks for your help :) .

Just heard from a member that "The Pretty Milkmaid" is on an album called, "Irish Music In Chicago". Released around 98-99? Laurence Nugent is the flute player for the track. If anyone has heard this piece please respond here if possible. I am sure I could get the album. If you already have the CD what do the liner notes reveal regarding the track.

The member did not mention what type of tune it is. Slow reel, air? I'll try e-mailing to see what type tune this is.

Appreciate the assistance.
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Re: pretty milkmaid....

Post by Nanohedron »

talbert st.claire wrote:Thanks for your help :) .

Just heard from a member that "The Pretty Milkmaid" is on an album called, "Irish Music In Chicago". Released around 98-99? Laurence Nugent is the flute player for the track. If anyone has heard this piece please respond here if possible. I am sure I could get the album. If you already have the CD what do the liner notes reveal regarding the track.

The member did not mention what type of tune it is. Slow reel, air? I'll try e-mailing to see what type tune this is.

Appreciate the assistance.
I believe I know the track of Larry that you mean, and it is the one I referred to above (and the source from which I learned the tune). Not a reel at all. Although it's a slow air, he tightens it up and plays it more as if it were a waltz (which can be done), waltzes being 3/4 time. Reels are in 4/4 time, and whether played mensurally or nonmensurally, The Pretty Maid Milking Her Cow definitely has no relationship to reel meter whatever. Or rather, it shouldn't, if I understand the tune at all, and I've been playing it - and hearing others who know the tune well play it - for a while, now.

I'd try an ABC to see if we're talking about the same melody (and I think we are), but I'm only semiliterate at ABC notation and trying ABCs for 3/4 time kicks my butt. I could write it as if it were in 6/8....
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
kenny

Milkmaid

Post by kenny »

http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/1758

Is this it ? This has been transcribed from Harry Bradley's 2nd solo CD. He plays it as a "swingy" kind of waltz. I'm sure Finbar Furey plays it as a slow -air on his first solo LP, which is now available as CD. 2 very different takes on the same tune. If you look at the front page of the "sessions" tune transcription, it gives a list of recordings of tunes by that title, but there's never any guarantee that that's the same tune as you're looking for.
I'm sure I used to have the "Chicago" recording referred to above - on the Rounder label ? - but really don't remember Larry Nugent being on it, although I could be wrong. I didn't think he'd moved to the States until later than 1998/99. Larry [ now L.E. ] McCullough was on it though, I seem to rememeber. Sure it wasn't him ?
"Aisling Geal" is the last track on the CD recorded by Noel Hill and Tony McMahon - might be McMahon who plays it, actually - I'd have to check.
Good luck with your search.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Aisling Gheal can be heard on at least two uilleann CDs, Padraic Mac Mathuna's "Blas Na Meala" and Declan Masterson's "Tropical Trad".
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

About the Pretty Maid Milking Her Cow, I'm used to hearing it as a waltz but the Bothy Band play the same tune as a jig and reel. I don't know how ABC format works but the waltz goes:
3/4 GBG/F#AF#/ED etc
The first part is E minor-ish while the second part is in G.
kenny

Hmmm....

Post by kenny »

"The Leitrim Jig" & "The Sword In Hand" - I can see slight similarities, but no more than that.
chas

Post by chas »

Custer LaRue sings the words to Pretty maid milking her cow on the Baltimore Consort album The mad buckgoat.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Talbert St. Claire

Thanks for the reply's.

Aisling Gheil. Obviously in Gaelic. Exactly what's the English translation of this Air?

I did google it and found out that this was an "air" recording by a number of folks.

Incidentally, I just purchased the "Irish Music In Chicago" Cd. It was really easy to find since I live in the Chicago Area. Yes, Nugent plays it as a waltz. Very nice!! Looking forward to learning this soon :) . His version is really very smooth.

P.S. Hey Kenny,

Yes, Nugent is on the track and I believe one more track. Excellent CD.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

talbert st.claire wrote:Aisling Gheil. Obviously in Gaelic. Exactly what's the English translation of this Air?
Aisling Geal, Talbert. Not "gheil". Geal. It means "Bright Dream [or vision]". Geal is a commonly used adjective with positive connotations.

The closest word in Irish to "gheil" in this case is the genitive singular of giall (hostage), which is géill. Grammatically it works, but there's no "Dream of the Hostage" that I know of. :wink:
Talbert St. Claire

thanks....

Thanks Nanohedron!

That's so helpful. I am truly greatful for all the reply's. I love the title! I Look forward to trying to create something around this traditional air sometime in the future. I heard it briefly. It's fantastic stuff. Perfect title for the mood it places you in!

Much appreciated guys.

Take care.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I like using the Ceolas Fiddler's companion when I have questions like this.
http://tinyurl.com/3dh8ej

It's pretty thorough.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║