Newby taking the plunge...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

sbfluter wrote:I don't rock climb but I do climb mountains. On trails. Not with ropes and stuff.
What she said :D

My wife and I hike whenever we have the chance - usually, several times a week. Lots of good trails in our area, though the closer local ones don't offer more than 1500 feet or so of elevation change.

Does wonders for lungs and stress level. Rather like playing a flute. :twisted:
norcalbob

Post by norcalbob »

ChrisCracknell wrote:
Another Rock-climber/flute player. Seems to be a common combination. Me too. Also played (and still do) boehm flute for a while before starting the wooden flute.
Hi Chris. I haven't met many rockclimbing flute players over the years even though the flute and the mountains seem to be ideal partners. I hope I have a few more years of rockclimbing left in me. I have been very concerned lately since the finger joint pain I developed recently has taken so long to heal. I don't know if it is related to all the intense stress that I have placed on them for so many years, or whether it is just age-related arthritis starting to show up. Regardless, I'm about to return to the climbing gym and begin to get in shape for the spring climbing season around here. I have a deep yearning to return to Yosemite and Tuolumne Meadows to repeat some old classics that I haven't done for many years before I no longer have the physical ability to do them anymore.

It is nice hear that experience on the Boehm flute will be somewhat helpful with the Irish flute. I too have had problems learning to keep my fingers close to the keys on the silver flute, especially for fast passages. An even bigger problem for me, however, has been tightening up and over gripping when a fast or difficult passage is approaching. I can feel the dread rising several measures before the passage, and by the time I get there, I'm mentally gripped and finger-tied. Wow, sounds a lot like approaching the crux on a rockclimb! It's amazing how the mind can get in the way of our physical ability.

At my age I doubt that I will ever become a speed demon on the flute. Maybe I'll have to stick to slow airs! :lol:

Diane and DCrom - Any time spent in the mountains and hiking trails is all good...it's food for the soul.

BTW the flute is scheduled to arrive tomorrow! :)

Bob
ChrisCracknell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ChrisCracknell »

Hi Bob,

I've met a few - although now I think of it I probably meant musicians not just flute players. Though a number of them are flute players. Maybe its the mountain spirit and all that stuff... I'm not actually getting out much right now due to haveing moved to Hamburg (in the middle of an area almost as flat as Cambridgeshire...) and am pretty much limited to the artificial walls at the moment. Still get a lot of hillwalking done on trips back home (Scotland).

Hope your flute arrives today, and if it does, I don't expect to hear from you on this board for a few weeks... :party: Apart from one deliriously happy post describing the new flute of course...

Chris
queensmessenger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by queensmessenger »

Hi to you all.
I'm Doug, live in the Scottish Borders , am 67 and have got a fire in my belly to play flute/piccolo.
Just bought a cheap "Ferris" plastic flute (Yamaha copy I think) and a basic self teach book.
Spending an hour or so each evening having great fun in th Utility room far away from family and producing note B A and G with some gusto.
Also managing to soak the area in spit (see separate forum on this - hilarious.
No teachers in my area as I live out in the wilds surrounded by descendents of the old Scottish Reivers. The noise is frightenning them away just now.
Glad to read the humour and fun in these pages.
Will keep you updated (if you wish) of my progress or demise.

Regards to all

Doug
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Good luck, Doug! We'll be listening for ya! :-)

FWIW, I live on a farm surrounded by the Appalachian version of your Reivers (your descendants' American cousins?). The flute works for a while, but now I've had to resort to the pipes to combat their karaoke machines and car stereos.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
queensmessenger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by queensmessenger »

Thanks cath. Really appreciate quick response.

Got my "Low D" last night. What a struggle but can do it again if I really try. However its not loud enough to chase those blinking reivers.

Doug