Greensleeves.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Fatduck

Greensleeves.

Post by Fatduck »

Hey, me again :)

I found this sheet music of Greensleeves as apparntly its a good song to practise as a beginner but I dont think this music is correct?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/90434/Greensl ... for-Piano-

it seems as if theres music missing from the first bar, its e-g-a-b-c-b-a-f-d-e-f-g-e-e-d-e

and it ends there, it sounds good if I add a further -f-d on the end, but then it goes down to C-E am I making some mistake reading this sheet music? Just want to get clarification that my D whistle is capable of playing this? maybe my whistle doesnt have a note required.

I would really appreaciate any light on this, thanks in adance :)
Denny
antispam: No

Re: Greensleeves.

Post by Denny »

it's easy ta find of 'em

MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

FWIW, I downloaded the PDF from the original link above, and it looks fine. On whistle, the tune works better in Am, as in Denny's 3rd version. Just substitute F#s for the F-nats, which puts it into A Dorian. And half-hole or cross-finger the G#s.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Denny

Post by Denny »

should have posted the one with four flats
Protean
Tell us something.: Amateur whistler for 14 years, amateur fiddler for 30 years. Haven't played either much in a while, looking to get back into it.

Post by Protean »

I firmly believe that anyone who writes music with more than 2 or 3 sharps or flats is in the service of Satan.

In our Christmas concert, we had some music with 5 flats, which I got used to well enough, but the 5 sharps still threw me right up to the concert itself. It's really annoying to play a low D# on a violin. I'm so used to just playing that open string when I see a D come across. My hands were moving all over the place. It was ridiculous.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Denny wrote:should have posted the one with four flats
I'd a just sight transposed it into G.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Denny

Post by Denny »

oh, fine....here ya go

I remember when there were fewer smart@asses around
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

All very well, but the way I learnt that tune by ear (probably singing it in junior school to the old Singing Together programmes on BBC Schools Radio) in my childhood was slightly different and I have always felt that the version apparently represented in all the transcriptions above was a classicalised, tidied up setting putting a modal tune "properly" into a minor key.

Based on Denny's first version in one sharp, I'd play/sing it thus:- Cnat, not# in Bars 2 & 10; Dnats, not #s in Bars 6 & 7, 22 & 23: otherwise, as it is. Those D#s/Ebs in particular always grate on my ear! (But not the ones in the cadences with the associated C#s - they're "right".)

The third setting Denny gives is the most whistle friendly in terms of tessitura and accidentals, but still requires half-holed F nats. Here's what I would consider to be an optimum-on-whistle (or keyless flute) setting:
T:Greensleeves
C:Traditional
O:English
Z:Jem Hammond 2:1:09
M:6/8
L:1/8
K:B Aeolian
B | d2e f>gf | e2c A>Bc | d2B B>AB | c2A F2B | d2e f>gf | e2c A>Bc |
d>cB ^A>^GA | B3 B2 ||z | a3 a>^gf | e2 c A>Bc | d2B B>AB |
c2A F2 z | a3 a>^gf | e2 c A>Bc | d>cB ^A>^GA | B3 B2 |]

The 2nd 8ve G# can be cross-fingered xxo xox or xxo xxo on most whistles, and the bottom 8ve A# and G# are commonly available fingered xox xxx and xxo xxx respectively - again, fairly easy-to-learn fingering patterns/combinations.

Also FWIW, although this tune is one that I suspect almost everyone has in their aural memory in some form, it isn't an ideal beginner's tune either for reading music or for playing on whistle because of the accidentals. "Easy" in my book would usually entail sticking to the main diatonic scale, straight-off fingerings, then starting to introduce tunes with cross-fingered c-nat way before venturing into other accidentals. There are so many lovely modal folk tunes, both song airs and dance tunes out there that only require simple fingering.......
Last edited by jemtheflute on Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Fatduck

Post by Fatduck »

Cheers guys, will get to work on that asap.
walrii

Post by walrii »

jemtheflute wrote:The third setting Denny gives is the most whistle friendly in terms of tessitura and accidentals, but still requires half-holed F nats. Here's what I would consider to be an optimum-on-whistle (or keyless flute) setting:
T:Greensleeves
C:Traditional
O:English
Z:Jem Hammond 2:1:09
M:6/8
L:1/8
K:B Aeolian
B | d2e f>gf | e2c A>Bc | d2B B>AB | c2A F2B | d2e f>gf | e2c A>Bc |
d>cB ^A>^GA | B3 B2 ||z | a3 a>^gf | e2 c A>Bc | d2B B>AB |
c2A F2 z | a3 a>^gf | e2 c A>Bc | d>cB ^A>^GA | B3 B2 |]

That's the tune I learned years ago on this side of the pond but with the As in the third and fourth full measures sharpened. If you transpose the Jem's version down from B minor (Aeolian mode = natural minor scale) down to A minor, all those accidentals fall on the C, G and F notes, making that a fairly easy fingering as well.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
McRick

Post by McRick »

Protean wrote:I firmly believe that anyone who writes music with more than 2 or 3 sharps or flats is in the service of Satan.
:lol: Amen! :lol:
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Dameon

Post by Dameon »

I just play it in A minor (pretty much the way the third sheet music Denny posted shows it), which is very easy on the whistle. All you have to half-hole is the G sharps. The standard setting goes down below the range of the whistle, so that doesn't really work. If you learn it in A minor on a D whistle, you can just use the same fingering on a whistle in A to get it in the same key as the standard setting.