difficulty blowing practice chanter

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
charlie_butterworth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

difficulty blowing practice chanter

Post by charlie_butterworth »

A year or so ago, my wife gave me a practice chanter for Christmas. I have been wanting to learn pipes for quite some time, but couldn't afford a set at all.

Anyway, I found it pretty difficult to blow, not impossible, but quite tiring. I haven't played it recently as I have been concentrating on the whistle instead.

My whistle teacher also plays the Welsh pipes and said that because I am originally from northern England, I should not dismiss learning the small-pipes or border pipes.

OK, so if I eventually invested in a set of pipes, are they as hard to blow as a practice chanter? I am asking this because, I wonder if having a bag helps considerably.

Thanks,
Charlie
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

The practice chanter can be hard to blow at first but you will want to make sure it's not losing air.

Check that the coupling where the chanter top fits on the chanter is not loose. To check the reed for leaks make sure that the blades are lined up and no gaps along the edges. Also make sure that the reed is not loose in its seat.

It's common for pipers to make their chanters easier by putting a dental elastic on the blades. You will probably need to double it on itself for the right tension. Be careful as there is potential to ruin the reed during this process.

But even on an efficient practice chanter you will need to build up stamina both in blowing and in forming a seal on the mouthpiece with your lips. By playing 15-30 minute practice sessions a day you will soon have that stamina.

A mouthblown smallpipe blows at a similar pressure to a practice chanter. With good bag control you won't have to blow as much though. Bellows obviously eliminate blowing.

Whether you move on to the Highland pipe or go with a smallpipe or border pipe, keep playing your practice chanter. It's a learning tool that pipers never stop using no matter how long they've played or how accomplished they become.

Don't let your nationality dictate your instrument. There is something fulfilling about following your heritage but if you really want to play the Highland pipes, go for it. Just find an instructor. John Walsh comes to mind who is from England but is a very accomplished player on Highland pipes and a popular instrument maker.

There has been a resurgence of interest in piping in Northern England, especially in the open-ended smallpipes and in the conical bored border pipes. If you do take an interest I recommend these CDs: Roughshod by Horesplay , English & Border Music for Pipes and Borders Pipes
charlie_butterworth

Aaron,

OK, so I played the chanter just now and it feels easier since I have been playing the whistle.

However, my wife noticed that my right hand looks to be at an awkward angle (she's a bassoon player) and thinks that it could lead to tendonitis. The practice chanter is 18 1/2 inches long including a 3 1/2 inch plastic mouthpiece. I am not that tall, so maybe it is simply a little long for me. If I slope my RH fingers slightly downward, I can avoid the "crick" in my RH wrist.

I suppose, I'll have to spend some more time and work on things before I look at an actual set of pipes. I also have to save money to pay for the pipes. We're saving for a new house for our plot of land and only allow ourselves $50 each spending money. In a year, I may be able to afford a set of Gibson small pipes.

Am I correct that the small pipes and GHB are sufficiently similar to allow a transition from one to the other?

Please excuse my ignorance.

Charlie
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Your wrist adjustment was the correct thing to do. Your hands should angle downwards a little bit. You can check this by seeing if your LH ring finger and RH index form a V. If they do then that is the right position.

Chanter length won't matter too much. Remember that lots of players start when they are 6-7 years old.

GHB and smallpipes transition to each other well. You'll use virtually the same finger technique. Smallpipes are quieter, an octave lower in pitch, and play at a lower pressure.
charlie_butterworth

Aaron,

I really appreciate your reassurance. Next time I am in Flagstaff, I'll check out Thompson Pipes. They stock the Gibson smallpipes, which I believe are interchangeable between Bb and D. They also seem reasonably priced for a beginner.

Thanks,
Charlie