Sweetone vs Meg

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
fullario
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by fullario »

Hello everyone. If any of you are wondering I did place an order at The Whistle Shop for a Dixon tunable D. Thanks for all your suggestions from my last post. But yet another question:

I've heard really good things about the Clarke Meg, but it seems to me that the Sweetone, having the Copeland-design mouthpiece, would be a better whistle. The price is really no object; it's only $5 more, but I keep hearing about the Meg, not the Sweetone. Can anyone who owns or plays both of these tell me which one is really better (in terms of construction, tone, etc.)
Thanks!
tkelly

Post by tkelly »

At these prices, I'd get one of each and compare them for myself!

Tery
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

The Meg is exactly the same whistle, with the same mouthpiece. The only constructional difference is the quality of the metal, and I can't see that that makes any noticeable difference either, it's just the spiel they give out.

I actually prefer the Meg to my normal Sweetone. I have a D Meg in Matt Black, and a C in Matt Silver, courtesy of Steve @ Shanna Quay. My Sweetone is also black, but glossy.

There is a slight tonal difference, but I expect there is variation within the two types.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Martin Milner on 2002-07-26 11:52 ]</font>
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Fullario,
The Meg and the Sweetone have the identical mouthpiece.
Mike
psychih
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by psychih »

I guess aesthetically the Meg would look nicer. But since both are helluva cheap, why not get one each and see what you like? I have 2 Sweetones in Electric Blue & Lime Green. My brother asked me, <i>"Is that a whistle?"</i> and when I replied yes, he said <i>"But it looks so *immature*!"</i>. Sigh. But I love it despite it's colour. Takes less air and good for night time playing. Won't bother the neighbours who are already telling me to shut up during the day.
garycrosby

Post by garycrosby »

The Meg's mouthpiece isn't glued on (like the Sweetone's) so it is tunable - AFAIK this is the only real difference other than cosmetic issues. The mouthpiece is identical on both; the position and size of the toneholes on both are also identical I have two Sweetones and two Megs (all in D). There is a small range of tonal variation within the entire group but I cannot tell the Sweetones from the Megs. From a cosmetic perspective I prefer the Meg over the Sweetone because I think it looks better (except for maybe that Sweetone Celtic edition because its such a pretty metallic green). I can't think of a compelling reason to buy a Sweetone instead of a Meg.
psychih

Post by psychih »

the sweetone's mouthpiece is glued on? i am able to take mine off nicely.
Kerry

Post by Kerry »

While I can certainly understand why people want to try the new Meg, I still don't understand the craze based on its price. I bought my painted Sweetone for $4.50, and the store also sold unpainted ones for $3.60.

I don't want to put in plugs for any particular business, but they have link from on the C&F links page.
garycrosby

Post by garycrosby »

On 2002-07-26 12:37, psychih wrote:
the sweetone's mouthpiece is glued on? i am able to take mine off nicely.
I only assume that my Sweetone mouthpieces are glued on because I haven't able to move them. I have tried using as much force as I can without bending, flattening, or otherwise mutilating the whistle body. On the other hand, I can move the mouthpieces on both of my Megs with a reasonable amount of effort.
[Edited to improve clarity]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: garycrosby on 2002-07-26 14:02 ]</font>
jimr

Post by jimr »

The Sweetone and Meg are basically idenical except for the fact that they are made in different parts of the world.

The molded fipple is a little less consistant than the Sweetone. We did some quality control for Clarke and they are made as close as they can be to the Sweetone. The lower production cost translates to slight differences in the molding/cleanup process when pieces come from manufacturer.

Our thoughts have generally been that the Meg is just a little bit "sweeter" or softer in tone that the Sweetone, oddly enough, considering the name. Great to have lots in your collection! A whistle for every season.

Jim

P.S As for the mouthpiece moving or tuning, both should be able to move. Just heat up the plastic in some hot water, < 150 degrees, for a bit and grip with a rubber jar cap remover thingy. Twist and pull.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jimr on 2002-07-26 15:10 ]</font>
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I haven't seen a Meg yet, but I remember reading reports that Copeland re-designed the mouthpiece for the Meg. No more than minor differences, I guess. I think I heard it from Bob (whistleworks), who knows Copeland. It was in one of the early announcement/sweat shop threads, I think (too lazy to look).
/Bloomfield
Sean

Post by Sean »

[quote]
On 2002-07-26 15:08, jimr wrote:

a rubber jar cap remover thingy

Is that a technical term?
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Six months ago my 2 year old grandaughter was referring to everything as a "thingy" but she grew out of it.
Mike
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

My dictionary lists "thingamabob, thingamajig, and thingummy"
I think "thingy" fits in there nicely and is a very useful term.
Susan
Sean

Post by Sean »

And I didn't realize that rubber jars had caps.