clogging?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Pammy
antispam: No

clogging?

Post by Pammy »

Sorry perhaps I should ask if anyone can suggest a D whistle that is less likely to get clogged? than any other.
Is that the word to use when the notes start to squeek and you have to wash the whistle out?
P
Life is good!!!
Even when I am Miss Understood!!!
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: clogging?

Post by brewerpaul »

Less likely than what?

Keep your mouthpiece warm and it'll clog less. Cold mouthpiece + warm, moist breath= condensation. Warm the mouthpiece in your hands for a minute or two before you play. Lots of people warm it by blowing through it, which is counterproductive, if you think about it.

Mix a couple of drops of dishwashing detergent like Dawn in an ounce or two of water and run some of this through the windway of your whistle. It'll help keep that condensed moisture from forming little droplets which clog the whistle.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

I agree that whistles, and in fact all wind instruments, need to be gently warmed before playing.

If a whistle that didn't used to have a clogging problem seems to have suddenly developed one, it might be worthwhile to hold it up to the light and see if you can see anything caught in the whistle, especially in the windway--this can cause all kinds of trouble, including clogging.

I've not had such good luck as some with using liquids to help prevent clogging, but what I have found that works for me is to take unscented, waxed dental floss, and carefully clean all surfaces of the windway with it. I have found this to prevent clogging and to be a treatment that lasts for months before having to be repeated.

Just a bit more on warming whistles, any whistle will sound better when warmed before playing, but some absolutely require it: Overtons, O'Briens, Susatos, and Elfsongs, to name a few, are an entirely different whistle when played warm verses when played cold.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Tongue less.
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Hiya Pam!

There are a few things you can try:
Have a guinness....beers have a drying effect on the salivary glands.
Swish with mouthwash...something drying like Listerine (if you have that in the UK). Same theory.
Try duponol (also sold in recorder shops as AntiCondens). It has a detergent effect: moisture sheets off rather than builds up in the mouthpiece. I got a bottle at Melody Music.
http://www.folkharp.com/advanced_search ... ol&x=0&y=0
The $2.50 bottle has lasted me about 3 years now. to use: Clean out the whistle, and dry it. Put your finger over the blowing end of the mouthpiece, drip in some duponol at the blade end until it's full. Hold a minute or so, then shake it out. Let air dry. You can do this every 6 weeks or so.

The above is my experience as someone who clogged a lot when I first started.

(you can also do the detergent thing listed above. I don't like the taste. Some people like Jet Dry, but it makes my tongue numb. Some people have suggested Dr Bronner's Peppermint sap, but I haven't tried it.)
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Pammy

Post by Pammy »

Tounge less!!!!!!! now that is a thought. I was brought up Salvation Army and playing a brass instrument so was always tounging lots as I do on the whistle and have tried to stop so that might be why mmmmmm
I'll let you know if you are interested
Thank you
P
Life is good!!!
Pammy

Post by Pammy »

Ha
Tongue less not tounge less
Is there a spell check on here
I like the idea of the peppermint thing too

P
Life is good!!!
squidgirl

Post by squidgirl »

Pammy wrote:when the notes start to squeek and you have to wash the whistle out?
Just a suggestion -- when the whistle clogs, you don't need to get up and go wash the whistle out. Just cover the leading edge of the window a little bit with your finger, and blow hard. If there's nothing but liquid clogging, it will spit right out the window or run down the tube.

If this doesn't work (but it usually does), then it might be time to rinse the whistle out. I do rinse all of mine out every week or two, and also do the dish detergent trick if I've been having clogging issues.

Finally, sometimes just blowing harder will resolve some clogging issues. If you're feeling timid about your playing, you may tend to underblow, which makes the whistle play flat and clog up often. My solution is to start with quieter whistles (Dixon trad, custom quiet Hoover whitecap, Everywhistle), and play it with gusto.
cephalopods => weirdly intelligent
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

These work nice. http://www.clogon.com
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
ten or more
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ten or more »

I find that when the last thing I've put in my mouth was coffee or tea, I generate a lot less saliva.
gerardo1000

Post by gerardo1000 »

any whistle will sound better when warmed before playing, but some absolutely require it: Overtons, O'Briens, Susatos, and Elfsongs, to name a few, are an entirely different whistle when played warm verses when played cold.
I thought that plastic whistles, like Susato, do not need to be warmed up, they always sound the same
ancientfifer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ancientfifer »

Tommy wrote:These work nice. http://www.clogon.com
Thanks for posting that Tommy. I have checked this thread several times awaiting instructions on how to "Clog" (toe, heel, tap, shuffle, kick, shufflle........) :thumbsup:
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Actually, this might explain the cause and the remedy.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

fifenwhistle wrote:
Tommy wrote:These work nice. http://www.clogon.com
Thanks for posting that Tommy. I have checked this thread several times awaiting instructions on how to "Clog" (toe, heel, tap, shuffle, kick, shufflle........) :thumbsup:
That's it, I think you have it. Toe, heel, tap, shuffle, kick, shuffle,..... practice then up the tempo a little. Then try along with your bodhran, and tabor pipe. :thumbsup: Oh what fun.....
:party:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I have always found that the little beeds of condensation in the windway get smaller as the temperature increases. Once it reaches an equilibrium, they are small enough to blow-through without affecting the tone.

The most critical spot for clogging is at the windway exit - this is where the windstream is most sensitive - and where any treatment should be aplied most..

I have found that any sort of sugars or tannins can precipitate as coatings on the windway surfaces - that includes beers, and sweet tea - tea has tanins that cause a definite clog. Smoking is probably the worst.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com