Patrick O'hare and chanter - a big misunderstand!!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Gio
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Patrick O'hare and chanter - a big misunderstand!!

Post by Gio »

Hi everybody

Although I doubt that after 8 years something will happen and although I know I should have contacted you many years ago there are moments in life when old bad stories that you believed disappered come up again and every time they hurt a lot.

2000, springtime. I'had been palying for a year or so my Roberts practice set when i decided, having problems with my chanter reed, to send it to a reedmaker to have it fixed. In Italy at that time no reedmaker for uilleann pipes was around and if there was I didn't know any. I was 16 y.o. and passing through "a bit" of problems in my family so I took the easiest way to contact someone who could make me a new reed and looked it up on the net and found a name: Mr. Patrick O'hare.

Fine enough I sent him my chanter and 150 € for a new reed.
"yes, I recieved the chanter and the money I'll send it asap." he wrote me.

Two months later I decided to rang him (which was not easy as at that time I spoke a little english and absolutely wasn't used to northern ireland accent!) but I only spoke to his mother and she said they sent the chanter and I will recieve it "later this week or early next week".
No chanter ever came back.
Tried to rang him three or four time and, after she said "we sent it but returned because of wrong address and, because we moved we lost your address on PC and couldn't re-send it..." I decided either to call police or to swear to them and put and end to this story.

I ordered a new chanter and tried to forget how bad people can make other people's life so difficult.

I was told of being tactful and i hope i was. Remember this is a steal.

If any of you can help me in any way from getting my chanter back to just spread this story around I'll be absolutely grateful.

I could offer a reward but that wouldn't change anything.

Thanks again in advance to everyone.

Gio.
Last edited by Gio on Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
It was proper Bo', I tell thee!
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Cio Gio,If my memory serves me well I seem to remember something similar happening to another forum member about the same time....
Seems like ye have two options
Look up your local friendly Mafia Member in the directory and arrange for a horses head to be sent to Belfast or... put it down to experience and move on.
8 years is a long time and maybe both of ye have changed, as is usual over time.There is no certainty that the other fellow still has your chanter and it may be difficult to prove legally the story after so long...
Ye could try contacting him again and see what he says...after all ye did talk to the boys mother back then and not the man he is today....
Onwards and upwards .What goes around in life invariably comes around...
I am sorry to hear the tale ye tell but I am sure ye have learned a valuable lesson frae it.
Sta Attento amico
Arrivaderla
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Gio

Post by Gio »

apparently someone set this in motion..
fingers crossed hoping for a possible solution.

ps. nice quote...
Gio

Post by Gio »

...and sometimes those stories come to an end.

I have been contacted very quickly by Mr. O'Hare and apparently there has been a misunderstand.

My thought of a steal has been confirmed altough NOT from Mr O'hare but from the postal service. My chanter is lost somewhere between Ireland and Italy.

Therefore I must deny my charge of stealing, and I truly and deeply apologise for it.

Please that the situation has been cleared, once again thanks to everyone involved that made possible this agreement.

Giovanni Varelli.
Gio

Post by Gio »

I would like to add that, confirming Mr. O'hare's good intentions, he informed me that he will send a new chanter as a gesture of goodwill to conclude in the best way these unfortunate circumstances.
buzzer

paddy o hare working for the common piper

Post by buzzer »

It really pains me to write this for a 2nd time but here goes and hopefully it will be left on this time!!!
Firstly I believe that for someone to post a complaint up after gap of 8 years is really a bit much and rather slanderous especially the way it came across with the title.
Secondly I believe it to be at best stupid and at worst libelous that it was allowed on the site.
Patrick O hare is a pipers reed and pipe maker, he often goes beyond the call of duty to help pipers, and here in Belfast he is very well thought of.
I would ask c&f that this should never be allowed to happen again and really it surprises me that there was no apology printed in big letters, by not doing so you are doing the uilleann pipe community an injustice.

le meas,
Buzzer
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Buzzer wrote:...really it surprises me that there was no apology printed in big letters, by not doing so you are doing the uilleann pipe community an injustice
Gio wrote:Therefore I must deny my charge of stealing, and I truly and deeply apologise for it.
Did you not read Gio's 3rd post?
PJ
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

PJ wrote:
Buzzer wrote:...really it surprises me that there was no apology printed in big letters, by not doing so you are doing the uilleann pipe community an injustice
Gio wrote:Therefore I must deny my charge of stealing, and I truly and deeply apologise for it.
Did you not read Gio's 3rd post?
Buzzer wanted big letters.
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

Gio wrote:confirming Mr. O'hare's good intentions, he informed me that he will send a new chanter as a gesture of goodwill to conclude in the best way these unfortunate circumstances.
Please let us know when you receive your new chanter from Paddy. It's nice to hear that he's willing to settle the issue amicably.
Jonathan

Help, Help! I'm being repressed...
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Yes, I think this thread is adequately resolved.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.