Flute maker Bruce Du Ve

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ben Shaffer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Flute maker Bruce Du Ve

Post by Ben Shaffer »

I recently saw a picture of a very nice looking Flute by someone named Bruce Du Ve.
I've never heard of him or his Flutes, is he a new Flute maker, or an older Flute maker no longer making Irish Flutes? This Flute was keyless, so I'm guessing the pedigree isn't real, real old.
I goggled his name and came up with a book on spiritualism and location in Ireland. I didn't figure anyone into Flutes would be in to that sort of thing! Just kidding!
:D
Does anyone know anything about this Flute maker and his Flutes?
Ben Shaffer
GSO,NC
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Bruce is an Australian who came to Ireland during the seventies. Himself and his wife, Mary Bergin, made flutes and pipes in Spiddal during the late seventies and early eighties. At some point he went off on his own to become an acupuncturist. One more who couldn't cope with the demands of customers (or so the story was). That would have been around 1982/83. As an aside: One of the apprentices/co workers, Nick Adams, kept making pipes and the odd flute until he decided to become a screen writer and did the Boys from the Co Clare.

His pipes were held in high esteem at the time. I saw a flute in an antique shop in Galway last year that was one of his. They turn up every now and again. Decent work, if of it's time and place.
Máire

Re: Flute maker Bruce Du Ve

Post by Máire »

Bruce now runs The Welcare Foundation, a clinic which has branches on Merrion Square, Dublin and on Abbeygate St., Galway, and of which i am a patient.

Shortly after he came to Ireland, Bruce went to study at the Nanjing University of Traditional Chinese Medicine in China. He undertook post graduate studies in herbal medicine and acupuncture there in 1986-87. On his return to Ireland, he set up three outpatient clinics and a college of acupuncture, now based in Limerick.

Bruce is an inspiring man. He radiates warmth and affection, and looks 20-30 years younger than his age of 59. He is full of funny stories, old conamara stories and sean-nós songs. His tangible, childlike sense of playfulness makes him a magnificent entertainer. Many of his patients, myself in the lead!, consider it their absolute privilege to know him.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

More on Bruce Du Ve, from the IRTRAD-L archives: https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A ... S=&P=90648
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
sjcavy
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes and I have become obsessed with them. But now the antispam software is just irritating the hell out of me so I am typing random crap to get past the minimum 100 character limit.

Post by sjcavy »

Anyone know how I can get a hold of him?
Just a newbie making his way through the world.