Newby taking the plunge...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
norcalbob

Newby taking the plunge...

Post by norcalbob »

Hello everyone. My name is Bob Garcia and I live in Sacramento, California. I thought I would introduce myself since I am about to jump into the world of the Irish flute with both feet. I just purchased my first Irish flute from this forum's own veritable Doc, Patrick Jones, and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival.

After several weeks of exhaustively researching this forum and listening to as many sound samples as I could find, I decided to buy a Copley & Boegli 3 piece blackwood without the tuning slide. Since I don't personally know anyone who plays the Irish flute, this forum was a great resource of information for me. I tend to research things I am interested in until I'm bleary-eyed and about ready to fall out of my chair, so I think I've made a good decision for a relative beginner without breaking the bank.

I have a long history of teaching myself various instruments and currently have been playing the silver Boehm flute for about 8 years. My silver flute is a Muramatsu EX with open holes, offset G, split E, and a B foot. I absolutely love the wonderful dark tone of the Muramatsu's. I've been playing some Irish tunes on it but really love the reedy sound of the traditional Irish flute and decided to try it out. I hope some of my silver flute experience will help with the learning curve, but from what I have read here, it sounds like I am in for a challenge!

I really appreciate the time that many of you have taken on this forum to give advise to beginners. I even learned a lot from the more "opinionated threads" about wood vs Delrin, tuning slide or no tuning slide, various embouchure cuts (elliptical, improved elliptical, 2 semi-circles, rounded rectangle, "modern"...), Prattens, Rudalls, hybrids, and keys vs keyless, and on and on...to the point that my head was beginning to spin. And then there were all the different makers and all of their lovely flutes, each with their adoring owners!

I was concerned about hand size and ease of playability. I can span an octave on the piano but don't consider my hands to be large, more medium sized for a male. And they have taken a beating from over 35 years of technical rockclimbing, and I have begun to have some joint pain recently, to the point that I have stopped climbing for a few months and they are much, much better. I'm about to return to climbing so we'll see if I've got a few more years on the rock or if age is tapping me on the shoulder.

Finally, I thought, enough of this, Bob, just get yourself a nice quality flute from a trusted maker or dealer and get to playing. It came down to a McGee GLP or Rudall Refined or a Copley and, of course, availability. I found myself returning often to the Copley sound sample Doc has on his site. It seemed to have a balance of reediness and sweetness that I found attractive, and there were many glowing posts from veterans and beginners alike who love their Copley flutes. So a Copley it will be. Doc will ship it out Monday

I have taught myself quite a few instruments over the years including a little guitar, piano, recorder, harmonica, silver flute, and most recently didgeridoo, of which I now have 9: 6 that I purchased and 3 that I have made. For Christmas I received a Freeman Tweaked Mellow Dog C/D whistle and an African djembe from loved ones who tolerate my obsessions, and I am having great fun with those. I seem to be a jack-of-many-instruments and master of none, but all of these musical journeys have been wonderful.

I would love to learn to play ITM well enough to join in with a few others at some point. That would be a most satisfying goal. At the ever ripening age of 61, this may be like trying to teach an old dog some new tricks, but what the heck...the older I get, the more every day seems to be a blessing...

Best to all in the New Year,
Bob

crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Welcome, Bob! I'm another jack-of-all-instruments, and (sadly) master of none. I've been playing Irish flute for a few years, but pretty seriously for just one. I find it immensely satisfying. Overall, I have found C&F to be a great place to learn about the music and the instruments, and to meet others with similar leanings. Like any online forum, it's not without its occasional flare-ups and controversy. I guess that goes with the turf, but it's less rampant here than on most forums, IMO.

I hope you enjoy your new flute. Stick around and let us all know how you do with it. :)
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Cork

Post by Cork »

Great to hear from you! At 61, you're ready to play flute, an instrument which could bring you to heights you may not have yet seen.

Flute playing is actually good for a person, for not only does it call for sharp reflexes, but it also gets and keeps a human bright and alive.

BTW, I, too, am a Boehm player, for many years before getting to these six-holed wood flutes.

Great choice, and welcome to you!
Last edited by Cork on Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Welcome. I wish I would have found this forum before I started my journey into ITM instruments, I would have saved some time, saved some money, and could have bought some more instruments. Oh well. But what really annoys me is that I taught myself to play left-handed. Some folks have noticed that I play the silver flute right-handed and the irish flute left-handed. I taught myself to play the silver flute after the irish flute and it's impossible for me to play the silver flute left-handed. I tried. Another nice thing about ITM instruments is that no one knows what they are or how to play them so I'm the best irish whistle/flute player they know. Actually, I would be nice to know some other folks.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Hey, Bob! Welcome!

I thought I was the only old guy starting on this wonderful instrument (I'm 53). I did the same thing you did, and bought a Copley and Boegli, but mine has the tuning slide as I play in a church choir - well I WILL play the flute sometime with the choir! I'd been playing the whistle for a while and decided to try the flute and fell in love with it. I started on a Tipple 8-hole (a GREAT flute, BTW - especially with the wedge). I then tried a Dixon delrin, but didn't like how it was weak down low, so ended up with the Copley.

I, also, am a bit of a collector/player. My primary instrument is trumpet, but I have recently been bitten with the baroque/early music bug and now play the baroque/natural trumpet and the cornett (yes, 2 "t"s) and recorder.

Anyway, welcome again!
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Liney Bear

Post by Liney Bear »

Welcome aboard, Bob! There are lots of helpful and knowledgeable folks here who can help you.

Glad to have you here - Gordon
Irish Marine

Welcome

Post by Irish Marine »

Welcome Bob. I'm new to this board (6 mos) and flute in general and think you've made a great choice. I love meeting people that truly believe there's always something to learn, and eagerly take on new learning. As a fellow rock climber and new irish flute player, enjoy both and best of luck.
~Sean
P.S. I miss Joshua Tree now that I'm in NY :(
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

Hi bob,

Welcome to chiff! It is great to see more newbies join lately.
Rest assured that whatever you need to know about fluteplaying (or other stuff) there is always an answer found here, great people with great passion and you are sure to make a few new friends!
Toot sweet
Berti
all music is what awakes within you
when you are reminded of it by the instrument.
walt whitman
larrywcusick

Post by larrywcusick »

Hi Bob. Having played Irish fiddle for several decades, I decided to try the Irish flute two years ago at the tender age of 53. Got a Copley-Boegli (6 keyed) from Doc Jones and haven't looked back. It's a great instrument and now it competes with the fiddle for my time. Can't wait for retirement. If you're ever in Fresno drop me a line and we'll play a few tunes.--Larry Cusick
norcalbob

Post by norcalbob »

Wow, thanks everyone for your kind welcoming remarks and for actually wading through my rather lengthy post. Sorry, I was listening to some music and typing away and got a bit carried away, it seems.
Flute playing is actually good for a person,for not only does it call for sharp reflexes, but it also gets and keeps a human bright and alive.
I couldn't agree more, Cork, I really believe in the adage, "Use it or lose it," for mind, body, and spirit, particularly as we grow older.

mutepoint - playing the Irish flute left-handed and the silver flute right-handed...that's amazing! I have always tried to be ambidextrous, like learning to use my left hand well when playing basketball etc, but switch-hitting with flutes takes the cake. I assume you are naturally left-handed to begin with.

plunk111 and larywcusick - nice to hear from some folks who took up the flute a wee bit later in life than many and have found that it is bringing you a great deal of satisfaction...and it's encouraging to hear that you both play a Copley...can't wait for it to get here! I'm 50% retired now, Larry, and considering 100% sometime soon...easing into it seems to work better for me.

P.S. I miss Joshua Tree now that I live in N.Y.
But you have the Gunks nearby now, Irish Marine. :) I would love to try a few of those ultra-steep Gunk classics someday.

Again, thanks to all, I'm sure I will be back seeking advise soon as I embark on my next little musical adventure.

Bob
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

No, I am not naturally left-handed and that's why really irks me. Right hand on top made sense at the time. Someone explained it here once. If you're playing a keyboard, low notes are played with the left-hand and high notes are played with the right-hand.

It did take me quite a long time to be able to hold a silver flute without major cramping in my hands and arms. It's a neat parlor trick that ensures that I get plenty of personal space with the folk group.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
sbfluter

Re: Newby taking the plunge...

Post by sbfluter »

norcalbob wrote: I have taught myself quite a few instruments over the years including a little guitar, piano, recorder, harmonica, silver flute, and most recently didgeridoo... I seem to be a jack-of-many-instruments and master of none, but all of these musical journeys have been wonderful.

I would love to learn to play ITM well enough to join in with a few others at some point. That would be a most satisfying goal. At the ever ripening age of 61....
Welcome, Bob. It's great to have more newbies come to the board. I'm inspired by people who want to learn new things all their life, too.

I'm new, too. I've learned a few other instruments in my life, and like you I'm a master of none. Your new flute will either end up on the pile with the other instruments or become the evil temptress that takes over your whole life, jealously hoarding you away from all your other instruments and all your spare time. :twisted:

Either way, enjoy the ride!
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
norcalbob

Post by norcalbob »

Your new flute will either end up on the pile with the other instruments or become the evil temptress...
I have to laugh because there is some truth to that statement for me as I look around the house: a piano, a couple of guitars, 9 didgeridoos, a silver flute, a djembe, a Native American flute, a couple of harmonicas, some clapsticks, a recorder, 2 tinwhistles... The tinwhistles and djembe are new to me. So it's never boring since I can always find something musical to dabble with regardless of what room I'm in at the moment.

I actually play the silver flute and the didgeridoos quite a bit, particularly the didges lately. Once I got the circular breathing down pat, I have grown to love playing them and am even making them now. A huge storm passed through Sacramento a few days ago and wreaked havoc on the city trees. Yesterday, I took my chainsaw to a large park nearby and came home with 8 fine logs which, once dried, will become didgeridoos.

My wife just smiles and rolls her eyes. If the Irish flute "takes over my life," and relegates the didgeridoo to the backgroud, I can assure you that my wife and dog will be most appreciative...and probably the neighbors too!
ChrisCracknell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ChrisCracknell »

Another Rock-climber/flute player. Seems to be a common combination. Me too. Also played (and still do) boehm flute for a while before starting the wooden flute.

Although accepting that the two instruments require different techniques is important - in practise, most of what you've learnt on the metal flute helps on the wooden one too. The greater challenge is accepting that the stylistic conventions of the music usually played on these flutes (Scottish, Irish traditional, etc.) are different to those of the music commonly played on the Boehm (i.e. Classically influenced). My personal bugbear was learning to move my fingers minimally on the metal flute (for efficiency in fast passages) but on the Wooden flute in traditional music I have to move the fingers a lot more when articulating - a strike doesn't work for me without lifting the finger significantly higher before bringing it down. Thus a "mistake" on one one was a "requirement" on the other... Also don't tongue everything, but don't listen to people who tell you never to tongue either...

And good luck with it all.

'bye,

Chris.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I don't rock climb but I do climb mountains. On trails. Not with ropes and stuff.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird