Christy Barry's set

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Adams_gert
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Adams_gert »

I was wondering, whether these tunes are commonly known and if anyone plays them on tin whistle.
I just like them a lot.
There on the cd called late… in the night . Recorded live in O’Connors bar in Doolin.

Christy Barry’s No 1

http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/get ... rysNo1.gif

Christy Barry’s No 2

http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/get ... rysNo2.gif

Gert
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Both tunes are fairly common, second tune was composed by Anthony Sullivan, and I think the first one too actually but I am not sure there. The second is more often known as 'Sully's', it was, to name one example, recorded by Chris Droney on his Fertile Rock CD. It was only after Kevin Crawford named the two 'The Christy Barry set' on his D Flute album that the latter name caught on.
pixyy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Hallo Gert,
I play these tunes quite often lately. Mostly on whistle but also on flute. It's a great set. I learned them from Kevin Crawford's Dflute Album, where, as Peter mentioned, they got the name 'Christy Barry's set'.

Happy whistling
Jeroen
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

These tunes are played fairly often in Boston - especially a few years ago. They have, however, started to get a bit worn out, sort of in the same book as the Kesh Jig, the Boys of Bluehill and Off to California. They are, however, great tunes. Chris
energy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by energy »

Jerry O'Sullivan recorded #1 on his album "The Invasion" as Sean Coughlan's.

I believe that tune is also called The Roaring Barmaid, but I'm very unsure of that.
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6