Sligo player Eddie Cahill

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Sligo player Eddie Cahill

Post by ImNotIrish »

Can anyone tell me something about Eddie Cahill? I heard a couple of tunes played by him recently and really liked what I heard?
Thanks, Arbo.
Ceili_whistle_man
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Sligo player Eddie Cahill

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
ImNotIrish
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by ImNotIrish »

Ceili_whistle_man wrote:Try this link mate:
http://www.irishmusicreview.com/veseycahill.htm

I totally agree with the critique. I do like Eddie's playing however.
Arbo
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

from
http://www.irishmusicreview.com/veseycahill.htm
It would be pleasant to write that Eddie Cahill’s Ah! Surely is an album meriting rebirth and, for the most part, it is verifiably so. Sadly, the Shanachie producer again adopted the ‘listening control’ principle which means that Mick Moloney’s accompaniment is far too prominent in the mix. For evidence look no further than The Sailor on the Rock which confirms for all eternity that the flute and mandolin do not make good bedfellows. Moloney’s guitar accompaniment is at times also fairly rudimentary .....
I have always felt that the accompaniment spoilt the flute delivery and I have said so in many places.
But, then, I know little of ITM.
I am just a a LISTENER.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
cormacc

Post by cormacc »

There are a few tracks of Eddie Cahill's playing on a great double album called "John Vesey: Sligo Fiddler" put together by the late Tom Standeven a few years back. Haven't heard "Ah Surely", but it's a much better representation of Vesey's playing than the effort with Paul Brady (or "shafting by Brady", as a friend of mine refers to it) mentioned in Geoff Wallis's review. The liner notes of the recording are excellent -- put together by Standeven, who knew both men very well -- and there's definitely some detail there on Cahill. Can't tell you any more than that though, I'm afraid, as my memory's hopeless and my copy of the the CD is packed in a box somewhere (I'm in the middle of moving at the moment).
doogieman

Post by doogieman »

I agree that there may be some problems with the recording, the mix etc., but there is some truly great playing on this CD. I think Eddie Cahill is one of the best - and you can get a great big helping of the Sligo flute style from him.
2 Blessed 2B Stressed
mimcgann

Post by mimcgann »

Arbo, check your PM.

--Mike