Glottal stops, newbie student needs help, please!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Cork
antispam: No

Glottal stops, newbie student needs help, please!

Post by Cork »

A respected member of the C&F board recently suggested that I study glottal stops. Now, I recognise that glottal stops are a traditional part of ITM, but I have never made a study of them.

Yes, apparently expert instruction exists beyond the active membership of this board, but, frankly, I would rather learn glottal stop technique right here, from all of you, please.

OK, so, how are glottal stops done?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Say 'Cup,' now leave out the 'p.'
That's it. Seems clumsy and slow at first but
it gets to be expressive and gives more
control than tonguing, which goes by
very quickly.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I'd leave out the c too.

While a workable method of articulation, what Jim describes is just the back half of double tonguing.

Stopping air flow with the glottis is a different thing. It's the thing you do in your throat when you say 'uh-oh'.

Did you ever watch 'Woody the Woodpecker'? Try emulating that inane laugh (the Elmer Fudd laugh is a suitable option). Then try imitating it as silently as possible. Now try that with your jaw and lips in playing posture. The sound you want to hear is hollow, kind of dull sounding pop as your glottis clenches and immediately releases.

I'll add a disclaimer of YMMV.

-Aaron
BillG
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillG »

If you were a Scotsman saying the "glottal" you say it like "glot l" - the space is a echl sound. That's a glottal, glo el, coughing the "el", articulation. Work on it. It is really a good articulation.
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
rama
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

"I loathe and detest the traditional ITM, glottal stop technique. Yes, this is blasphemy here, on the C&F FF, but an open throat is a key technique to flute playing, and the glottal stop, even worse than humming, simply is detrimental to good flute technique."

um...what is it you need to learn?
Cork

Post by Cork »

rama wrote:"I loathe and detest the traditional ITM, glottal stop technique. Yes, this is blasphemy here, on the C&F FF, but an open throat is a key technique to flute playing, and the glottal stop, even worse than humming, simply is detrimental to good flute technique."

um...what is it you need to learn?
You got the quote right, but apparently you don't know how to read.
Last edited by Cork on Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
rama
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

mistaken once again, cork.
Cork

Post by Cork »

AaronMalcomb wrote:I'd leave out the c too.

While a workable method of articulation, what Jim describes is just the back half of double tonguing.

Stopping air flow with the glottis is a different thing. It's the thing you do in your throat when you say 'uh-oh'.

Did you ever watch 'Woody the Woodpecker'? Try emulating that inane laugh (the Elmer Fudd laugh is a suitable option). Then try imitating it as silently as possible. Now try that with your jaw and lips in playing posture. The sound you want to hear is hollow, kind of dull sounding pop as your glottis clenches and immediately releases.

-Aaron
Your description says much, thank you.

The t-k technique is done in the mouth, but apparently the glottal stop is done in the upper throat.

Basically, that calls for a serious study, for closing the throat runs across the grain, so to speak, but, as promised, I will give it a fair try.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

In some ways to me a glottal feels almost like a light cough.

When you get used to it, it's actually not a bad way to articulate.

I've started using them some when playing Baroque pieces on silver flute...I can actually glottal almost as fast as I can double-tongue, and I like the softer, less bright articulation for this music quite a lot. Makes the silver flute actually sound a lot more "wooden" and less bright and metallic.

Back on the ITM side, you can combine a little heavier glottal with a strong breath pulse to really punch a note out from its fellows...very cool for reels like the Glass of Beer, for instance, or Fintan McManus's.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

AaronMalcomb wrote:I'd leave out the c too.

-Aaron
I'm afraid I don't remember the Woody the W laugh, nor
the Elmer Fudd laugh. So I'm not sure I've got this idea.
Is it the difference tween a G and a C?
God and Cup? G comes from deeper in the throat.

I'd better look up some anatomy.
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

As with tonguing, you must learn control. Tonguing done properly does not introduce a TUH or DUH sound any more than glottal stops introduce a CUH sound. The idea is to momentarily stop the flow of air, whilst almost simultaneously giving the next note a pushoff without creating a sound other than the note to be played. The advantage to glottal stops in ITM is that the emphasis differs in a way that gives a tune a certain punch that tonguing does not provide. It also tends to sound less staccato.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

in phonetics, a momentary check on the airstream caused by closing the glottis (the space between the vocal cords) and thereby stopping the vibration of the vocal cords. Upon release, there is a slight choke, or coughlike explosive sound. The glottal stop is not a separate phoneme (or distinctive sound) in English, though it is one of the allophones of the t phoneme in some…

Encylopedia Brit

Wow, how one would use this in place of tonguing seems
to me mysterious rt now.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

jim stone wrote: Is it the difference tween a G and a C?
Uh-uh. (That's a glottal stop sound, two actually.)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

This will take some doing.

Cup works well, FWIW.
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

Is it the difference tween a G and a C?
God and Cup? G comes from deeper in the throat.
No, teh difference there is that in G is voiced (the vocal chords are vibrating), but C is not.

Every consonant has a place of articulation- where your tongue, or wahtever else, does somethign to define your breath and/or larynx vibration. T and D are alveolar bnecuse they take place at the alveolus, P and B are labial becuase they take place at the lips, K and G are velar beuase they take place at the velum, etc. A glottal stop takes place at the glottis, or larynx- the vocal chords. You dont' use the tongue tho, of course. Just "pop" your glottis instead of vibrating it. It's very simple, and everyond not only can do but does it on a regular basis; but it's hard to explain.