Reviol Low D whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Deasan

Reviol Low D whistle?

Post by Deasan »

Greetings, Has anyone had any experience wih the Reviol Low D whistles? Are the great whistles? Do you like the black or nat. aluminum color best? I figure that the nat. will not scratch up as much and I understand that they employ cork in the tuning slide. Any opinions oor reviews would be greatly appreciated.

Le deagh dhurachd (Gaeic: With best wishes),
Deasan
gerardo1000

Re: Reviol Low D whistle?

Post by gerardo1000 »

One month ago I sent an e-mail to Maurice Reviol asking if he had a low D in stock. He replied saying that he had to make one.
I replied to his e-mail asking if he could give me more details about the back pressure of his whistles, because I read some reviews where a few players who own Reviol whistles were concerned about a certain tendency of the low D and low E notes to break into the higher octave. He never replied. Perhaps he was offended and saw it as a criticism, while I just wanted to get more info on the nature of his whistles before embarking in purchasing one without having ever played one for real. It goes without saying that I did not order a Reviol low D. Any way, Doc from the Irish Flute Store has a high opinion of these whistles.
Don in AZ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Don in AZ »

Gentleman, I have owned a Reviol Low D with the Low C tube for over a year. Got them from a chap in Australia. The black anodized is beautiful and makes holding and covering holes a delight. The sound is wonderful, with the Low C growling like an Overton, I love the backpressure and it is less than the Overtons I have briefly tried. I get a good lower register volume without any tendency to break, and the high register is particularly strong and clear. Not a hint of problem with the cork, just keep it greased. It is a lovely instrument and I recommend it highly. It looks and is well made.Image

Don in AZ
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Reviols are dandy tooters. The "natural" ones are also anodized so they're actually unnaturally natural...err..or something like that.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
celticmodes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by celticmodes »

Maurice can be bad about answering emails. He responded recently to me that when he gets really busy, emails get delayed. I'm not saying that not answering a prospective client is a good idea, just that my guess is that he wasn't offended.
celticmodes
[Reviol 8 key | Oz Vambrace | Dusty Strings Ravenna | Luna Trinity Parlor]
medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

I own a black anodized non tunable low D reviol and a black anodized tunable set with low Eb, D and C bodies. They have very low backpressure and a fairly high air requirement. They also do have a tendency to break easily on the bottom few notes, however, they sound absolutely phenominal! IMO they are the low whistle that sounds the most like an Irish wooden flute in tone quality. They are definately worth the investment if you are willing to take the time to learn how they want to be played. While I purchased my whistles from Doc, I did exchange emails with Maurice and he seemed like a great guy.
Long live the Low Whistle!
http://pipersgrip.50webs.com
Deasan

Post by Deasan »

Hi,
Are the anodized Reviols as durable as most other unanodized whistles - or more so?
Thanks, deasn