Chinese Tradition Bamboo Flute [dizi]

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
kwanchan

Post by kwanchan »

I like Chinese Flute very much. What it has, other than the sound of vibrating membrane, is the sound of "bamboo". The sound of bamboo flute is great, much better than that made of copper or plastic. Some people may not like the sound of the vibrating membrane. You can simply use cellophane tape to cover the hole for the vibrating membrane is, instead of using vibrating membrane.
mitch_i

Post by mitch_i »

I have a couple of them, and I like the sound a lot. The problem is that the membrane goes bad. I've replaced the membranes, but never very successfully. My technique is to cut a piece of rice paper, wet the area around the hole with a little spit, apply it, and let it dry.

I've also tried mixing water with white glue. I'm so frustrated that I'm thinking about gluing on aluminum foil or something. I hope you can offer a suggestion!

Thanks.

Mitch
gcollins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gcollins »

I just use a piece of clear sticky tape and it works just fine.

The rice paper gets beat up, but you can just put some cork grease on the ends to adhere. Rice paper does sound a bit better.
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

I have actually heard that some of the really good players prefer a thin onion skin for the membrane.
Oh about the sticking on of rice paper, just use a weak glue like that you can find in "glue-sticks". Mixing it with saliva is optional but for me I didn't and the membrane has been held there for a while.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

My daughter just returned from China and brought me a traditional Chinese flute. It's a beautiful instrument and plays very, very well. I have to confess I had no idea what that extra hole between the blow hole and the finger holes was for. I had taped it and wondered what in the world could have been the point of it being there.

Dale
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

On 2002-09-05 22:51, Eldarion wrote:
I have actually heard that some of the really good players prefer a thin onion skin for the membrane.
Mistake, I meant garlic skin.
gcollins

Post by gcollins »

Dale:

Good to see you visiting us!

So once you taped the hold, you can now play it?

G