Salmon mousse stuffed Portobello mushrooms

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Salmon mousse stuffed Portobello mushrooms

Post by Wanderer »

Tonight's entree: Salmon mousse stuffed Portobello mushrooms topped with a traditional white butter sauce.

Picture was taken with a camera phone so it's not that great, but the food was divine :) Herb salad on the side.

This was really easy to make if you have a food processor. I'll provide the recipe for those who wanna give it a try:
  • 6oz boneless skinless salmon filet--I used 2 frozen 4oz fillets from Walmart and figured they were about 3oz after skinning.
  • 3tbs softened butter
  • 1/2 tsp thyme
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt (I used Lowry's)
  • Dash of pepper.
  • 1 egg
  • 1tbs bread crumbs (I used Progresso plain)
  • two medium-large portobello mushroom caps.
Process everything but mushrooms, bread crumbs and eggs until smooth, scraping sides occasionally. Add crumbs and egg and process again until smooth.

Take the mushrooms, remove the stem by gently prying. Remove the ribs of the mushroom with a spoon, by gently scraping sideways against the ribs. You can leave the ribs, but they're harder to stuff, and totally full of little black mushroom spores, so they'll totally make everything dirty looking. Best to just remove them.

Divide mousse into two, putting each half on a mushroom cap (on the ribs-side you just cleaned). Smooth out mousse to edges, trying for even coverage. Mine ended up a little thicker in the very middle, but that was ok.

Wipe bottom of stuffed mushroom with thin smear of olive oil and drizzle a little on top of the mousse. Bake at 300 degrees for about 27 minutes. (I bake on an ungreased jelly roll pan covered in aluminum foil)

While mousse is cooking, make the white butter sauce.
  • 1.5 cups dry white wine. I used vermouth
  • 6tbs or so diced onion. I used about a tbs dried minced onion, reconstituted
  • 1.5 sticks (12tbs) butter, softened to room temperature
Put raw onion and wine in a saucepan, reduce to about 1/4 cup of wine over high heat. lower heat and add butter a couple tbs at a time, softly whisking constantly. you should end up with a white creamy sauce. When mousse comes out of the oven, top with a couple tbs of sauce (you'll have a lot left over..save for whatever you cook tomorrow!) on it. Yum!
Last edited by Wanderer on Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

When I get back to the Dallas area I'll be hoping for a dinner invitation.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

And here I always thought that moose were vegetarians. I'll bet the fish were pretty surpised!

I'll bet a piscivorous moose would be quite happy to pull up to a plate of your salmon mousse. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Where's the moose?

And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
djm

Post by djm »

Right here:

djm
Last edited by djm on Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

funny how I wrote "mousse" when writing up the recipe in some parts, and moose in other parts..(smacks forehead)
Cass

Re: Salmon mousse stuffed Portobello mushrooms

Post by Cass »

Wanderer wrote:
Wipe bottom of stuffed mushroom with thin smear of olive oil and drizzle a little on top of the mouse.

While mouse is cooking, make the white butter sauce.
Didn't see any moose, but saw a couple of Mickey's little friends!

Must try that recipe, but don't know whether to go with the mousse, moose or mouse!! :D

....made me laugh!!! :D :lol:

Cass.
Cass.

Time flies like an arrow....
....Fruit flies like a banana
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Sounds delicious, although my coronary arteries would probably prefer that I skip the white sauce. Maybe just the onions and vermouth.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

One minor modification you could try on this is to cook them in a smoker or on a grill.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Cofaidh wrote:One minor modification you could try on this is to cook them in a smoker or on a grill.
Yeah, it's really good on an outdoor grill..adds a slightly smoky dimension to it. I put a few dashes of liquid smoke in the mousse (mouse? moose?) to try to get some of that same feeling, but outdoor grilling is definitely better.