guns of the magnificent 7

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

guns of the magnificent 7

Post by ImNotIrish »

Would someone be willing to post a clip of 'the guns of the magnificent 7' on tenor banjo for me? I don't have a recording of it and am really strugling with the third part of the tune. Thanks, Arbo.
Ro3b
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ro3b »

I don't own a tenor banjo, but I just dashed it off on mandolin: http://www.box.net/shared/ors5djdkws. Sorry for the inaccuracies. I hope it helps.

It might help to practice counting the rhythm of the third part: ONE-and-two-and-three-and-ONE-and-two-and-three-and-four-and-ONE-and-two-and-three-and-four-and-ONE-and-two-and-three-and-four-and-. The first bar is a quarter-note shorter.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Thanks Ro3b. I basically play it the same way you do on the first two parts. The third part is similar. I think I can definitely work with it. Thanks for taking the time to post a version. Good to see you on this forum as well as the flute forum.
Arbo
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

Cool, glad to help!
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Thanks to ro3b for posting a clip of the guns. I am hoping to get a couple more versions, so if you can whip this tune off on any string instrument I would appreciate it. Thanks, Arbo.
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

The Doon Ceili Band (a project founded by Paddy O'Brien) has it on their album Around the World for Sport, but in their setting the third part has been modified to have the "correct" number of beats. Which takes all the fun out of it.
Patrick Cavanagh

Post by Patrick Cavanagh »

A 16-year-old Seamus Egan plays a somewhat individualized setting of this tune on the banjo on his first album. You probably already knew that.
fid.dler

Post by fid.dler »

Ro3b wrote:The Doon Ceili Band (a project founded by Paddy O'Brien) has it on their album Around the World for Sport, but in their setting the third part has been modified to have the "correct" number of beats. Which takes all the fun out of it.
Well, not all the fun; besides, if you want to play it for dancing, you need to even it out. That said, I do enjoy playing it the original way as it was written by Fintan McManus.
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

I dig the avatar, Patrick.