Parks Every Whistle Review...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jason Paul

Parks Every Whistle Review...

Post by Jason Paul »

Since I said I'd do this and I'm sitting here with nothing to do on a Saturday night, I figured I'd write up a quick review of the Parks Every Whistle.

First off - I'm a new/intermediate player, and this is my first review - so take it with a grain of salt. There are a couple of samples at the end of this, and I know I'm probably not doing the whistle justice. But what I specifically wanted to compare was the different settings of the tone ring.

I have practically all of the major cheapies, as well as a Mellow Dog (D and C bodies), Hoover Whitecap, and an O'Brien C/D set in nickel-plated copper. So, I don't have a Burke, Overton, Copeland or other really high-end whistle to compare it to. Keep in mind that this whistle currently sells for $55.

So - I got the Every Whistle from Carey Parks at http://www.parkswhistles.com. I also got the C body. This is the normal Every Whistle - not the 3-piece Walkabout. Total cost was $70 with the C body and shipping.

Fit & Finish
This whistle looks very well made. Even though it's CPVC it looks much nicer. The emblem and key stamp are nicely done. The ramp is nice and even. The head fits very snugly into both bodies. This whistle will NOT accidentally slide out of tune. Also, I don't know what the material is that Carey uses for the fipple, but I like it. It may be just delrin/acetal, but it has kind of a matte finish, which I like.

The tone ring on mine was a little loose and rotated more freely than I liked. I put a little dental floss in the channel under it, and also gave the tone ring a fair squeeze and it's tighter now. It's not an issue.

The D and E holes are fairly large, which I like. I'm not sure what it is (I suspect wall thickness), but the D and E holes on wooden whistles always look larger than their brass counterparts, to my eye. It's the same here, and it makes slides and half-holing easier there.

Tuning
It's pretty well in tune, although a few notes (A and B I believe) had to be blown into tune. Cnat fingered as OXX OOO was pretty sharp, but OXX XOO was just about dead on. Overall, it's pretty well in tune with a couple of notes that may need a bit of babysitting for spot-on tuning. Note that I haven't played with others though - this is just using my electronic tuner.

The C body was not quite as "on" regarding tuning. The D was about 20c sharp, and a few other notes had to be tweaked into tune by adjusting the air pressure. Also, the entire second register is significantly flatter than the first. One other issue with the C body was that to be in tune (bell note), the body is just barely inside the head (about 1/8"). So, I keep thinking it could pop out.

Volume
Being adjustable, this is my quietest whistle. :) However, with the window wide open, it's moderately loud I'd guess. It's a little louder than all of my cheapies, I believe. Also - and I may just need to work more with it - the high B and C# are noticeably louder than the notes below them.

Clogging
I haven't really had any issues with the whistle clogging. I blow out the moisture occasionally, but it hasn't been an issue. It seems to be more noticeable when the tone ring is more closed. The windway is curved and fairly tall.

Playability
This is one of the easiest whistles I've played. My two favorite players have been my Mellow Dog and my Hoover Whitecap on a Feadóg body. The Mellow Dog takes care on the low D to avoid bumping up to the second register. The Hoover takes some extra push to stay in the second register without honking. The Every Whistle is right in the middle. I haven't had any issues with accidentally switching registers (see below though).

Tonal Characteristics
The Every Whistle is a fairly clean, pure tone with a little bit of chiff to it (see below though). Cuts are nice and poppy.

It doesn't really sound "plastic" to my ear (might to some), but it's definitely missing some of the brightness of a metal whistle. This is not necessarily a bad thing though - just a different tone.

Tone Ring
As you probably know, this is the bit that makes this whistle unique. It's a simple idea, but very nicely implemented. And, it works. There's a channel that the tone ring fits into that keeps it in place, but the tone ring can be easily removed if you want (can't see a reason though).

As you close the tone ring, three things happen:

1. The whistle gets quieter.
2. The tone gets more chiff (more breathy than reedy)
3. The overall tuning goes flat (which is easily fixed by sliding the head).

As far a making the whistle quieter, the tone ring really works great. I can close it even further than in the samples below for even quieter play. The tonal characteristics change, but the notes are there, and the breath requirements remain about the same. However the low D is easier to accidentally bump into the second register as the window is closed with the tone ring (one of the "see below" comments from above).

I've found that having the tone ring somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 closed gives a nice, breathy tone and a reasonable volume, while maintaining pretty easy playing.

So, overall I'm really liking this whistle and it has quickly become one of my favorites - if not my favorite. With the tone ring to make playing quieter, I've become more interested in playing the whistle.

Honestly, I've got a couple of other musical interests (mainly Native American Flute and ukulele), and almost decided that I'd spend more time with them because it's hard to practice the whistle without feeling like I have to go in the closet (literally... seriously).

With this one, I'm feeling like I can practice without bothering everyone else. I also feel like I might (at some point) become comfortable playing along with others without feeling like I'm standing out like a sore thumb. It seems to me that a regular whistle with a single guitar and singer might be too loud, but with this one, I can adjust the volume.

I know that you can adjust the volume on regular whistles with a ball of putty, I've done it. But this one just has it built in, and easily adjustable.

I just really like this whistle, and it's renewed my interest in playing.

Oh, and here are a couple of samples - please don't critique my playing. I was really just trying to give an idea of the adjustment of the tone ring. In these samples I did not move while playing - the microphone is the same distance away from me. I'll also say that I used a microphone I got for free with some Spanish software, and I'm using Audacity. So, not the best recording equipment. The only effect I used was noise reduction.

Sample 1 - comparison to Mellow Dog
Sample 2 - tone ring placement

Jason
Bothrops
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bothrops »

Very nice review!

I find the "Everywhistle" the best whistle to practice at home. It's the only whistle I use when I'm learning a new tune, because I can even play those high B's, C's or D's without any worry of bothering someone or getting deaf.

By the way, a time ago I asked Carey what material did he use to the fipple plugs, and he told me it's delrin.

Again, very nice job.

Cheers,
Martin
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Oh, and here are a couple of samples - please don't critique my playing

I haven't heard your playing so this is in no way a reflection on it and I am in no way poking at you review but in general terms, don't you think the way a whistle sounds and how well it is in tune when you play it is directly influenced by how well you are able to handle it and as such is very important to the value of a review? Old problem, old and sensitive issue with reviews and 'whistle comparisons' posted here, I know, but seriously, those things are inseparable aren't they? Also, isn't it pretty silly putting it out there and then demanding it be ignored?
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

I get your point, and thought I might hear from you. :)

As I tried to make clear in the review, my main reason for posting the sound clips was to show how tone ring adjustments affect the volume, and possibly the tonal quality (chiff) of the whistle.

I actually didn't even have tuning in mind when I recorded those. I just played a bit of a tune and made adjustments to the tone ring.

I think my playing is good enough to show the differences in volume affected by the tone ring. I also think my playing is sufficient to tell if the whistle is tuned well.

The D body (used in these samples) is tuned well enough. Most people wouldn't be able to tell that some notes need a little attention under normal playing conditions - probably just when they pull out the electronic tuner. Even then there are only some manageable adjustments in breath pressure.

The C body - which I didn't record a sample of - has more noticeable tuning issues. Again, I was using my electronic tuner. What I did was blow a note with the expected pressure, then try to adjust accordingly. On the notes I considered more of a problem, I really had to significantly change my breath pressure. In the case of the second register, I was really pushing the notes and I think they were still all about 20c flat.

Again, things may be different if I were playing along with others rather than sitting in front of a tuner. The tuning issues may be more, or less noticeable.

On the sample where I compared the Every Whistle to the Mellow Dog, I was hoping to show the difference where the brightness of a metal whistle is concerned. I'm not sure if that sample really does that, and didn't really intend on posting that clip actually. But, I figured I would anyway.

Carey is obviously attentive to his whistle making, and has put thought into actively selling them. So, I'm sure that the C body I have is not the norm.

But really, the main reason for the clips is to show the volume changes made with tone ring adjustments. And honestly, I'd have a hard time doing a real whistle comparison with the recording setup I have anyway. I think that issue even more than my skill level would make for an inaccurate comparison.

Jason
rance

Post by rance »

Jason,

Thanks for the demonstration of volume levels on the Every Whistle.

If I ever need a very quiet whistle, I know where to go.

Rance
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Well, I've been playing the C body for about 30-40 minutes straight and will say that, without my tuner in front of me, it sounds pretty well in tune. The upper register still sounds a little sharp, but it doesn't sound as out-of-tune as the tuner made it look last night.

However, the body is still pulled out quite a bit from the head for the bell note to be in tune. It feels like it could come apart pretty easily.

Jason
Carey
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

Post by Carey »

Hi Jason,

If your tuner says you have to work that hard to get the note it's probably not right. I'll make you a replacement and I'll make it a tad longer as well. I'll need the C body back to be sure the new one fits your D whistle like the old one. Plus I'd like to examine it anyway.

Carey
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com