South East Tionol 18-20 April coming up!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
maze
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

South East Tionol 18-20 April coming up!

Post by maze »

Hey guys,

Don't forget the East Coast Tionol up in Atlanta this year (may be down for most of you blokes and blokettes)... the weekend of 18-20 April. Should be great fun with our own regular chiffers Kieran O'Hare and Tommy Martin, as well as John Skelton and Liz Knowles on those "other instruments."

Looks like Gary has done a bang-up job with this one again, so register soon to save him the trouble of having a heart attack as the day approaches (trust me, the finances get rather stressful, even with the NPU grant)!

http://www.southeastpipersclub.org
Maze
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

Thanks John!

Yes, we've got a great line up of instructors with Tommy Martin, Kieran O'Hare, Liz Knowles, and John Skelton.

The fun will start Friday night with a session at the Harp Pub, then workshops and a concert on Saturday followed by more sessions back at the Harp after the concert.

Sunday we close with another round of workshops. Taking a great idea from our friends in St. Louis we're offering a couple of specialty workshops.

Tommy Martin will lead a workshop on Slow Airs. The objective is to teach you how to teach yourself to learn slow airs from recordings of other musicians and singers. Recordings of 5 songs and 5 pipers playing them will be presented (e.g. Bonny Bunch of Roses, Donal Og, Aisling Geal, A Stor Mo Chroi and The Parting Glass) With the exception of one, these songs are in english so it will be easier to follow the syllabic structure and emotive phrasing of the song. After examining these songs, other airs that don't have any words will be examined to see what can be done to interpret them as well as we can. Tommy will also spend time on the physical elements of playing airs on the pipes. Tone colouring, vibrato (if and when), octave control, drone control, regulator use, etc.

Kieran O'Hare will lead a workshop on Listening and Learning: Techniques of the Master Pipers. Listen to recordings of some of the masters of piping including Tommy Reck, Willie Clancy, and Seamus Ennis as Kieran identifies and interprets their techniques. How and when should you incorporate these techniques into your own piping. Kieran has a tremendous collection of classic recordings which highlight and contrast aspects of various piping styles. The class will also explore how to effectively listen to piping on recorded sources in order that students might get the maximum benefit from the vast audio resources available to pipers.

Details and an on-line registration form can be found at http://www.southeastpipersclub.org

See you in April!
-gary

P.S. Many thanks to Na Piobairi Uilleann http://pipers.ie/ and the Irish Arts Foundation of Atlanta http://www.atlantairishmusic.com/ for their generous sponsorship.
mayo_piper

Tionol

Post by mayo_piper »

can't wait to see evrybody there...John, is head shaving mandatory or optional? :P
"A man's only as old as the woman he feels..."

~Groucho Marx
Ceann Cromtha
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

I'm about to make hotel arrangements. Has it been determined which hotel will offer participants the group rate fare?

Thanks,
Dan
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

Bump.

I'm putting in the t-shirt order tomorrow, so if you want a shirt please register by the time I wake up in the am.

I'll have a couple of extras, first come first serve.

There are only a couple of seats left in the advanced piping class. Still some room in the other classes, so please register right away if you are going to be able to join us!

regards,
Gary