Susato Kildare high D : V series or S series ? Please help.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
gerardo1000

Susato Kildare high D : V series or S series ? Please help.

Post by gerardo1000 »

I'd like to buy a Susato Kildare Soprano in the key of D.
They make two models : Small bore and Very small bore.
I like the Very small bore better cosmetically, but it's the tone that counts.
Any suggestions ? Thanks.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

The tone quality on the VSB has a bit of a cutting edge like an oboe, almost a nasal quality, and on the VSB the high octave is a bit easier to control.

The SB has a rounder, more open tone quality, but it is a whistle that requires good breath control in the second octave.

Both whistles are moderately loud, and are well suited to aggressive, assertive play. They may tend to be overpowering in a small session.

These whistles require good breath control to sound good and aren't well suited for learners.

That said, they are wonderful whistles when in the right hands.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
dryer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dryer »

I'm very happy with my S series (D, C, and Eb). I played a V series and the high notes were very shrill, but that whistle was possibly defective.
Mouthpieces matter....I've got one in particular that is ever so slightly "sweeter" than the others, with no obvious visual differences, that said the other two have qualities I like as well. That's the nature of whistles....each has it's own personality. The S series is loud, maybe 6db (4 times) louder than a Sweetone. As already stated, it's not really a beginner instrument, but you'll have a ton of flexibility if you know what you are doing. I'd buy another Susato without hesitation.
Susato has great customer service, with friendly and helpful voices on the other end.