Flute Case

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
flutingwax

Flute Case

Post by flutingwax »

Hi,
Does anyone know a maker for flute cases? Or a case that will easily carry an 8 keys rudall and roses type? I have a Murray and the case it comes with is very good but very bulky. I'm planning to travel and I need something smaller, about the size of a silver flute case, that would fit my flute.
Let us know,
cheers
plunk111
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: Flute Case

Post by plunk111 »

Check with Doc Jones (https://www.irishflutestore.com/newsite/index.php?) - I know he carries McGee cases, so I'm sure he carries others as well...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
maracirac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by maracirac »

you have 8 keyed sam murray flute? i didn't know that he makes 8 keyed model...
when sam still lived in belfast one guy makes wooden cases for him, very small and compact, black in colour.
maybe some c&f members have his flute with this case ( i know that m.clarksons have it..), so if they are will to put picture of that case as guideline for you.
marin
pandscarr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by pandscarr »

Northwind cases (www.northwindcases.com) are absolutely gorgeous and Jim Kiel is absolutely lovely to deal with, if you're looking for a french style case.
Little Impulse by Brian Finnegan

...not all who wander are lost...
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I emailed Jim Kiel two times in the past. He never replied.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

A plastic pistol case makes a very inexpensive flute case
that will provide maximum protection.
mcurtiss
Tell us something.: I am not a spammer. If I was, I'd probably like spam and egg sandwiches with a little cheddar cheese on top. Or maybe just pancakes.

Post by mcurtiss »

jim stone wrote:A plastic pistol case makes a very inexpensive flute case
that will provide maximum protection.
good suggestion. This is the one I just bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P3WPHI

not quite the size of a Boehm flute case, but quite portable.
flutingwax

Post by flutingwax »

Yes, it's Murray and it has 8keys (I asked him for more but for some strange reason he didn't put them on :wink: ).
The pistol case is similar to the one I have. It's great but it's very awkward to carry around.

Thank you for the Northwind link. Great cases but very expensive. I'm looking for something like that. I'll be saving my pennies!
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Would be great to see photos of your Murray flute in the flute photos thread!
Levente
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Levente »

... But I think you can buy Northwind cases from Hammy. They are really nice and solid. You might need to alter the inside a bit though as the ones "via Hammy" are sized for his Pratten-breed flutes.

Levente
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

I received a lovely Northwind case together with my new 6-key Olwell. It fits very well and is lovely looking. I plan to have the Cavallaro company make a soft case to go over the hardcase, with a shoulder strap for easier carrying.
pandscarr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by pandscarr »

You might need to alter the inside a bit though as the ones "via Hammy" are sized for his Pratten-breed flutes.
Northwind cases are fitted so precisely to each flute, that it doesn't make sense to go to the expense of having one and then have to alter it. I had a case made for my Rudall - but it doesn't fit my Wylde, which has a slightly longer foot and slightly shorter headjoint! Looking at them, you would think they were nearly identical.

I found Jim Kiel very nice to work with - this was several years ago, and we had a long and extensive email correspondence over the measurements.

If you email him, attach a read receipt, and if he doesn't respond the chances are that the email got filtered out as spam somewhere along the line. That can happen so easily.

P
Little Impulse by Brian Finnegan

...not all who wander are lost...