What Kind of Oil for Blackwood Pipes?????

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
psychodonald
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

What Kind of Oil for Blackwood Pipes?????

Post by psychodonald »

Hi Folks: I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on what kind of oil you use for your Highland Pipes? Just came from a "maintance" class on pipes and heard a variety of recommendations. I suppose the most frequently used oil, at least from the class I attended, was almond oil, pharmacy grade with a drop or two of vitamin E oil. Casey Burns, whom most of you know, is a very respected maker of Irish Flutes and says that the almond oil goes rancid and is not recommended by him for the woods that he uses for his flutes (got this information off of his web site, he wasn't at the class). What are your opinions. Thanks, Don.
Jose' Scotte' Este'
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Jose' Scotte' Este' »

I was taught by some wise, old, experienced pipers to use almond oil.
"Luck is important"
Jeff Cullen

Post by Jeff Cullen »

Yes, almond oil. Don't even think about using anything else. The vitamin E is to keep it from going rancid in storage.
Jeff Cullen
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - A.E.
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Oil for Pipes

Post by psychodonald »

Thank you both for your input, it has been most helpful. I just came back from Whole Foods, where I purchased a bottle of Sweet Almond Oil and a bottle of Vit. E. I'm about to have an intense oiling session with all of my pipes and flutes. I contacted Andrew Lenz and posed the same question to him, he has used a commerical bore oil; however, he said that the Almond Oil w/ vit. E is good also.

Just as an aside, one of the persons at the "maintance" (actually the instructor) class that I attended said that his choice of oil was a 50/50 mixture of Safflower Oil and Mineral Oil. I have since checked that suggestion out with some very well respected authorites on the subject and have received a very definate, "don't do it" response. Apprently, Safflower Oil is a drying oil and would leave a "skin" on the pipe. I'm certain that the individual who gave me the suggestion originally was very well intentioned. Just a fine example of what you can run into out there in the pipe world. It certainly pays to check things out as best as one can. Again, thanks to you who have responded, you're the best. Don. :D
texaspiper1987

Post by texaspiper1987 »

I use Bore Doctor Bore Oil. Once I run out, I'll be switching to Grenad-Oil, which is actually extracted grenadilla (African Blackwood) oil. $25.00 per vial, but should be worth it.
reedbiter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OOPS!! Wrong almond oil!

Post by reedbiter »

You do NOT want SWEET almond oil. There should be NO additives, sugars or alcohols. Usually the "sweet" stuff has added sugars etc. You need EXTRA virgin pure pressed almond oil. USUALLY available at health food stores...not your regular grocery store.

Cheers!
psychodonald

Post by psychodonald »

Hi Reedbiter: thank you for your reply. I took a look at the "Sweet Almond Oil" that I purchased from a health foods store and read the lable. It says that it is only, pure Prunus Amygdallus Dulcis (or Sweet Almond Oil), there are no additives, purfumes, or other substances, only pure Sweet Almond Oil. I did put in a bit of Vit. E to keep it fresh. Thanks for watching out for me though. Don.